PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
For those who don't know The Quiet Man is a 1950s movie and is full of pipe smoking scenes, almost throughout the entire film. And, it's really good!
Can anybody recommend any more similar movies with lots of pipe smoking?
I am in the UK doing my MSc and have come across 'Masters of Cinema' labelled blu ray releases, which are classic remastered movies, so just looking to see which I should add to my collection.
Thanks all!

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
First let me say that The Quiet Man is what I consider the single best John Wayne film; great story and ensemble of actors.
Suggestions (while I cannot specify a host of films); here's an idea to start:

Identify actors who legitimately smoked pipes and try their movies.

People like Bing Crosby or Fred MacMurray.

Sherlock Holmes films.

Stick to the 40's/50's era as pipe smoking was more prevalent then.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
One of my favorite pipe smokigng movies is I Am The Law starring some actor who resembles my avatar. Pipe smoking in a couple scenes figure prominently in the personality of EGR's character. And Robinson smokes a pipe quite often in The Stranger. When he breaks his pipe at the end of one scene. the next scene with a close up of the repaired pipes reveals a character trait of the Mr. Wilson character.

Jun 4, 2014
I agree the Quiet Man is one of John Wayne's finest movies. The 1937 version of Captains Courageous has some good pipe smoking scenes. Almost all the Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies feature pipe smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Quiet Man is probably John Wayne's best movie, indeed. The brawl at the end goes on and on, before he makes peace with his opponent. Jimmy Durante, the vaudevillian who later succeeded on TV and who was famous for song and dance, remembered an extended fight he'd had. I think he grew up in Brooklyn, and I think the fight arose over an insult over his oversize nose, which became his showbiz trademark. As he described it, the fight went on for more than an hour and went around several blocks. He didn't tell it like a tall tale; it sounded like that was what happened. I remembered Durante when I thought maybe the fight in The Quiet Man was extended beyond likelihood.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Lord of the rings

The golden boys (highly recommend)

Holiday inn

Hatfields and McCoys

The Wolfman

Men of Honor

There will be Blood

Paint your Wagon

Ghost and Mrs. Muir (personal fav)

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Not only for pipe smoking is The Quiet Man notable. Several of the intimate moments between Wayne and O'Hara were some of the most erotically charged scenes in any movie ever. Rumor has it they were having a torrid affair at that time which would explain what ends up on the screen.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Here's a nice stick to beat the lovely lady with!
Best. Quote. Ever. I still use it to get my wife's goat. lolz
It has always been my favorite John Wayne movie.
I would have to agree with Ray, though.
Mr. Blanding Builds His Dream House
This is the most pipe culture centered film I have seen. And Cary Grant is my favorite actor of all time.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
<p>The Quiet Man is by far by favorite Johm Wayne movie. The scenery is great and the story is well thought. I also enjoy Victor McLaglen's character. And the feisty O'Hara

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Brad, I am right with you on the quality... but I need to throw in one more. I am not sure which, but I am leaning pretty heavily towards Hatari! It is another film that has no equal.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
It's hard to pick a bad John Wayne movie made after Stagecoach in 1939. But I would have to say The Conqueror is the absolute worst. Probably the worst movie ever made before 1980.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
One scene of the Quiet Man was filmed on the grounds of Ashford Castle (which was owned by the Guinness family). It's a hotel now and they loop the movie 24/7 in every room. There's no finer place to enjoy John Wayne's best with a guinness and a pipe then the hotel bar.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's my Saint Patrick's Day viewing choice, light and funny. Ford made the movie so he could write off expenses as he showed off the island to his friends. He included every Irish stereotype possible, drinking, fighting, religion, the IRA, the treatment of women, etc with humor and accidentally? made a very enjoyable movie. Even he was surprised at how well received it was in the US>
As an aside, should you wish to have a sweater or tweed "flat hat" similar to those seen in the movie, O'Mally's (US spelling) in Galway City, High Street, made the costumes for the movie and is still owned and operated by the family. The wool sweaters are still hand-made by ladies up and down the Irish West.
But, John Wayne in Red River is at his deepest and best. Just my opinion though.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Warren, thanks for the reference to OMaille (google friendly spelling). It seems they also provided and designed much of the wardrobe.
Here's a link to what they have to say about the film which includes an awesome photo in which many pipes are smoked. If someone would take the time to simply paste it here I would be obliged. Worth the look ,regardless.
https://www.omaille.com/about/the-quiet-man/
PS The hat is beautiful.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
the-quiet-man.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.