PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I received 2 oz of granulated perique from 4 Noggins on Wednesday and went to work.
My first round of experimentation went like this: I load a pipe with Carter Hall, dumped it out, added a pinch of the perique and mixed it in a chinese food soup lid. I loaded the pipe back up and lit up.
Result: It didn't taste very much like Carter Hall anymore but it was definitely stronger. Stronger like my back got sweaty and that hadn't happened since the first time I smoked Night Cap when I was 18 years old.
Second Round: Today I very unscientifically threw some Carter Hall into a plastic baggie, tossed in some perique and shook it up. This produced enough for three pipes. Again, the result didn't taste much like Carter Hall either but the strength was a bit less but still potent. It created a nice, relaxing smoke that tasted smokey (almost peaty).
Round Three: This evening I weighed out 1 oz of Carter Hall and then weighed out 1/3 of an ounce (about 10 grams) of perique. Mixed it up in a tupperware sandwich container, where it is still residing, and let it sit for two hours. I let it sit not because I thought two hours would help marry it but rather we made dinner and then watched some Netflix (not crucial information but this is the experiment as it unfolded). I finally was able to load my pipe and I am finishing the bowl now. This result is pretty much what I created earlier today by throwing things together (plus the benefit of a full stomach). The first light did taste and smell like Carter Hall but I put that down to inconsistent mixing. After a few puffs, the perique showed up again and remained for the remainder of the bowl. The smell in the container, I will, say does smell like what I've been calling this, Carter Hall Plus. The flavor is consistent through the whole bowl (except in spots where there was uneven mixing) and I would have to say that consistent flavor is dominated by the perique. I havn't smoked a bowl or straight perique (nor do I have an intentions of doing so) but I have had a good share of blends with perique it so I think I have a good handle on what it tastes like. The Carter Hall influence is still very obvious as it does mellow it the perique but still gives it plenty of room to flex it's muscle.
This is exactly the blend that I wanted to create so I will say that I will call this mission accomplished. Now I just need to do the economics to see if this blend will be feasible going forward.
I want to thank everyone that added opinions to the original post and for reading my results here. If this gets to be boring then I will take roth's suggestion of Izmir and I will report back on that.
For posterity: The recipe as it stands is about 1/3 oz (10 grams) of granulated blending perique to 1 oz of Carter Hall.
Also, I will add to this if I tweak the recipe too.
Thanks everyone!
-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.