PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, that's a shame. I guess there are cobs, and then there are COBS. They obviously have different quality tiers, as would be expected, but still.
I have an old Freehand cob that I bought about 30 years ago. I still smoke it fairly regularly. It's still going strong. I also have a newer one that is about a year old. The older one is so much better made. The newer one is already showing scorching around the rim. I think I paid like $25.00 for the older one, so that would make it cost about $55.00 today. But I think it just may outlast me.
Checking current prices, I found that they still make the Freehand, for $24.49. The main difference between the two that I can see without handling the newer one is that mine has a pencil cob shank with an insert for the tenon, and the logo on the bottom is stamped into the hickory plug. The newer one just has a stamped wooden shank, and I think a sticker on the hickory plug. Also I've seen lately that folks are having problems with the things just coming apart on them. That's not good.
Oh well, who knows. The newer one just may last a good long while too.

It would be nice to see better made cobs again, but most folks seem to prefer the low prices of the current ones.

Mar 1, 2014
I think quality went up very recently. Last year my Generals were soft bottom but the ones I bought this year have wooden plugs. Not to mention the Wizard seems better put together than anything I handled last year. It's a beefy Cob too.

I just put a special finish on one of my Wizards and I'll be using it with an acrylic stem.
I think they should sell the Wizard in a version with the MacArthur shank, that would pretty much be ideal for me (the plastic stems have a better draw and are less expensive, but I like to keep my distance from the bowl so the extended shank is best).

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
The cobs the OP is referencing are not Missouri Meerschaum; they are cheap Chinese cobs included with each monthly shipment of Pipes and Cigars tobacco of the month club. They are widely regarded as being total garbage, and the OP just proved it.
Comparing a Missouri Meerschaum to one of these is like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo: in theory both get you from point a to point b, at least until the Yugo gets blown off the Mackinaw Bridge.
P and C gives these away for free because Cigars International (sister company of P and C) had a huge gross of them, and needed some way to get rid of them.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Yes michiganlover is totally correct. These were NOT Missouri Meerschaum cobs but the beyond cheap Chinese cobs. I just posted this because while many know these Chinese cobs are complete junk, to have two burn out so quickly was interesting in a way. I could tell it was happening when the sparks would fly out of the side where the burn out was starting.
Maybe P&C should consider dumping these as I was burned slightly on my hand by the sparks. Now considering the proximity of the pipe to someone's eyes, I would not want anyone to get injured. Mine are now all in the trash can where they belong.
The MM cobs I have, especially my CG are great. Even the bag of seconds I got when first starting are far, far superior to the Chinese ones.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
A seconds bag of MM Cobs are better than the top grade the Chinese importer company hasn't made yet, just saying.

banjo

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Maybe P&C should consider dumping these as I was burned slightly on my hand by the sparks.
Given the history of burnouts on these cheap cobs, one has to wonder why P&C has anything to do with them. Better no free swag with an order than the kinds of problems these pipes bring with them.
-- Pat

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks booker, I didn't know that about the sticker on the bottom of the ones with no plug.

Before you cob lovers start lighting your torches and reaching for your pitchforks, just know that I like cob pipes. I've had quite a few over the years, and still own a couple.

But I think it would be nice to be able to buy a better built cob. I can see paying a little more for one. I've talked to MM about my Freehand cob before, and was told that to make one like it today would be cost prohibitive. That's a shame.

zitotczito, didn't mean to sidetrack this thread, and I'm relieved to know that those free pipes aren't MM pipes. So now I'll just back out gracefully if you don't mind.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Zito, you are a brave man. I didn't know anyone was brave enough to light one of those up! I gave mine to the kids for snow man decorations.. :wink:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
dcrguns +10
I do not willingly ingest nor put anything in my mouth produced in china. For all you know the glue holding the plug in has lead, arsonic, and kryptonite in it...
and then there are the toxins in the stems!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
you can't beat a General. $10 for a nice size bowl with a hardwood plug.
Hardwood plug is way overrated...I tried it and it took me half an hour to floss the splinter from my teeth.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
You know I'm just surprised that P&C even has these in inventory. Yeah they're giving 'em away, only because they weren't selling? Still you shouldn't pass known crap on to you customers.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Mine went straight to the garbage when I opened the box. They shouldn't even give them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.