Tags:   

The Psychology Of Cellaring

(128 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by aimlesswanderer
  • Latest reply from ophiuchus
  1. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

There are people who think cellaring is crazy.
    There are people who think NOT cellaring is crazy.

Who is right, and who is wrong? Well, that comes down to the individual concerned. There is NO universally correct approach.

To the casual observer, there are two apparent "factions" in the pipe world; the "must have's" and the "don't care's". The "must have's" seem to have decided that they will be a pipe smoker for the rest of their lives, and are actively (sometimes frantically) trying to future proof themselves against rising prices or potential lack of availability. Sometimes having squirrelled away enough to last them the rest of their lives, they still feel utterly compelled to keep buying more and more. The "don't care's". Seem to actively choose to be at the mercy of legislative changes, and have no stash to fall back on should prices rise or products become unobtainable. There are people in each camp who look upon people with the opposing mindset in sheer disbelief, and even openly mock them. There are also, of course, many people who fall between these two extremes.

I believe that cellaring several years or decades worth of ANYTHING (not just pipe tobacco) is a reaction (some people may say over-reaction) to a deep underlying anxiety. Some anxieties in life are rational, and some are not. Some start off being rational, and then get out of control. It is down to the individual to examine their own anxieties, and decide for themselves the rationality of their own thoughts.

Personally, I have chosen to live without the anxiety.

This comment may sound flippant, and indeed may even read as condescending or derogatory, but I have had to put a lot of work into eliminating some of my own life anxieties, which I am not prepared to discuss here. I have also had some training in addressing this with other people - again, not for discussion here. I will say however, that as a former cigarette addict, part of my own perspective is a very strong aversion to feel controlled by a need for something. I am consciously aware of this and have made life choices accordingly. My anxiety about becoming dependent (again) trumps any anxiety I might have about future costs or availability of pipe tobacco.

If people feel more comfortable addressing their anxieties in a different way to me, that's entirely their choice. Providing it truly IS their free choice. With real life friends who engage in any form of of stockpiling, I would try to ensure they are doing this consciously and thoughtfully rather than impulsively or obsessively.

Awareness and free choice underpin whether our decisions are rational or not. It's perfectly fine to cellar if you do so with an open mind and rational thought, and not just to satiate a deep and not consciously recognised anxiety. Also if it is done with disposable income only, and essential bills do not go unpaid due to these anxieties, or compulsively hoovering up all available stocks before anyone else does. However, it's also perfectly fine to not cellar and just buy as you go if that is your choice, again if you have made the conscious decision to accept whatever legislative changes come your way. Even if those changes mean at some point you may never be able to smoke a pipe again.

While I do not cellar, and I have no problems with other people cellaring, I do have concerns about "promoting" cellaring and creating anxieties in other people that wouldn't ordinarily be there. To me, this is becoming commonplace in online discourse. These anxieties can (and do) become infectious, and people who would otherwise be perfectly comfortable without cellaring, have the anxieties effectively imposed on them through group psychology. Imposing our anxieties on others can have a negative effect on their lives. We've all seen newcomers to the pipe start stockpiling several kilos of leaf, or asking what they should cellar, before they've even discovered their own personal tastes or overcome the "hurdles" of tongue bite, relights, ghosting, or which leaf works best in which pipe. Stockpiling because they think they should, based entirely on the actions and anxieties of others.

Personally I think we need to be careful to not get caught up in what is "right and wrong", and to both respect the life choices of others, and ensure they are not merely becoming victim of the life choices of others. If we truly wish to help our fellow man in this regard, we should promote awareness, free thought, and a balanced approach to the perceived risks.

Both ways.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, do what you want and accept that others come to different conclusions. Got it.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cellar; therefore, I'm not anxious.

More to your point.....I started cellaring hard and deep a few years ago and have approximately 180 pounds cellared. The FDA deeming has had very little effect for me. No anxiety.

I really enjoy Klondike Gold, but it has gone the way of the Dodo. No worries, it's very well represented.

Are there baccys that I'll miss....maybe down the road....a very long road.

