PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Any answers to this will necessarily be subjective. I'm not looking for general guidelines exactly, but want an inkling of how other smokers think.
Given that Cobs are highly recommended (I've got my first, a Huck Finn, on the way) and they cost so little, I'm wondering about non-Estate pipes that sell between the entry level cost of a Peterson, which is $96 for a Donegal Rocky, and the Cob. For one thing, I'm wondering how, if Cobs are so good, how can any Briar be better or worse? Or a Ukrainian Peachwood, for another choice. Another thread here tells me Cobs are durable enough to last for years, so the durability of wood apparently isn't a primary factor.
Do you have favorite brands that sell below $96, and others in that range that you avoid because you judge the brand inferior? What brands do you view as good buys in this range, and which not? Personally, I'm drawn to Petersons, then, for the next higher level of cost, Radice, then Rinaldo for the next level up. But, subjectively, I view pipes below the Petersons as less desirable. At the same time, given the popularity of Cobs, I suspect my view isn't fair, since I'm assuming inferior quality, not simply aesthetic attraction. Aesthetically, I love the design of Dunhills, and I'm probably judging other brands aesthetically from there.
Aside from aesthetics, there is quality, and I don't want to conflate the two concepts when judging brands.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Value is a subjective quality. But that said I find most decent pipes (brier) today fall into the $100-150 range. Savinelli, Stanwell and Peterson are all good examples. Each may offer an entry level pipe but the bulk of their offerings are well above that price point. In fact they also offer some pretty expensive grades as well. A good Brier will last several lifetimes if properly care for. I smoking many that were lovingly smoked by someone else before me. As a value the cob is hard to beat but one doesn't expect it to last a lifetime let alone several. The cob isn't the benchmark by which other pipes should be judged. That's not to say they are somehow inferior to other pipes. Many swear by them and for good reason but it's more like apples and oranges. IMHO pipes significantly above that $200 price point represent artistic craftsmanship that adds to their cost and value. Do they smoke better, some swear so. Me, I'm not so sure. I own a few fine smokers that started life as "basket pipes". One thing appears certain, a pipe from an established maker is usually a good bet. They have their reputation invested in it. And that is something of value to them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are plenty of pipes below the $96 point that are excellent smoking and are offered in a wide variety of shapes and finishes, sizes and size bowls, etc. French pipes offer good bargains. Brands such as Chacom, Butz-Choquin, Genod, and Ewa are examples. P&C carries some well manufactured Stanwells, brushed brown and black series, for less than $50. And so on. Parker by Dunhill at Cup O Joes, Britannia at C'Joes, Amadeus and Capri at Iwan Ries, and on and on. These are generally well engineered, good looking, durable pipes that will last for a lifetime with modest care. Most of us wander into higher priced lines when we can afford it, but you can fully enjoy the best of tobaccos in these work horses and do so for years and decades to come.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Here's an observation from a (relative) newbie...I started smoking last August, and I don't know what a "good smoker" is. I don't know, because I don't think I have a "bad smoker" in my modest collection--but of course I might have ALL bad smokers in my collection, and I just don't know any better.
At any rate, I have two Pete's, two Stanwells, and a MM cob. And they all smoke just fine--no discernible difference (to me) between my Pete's and my more modestly priced Stanwells. I'm more likely to blame myself than the pipe in either case, if it smokes wet, or hot, or whatever. I just feel like its probably user-error.
Feel free to send me a Dunhill (for education purposes, of course!), and I'll get back to ya! :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As for lasting, I have a Briddell of Chrisfield pipe with sterling lattice around the bowl that is over 70 years old that smokes great. As for cost, sometimes you are just paying more for the name. Rossi makes excellent pipes that can be had for less than $100 on SPC.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My first briar was a little dr plumb pocket pipe, it was around $50 i think, and i still smoke it most weeks, its not my favourite but its a nice little pipe, light and small bowled, and has the added sentimental value of being my first briar. I got a used savinelli from smoking pipes for $50, and i dont think the thing had even been smoked!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Pipes adhere to the same rules of nearly every other material item or service....you get what you pay for! I'm not trying to be curt or give you a smart ass answer, but the more you pay for an item the more features you will get, whether that is better fit and finish or better briar or a more comfortable stem or better air flow etc.. That doesn't mean you cannot be perfectly happy with an inexpensive briar or a cob; it simply means that the extra money you pay gets you more of the qualities that many people desire in a pipe. I hope you take this answer in the sincere manner in which it is written, as I have no desire to start the cob vs. briar argument again.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Philobeddo - I didn't intend this to be Cob vs Briar, so your reply fits my intent just fine. Thanks for participating in the conversation.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Dr Grabow pipes often get overlooked, but they always deliver a great smoke. I smoke my Grabow's more than any of my other pipes, and some of them don't look to shabby either.
seBgfJAl.jpg

