PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Maybe there is a term for it...just don't know what is is. I just had one of the tastiest bowls of tobacco I've ever had. It was so good...I re-lit after it was still going just to enjoy more of a thick accent of the tobacco. Also, the burn was getting kinda lazy and slow...needed to re-invigorate it :) Just wanted to share that one and see if anyone else...double lights?
There's something about pipe smoking...

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Yeah, I do it all the time, typically when it seems it has just about gone out. And you do get that new rush of flavor on the relight. However, I am trying to have the patience to nurse the ember and sip it so that the full flavor comes through. Those who breath-smoke sware by it. I haven't learned it well enough yet.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
All the time. If my pipe seems to be going out, I usually re-light rather than trying to re-kindle the dying ember.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks gents...I sometimes wonder if I'm trying a little too hard...I am a former cig smoker and like to pull hard and expect a smokey outcome. I am learning how to sip the pipe and enjoy the subtle nuisances of the tobacco these days. That's what makes this activity very enjoyable for me. My Father always taught me that everything mellows in time...as I'm sure my striving to get more smoke and flavour will also.
All the Best

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've gotten better at keeping my pipe going, but yeah, there are times when there's nothing for it but to light another match or flip open the Zippo... :puffy:

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I seem to relight a lot, I will get busy doing something and let it sit too long, and have to relight... but it's all good, as it's part of smoking a pipe. Some tobacco is much worse that others at keeping lit. I like one that burns. :) LOL

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@verse
It's probably most difficult for a former cigarette smoker to switch to a pipe, followed by a cigar smoker.
The habit of drawing hard is a challenge to break. But it sounds like your getting there.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
The best way I've heard this issue described is: The novice pipe smoker tries to see how much smoke he can produce. The veteran how little. Keeping a pipe just barely lit for long periods of time is a real skill that can and SHOULD be learned. It's worth it.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
@Teddy...it was Frog Morton (original - frog on a log)...which for me has been a grand slam blend. I also realize I'm saying that as a new pipe smoker, so there are many more that will catch my attention I'm sure, but for now, this is my go to tobacco.
@billypm...I am slowly learning the wisdom you share here for sure. I see my actions here with the guzzling approach as a bit over indulgent, bordering on being decadent. Maybe it's part of the excitement of starting on this journey and realizing that pipe smoking and the plethora of amazing tobaccos is not a means to an end, but a journey to be enjoyed...slowly. I never felt like that with cigarettes...it really was a means to an end.
Thanks for all of your input!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"I see my actions here with the guzzling approach as a bit over indulgent, bordering on being decadent."
I definitely get where you're coming from, though. I've been at this for quite a while and know what I should be doing. . . and then every now and then I open a tin that I just go crazy for. I smoke it too fast, I luxuriate in the great billowing clouds of smoke. . . and I love every minute.
Enjoy these moments. Because as you move along in your journey, they'll probably be outnumbered by the smokes that are much more careful and measured. Or, sometimes, just plain "okay." When you come across blends that really break through and strike the perfect note with you, I say: Embrace them!
Bob

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
And I'll add that there are no hard and fast rules here. Smoke the way that makes you happiest. All the advice in the world is only toward that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.