We each have our own journey and your mileage may vary.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. wlrountree

wlrountree

Login to Send PM

Very well written and I enjoyed the read. I am in the no-cellar camp at the moment, but it's mainly because I cannot simply buy a new to me blend, and not smoke it. I am very interested in seeing what some age will do to some of my blends, but I simply have not put forth the effort to make it happen. Also, as I mainly buy in bulk, it would take extra time and energy to package up whatever I decided to cellar. I do understand that if you have a certain blend or maker that you smoke with any regularity, you may want to put it away to avoid cost increases or shortages. I do not have anything that would fall into a regular smoke for me, and I doubt it will change.

You can't learn to ride a horse by watching it run around in a pen
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have watched the price of a pouch of tobacco go from $2 - $3 steadily up to $35. Then they decided to outlaw, out right ban, aromatic tobaccos. It will only get worse and that is why I cellar. When they finally ban internet sales I will smoke my meagre hoard until it's gone and hopefully have a homegrown substitute. No, not that homegrown.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep trying to read this, but then the damned squirrels keep crawling out of the dark spaces on the screen and attacking me. It's really obnoxious as to why you would have written this with so many squirrels tucked away behind the letters.

I cellar, because I can do what I want. Once the asteroid has hit us, and the martians have feasted on the spinal fluids of all of our governments. I will be the guy laughing on his big pile of tins. They may force me to work in the pixiedust mines while shooting pure kryptonite into my brain, but I'll be laughing. You'll see, ha ha, you'll all see!!

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have also had some training in addressing this with other people - again, not for discussion here.
    Followed by:
    I do have concerns about "promoting" cellaring and creating anxieties in other people that wouldn't ordinarily be there.

Kind of seems like you went ahead and discussed addressing this with other people. An interesting discourse, but it sure got a bit preachy at the end.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen quite a few guys who either got sucked into cellaring, or had the money at the time... but, then they came back to sell off everything because the credit card bill came or they lost their jobs. If you can't cellar don't. If you could but then cannot any longer, then sell. Usually, we will take your losses off your hands for a fair price. Unless you start wanting more money for age or jacking up the Esotericas... then you can just sell it to the squirrels, or ebay... same thing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It all comes down to security, or lack thereof, and certainty, that you will have what you want, when you want it.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have absolutely nothing against cellaring tobacco, nothing at all. I just wish that folks would have a thought for their fellow smoker before clearing the shelves of suppliers in one fell swoop. There really is enough to go around if we all buy sensibly.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has there ever been anyone who has done that Jay? I can't recall anyone ever boasting of doing that on here. Are there people in Cornwall that do that?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

In a few minutes I will take on my shoes and cross our street and walk into the tobacconists shop and buy 100 grams
    of My Own Blend 111 as the tin is empty. We shall have a chat about wind and weather,that is important.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

Kind of seems like you went ahead and discussed addressing this with other people. An interesting discourse, but it sure got a bit preachy at the end.

I actually rewrote the last bit several times because I also felt it was getting bit preachy. Maybe I was trying to preach that we shouldn't preach....

It also seems that some people who cellar took exception to me saying I have no problem with people cellaring, and trying to balance the post by pointing out the downsides of not cellaring.

I guess I failed. Maybe I was destined to.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not upset with you, aimless, just pointing it out. As I said, it is a very interesting conversation. I appreciate the post, as it caused a fair amount of reflection.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I failed. Maybe I was destined to.

I thought it was a damned good post. Except for the squirrels. Keep em coming... well... except the... you know...

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm one of the in between guys. I wouldn't mind having a nice cellar, but I cannot get in over my head. I have enough for today, tomorrow and some days ahead, although not as many as others. The overall total is not enough for the long haul, but I buy as I can.

Jason
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread. I think the OP brought up some rarely addressed issues.

The more time I spend on pipe forums, the more pipes and tobacco I find myself buying. And, if you're not careful, it doesn't take long to feel left out or like you are the lone idiot who is going to regret it when you see other people socking away hundreds of pounds of tobacco and discussing to no end looming FDA and other regulations and possible prohibitions.

It's easy for me to see how some small anxiety can arise from this, and I've felt it myself. For people particularly susceptible to this kind of influence, I can also see how it could easily blossom from a small anxiety to a big problem. It's just like drinking in that sense.