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Price is just the value you agreed to pay for the pipe. If you really look around you will find many high priced pipes for under $96 in the estate market. Of the 50+ pipes I have I have only spent over $96 on two or three. My latest acquisition was a 1950's Meer in its original case made in Paris, it's in perfect condition and I only paid about $45 for it.

Mar 1, 2014
Yesterday I did a bunch of filework on the buttons of two of my pipes. The button on the $280 pipe was rough enough that I probably should have returned it when I bought it (I kept it because I really like the overall design). The $76 pipe was nearly flawless in execution.

I will probably prefer the more expensive pipe when all is said and done because a wider airway was used, but there's nothing stopping Savinelli from using a different size drill bit, and to a large extent that's just personal preference.
The biggest problem with my $40 Rossi was excess bowl coating clogging the draft hole.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Poor, poor Medico. No love here for one of the more affordable pipes I've seen.

When I started my piping last May, I took to the 'bay' and picked up some 'values' for my rotation. Some of them arrived in unsmoked condition. I haven't smoked 9 Medicos I got for less than $50.00. I plan to use them as bait for a higher end pipe, eventually.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think, simply, yes, you can find plenty of good pipes for that pice. I only own 2 pipes worth more, but both were estates and $115 was the highest I paid.
I've had really good luck with Savinelli. I own 5 and they all do well. My best smokimg pipe is Savinelli Roma, bought for around $80. It's ust awesome- smokes better than my pipes worth twice as much.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
When it comes to pipes under $100, Sébastien Beo is on the top of my list. They are tremendous little pipes made of fill free Algerian Briar with moulded vulcanite stems and modern drilling / engineering.
These pipes are sold at smokingpipes.com.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
As said above by many members, my thinking is similar that there are lots of good pipes below the $100 price point, especially in the estate market.
A bit of additional thought on this: in 1960s, the median annual income was just around $4000, and a *new* Dunhill pipe (which can be an index for luxurious pipes) costs around $20-$30 from shell finish to the higher grades, which is about the 0.5% to 0.75% of median annual income of people.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States#Over_time.2C_by_race_and_sex)
62owli2.jpg

(from pipepages.com 1962 Owl Shop Catalog)
In 2014, the median annual income was around $52000, and a new Dunhill costs around $600-$900 new, and is about 1.15% to 1.73% of the annual income, a more than 100% increase by perception of income since 1960s.
I think not only housing (especially land price) and utilities have become much less affordable over the years since the 'good old days', so as pipes and tobacco smoking as a whole.
@ maxx

Oh yes, in 1960s, you can buy 3 new top grade Dunhills with less than $96. :wink:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Most of my pipes fall in the $70-$150 range and all are good smokers as far as I'm concerned. I only have a couple that cost me more than $200 and although they are very good looking pipes they smoke no better than my others. One of my favourite smokers, the one I usually take to work, is a $30 Capri Gozzo. I've not smoked a "high end" pipe so can't make that comparison but I am very satisfied with the way my "average" price pipes smoke. As far as brands go I have a nice mix of Brighams, Savinellis, Petersons, a couple Rossis and I'm waiting on a $70 Ropp sandblasted Canadian from Smokingpipes that I can't wait to smoke the heck out of. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.