The one thing I'd like to point out about the OP is that it doesn't take into account that some people also cellar tobacco for the same reasons they cellar wine: to have what they want available when they want it and to age the commodity to their liking. I don't know that there is any anxiety underlying or associated with this class of cellarists. I've been cellaring wine for decades and don't feel the least anxious about it (whether as motivating factor or result). That said, I don't hang out on wine forums awash in news of the latest great vintages, limited allocation offerings, or disappearing favorites. That might make me anxious.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few folks have announced snapping up a limited supply of-- whatever --, that is not the issue, on any given day anything can happen. As a matter of habit, well, you can only smoke so much, and I really think a lot of fears are overblown on the future of tobacco, but as a matter of hoping to later gouge weak-willed people and make a living at it may not be the most noble thing on the planet. But that is your right.

What is really at issue here is sites either not limiting how much you can buy so it gets spread around more, or even better, some of these companies out there stepping up production! Unless they are really afraid of getting stuck with inventory.

Thing is, this whole mess only came up a year or so ago and demand for tobacco has really jumped--- and it can take 1-3 years to produce a batch of many of the most sought after blends.

Let's not lose sight of the real villain here, our good ol' FDA.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a small cellar. I try to stock my cellar anytime there is a good sale and I don't cellar out of anxiety but to get tobacco I love at a good price. With NY looking to implement a tax on goods purchased online as well as their 75% tobacco tax I may as well cellar what I can while it's still affordable. Also cellaring for me is equivalent to aging cigars. Why wouldn't I want to smoke well aged baccy?

For example that summer sale on top of the 20% off discount code from P&C had me buying my favorite H&H tins for $6 per tin. How can I not cellar at that price?

Another good example is PS Luxury Twist Flake that I got for about $1.80 per ounce from P&C when they had a sale on PS tobacco's. Wish I could have combined that sale with the 20% off code but they weren't overlapping.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot imagine a company ever limiting how much someone can buy online. I can see a B&M just releasing Esotericas to walk ins only, because it would increase the sales of pipes and other items in the store. Basically, using rare blends as a way to get more people through the door. I have mentioned this to Skip at The Briary, but he says that if someone calls and buys all of it at once on the first phone call, it saves him a lot of work mailing out a hundred separate boxes if he can just mail back out the boxes they were shipped in.
    But, he will hold blends for his regulars if we ask him.

This happens with other stuff. The zoo sales the pachyderm poop as an excellent garden fertilizer. But, when my local Co-Op gets it in, the first person to call gets it all. Month after month. So, in many ways, Penzance is a lot like hippo poop.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, et al:

There are people who think cellaring is crazy.
    There are people who think NOT cellaring is crazy.

Who is right, and who is wrong? Well, that comes down to the individual concerned. There is NO universally correct approach.

The gist of the post is contained in the quote. All that follows is simply verbiage with a lot of "justifying."

As Foghorn Leghorn might observe, "Lotta a justifyin' goin on out there. Lotta justifyin. Ya heah!"

My observation is, there are really three camps as opposed to only two. The third being a large group of members (a majority?) who give the "to cellar/not to cellar" debate no consideration at all.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Has there ever been anyone who has done that Jay? I can't recall anyone ever boasting of doing that on here."

Michael, on more than one occasion I have seen a post where someone has flagged up X supplier having (say) thirty tins of Y blend left only for the next post (say) an hour later to say "they have none left now" often followed with a smiley emoticon. That you have never seen such a post astonishes me!

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mistersea

Login to Send PM

I smoke pipes, I buy tobacco, I cellar tobacco. Why? Well when you start paying my bills then I'll answer you, just kidding. There is no deep underlying psychological reason for my actions, just simple enjoyment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have at least 4 million pipe smokers in the US alone, thousands of actual registered forum users, and about a million watchers, just in the US, and we have an international worldwide following. If someone posts anything about a favorite blend, they generally sell out quickly, and not necessarily from just one person. This is why I would discourage anyone from posting what their favorite blend is. Have you ever heard Brian Levine tell what his favorite blend is on the radioshow? Nope, because he knows there would be a mad rush to buy it up. And, I would also discourage anyone from posting a link to a pipe that they want to buy, or may buy, or is saving up to buy. Out of the thousands of millions of eyes on each post, someone might buy it up immediately, just to watch everyone squirm. It has happened many, many times since I have been here. Even the other day, a $1500 Savinelli, ha ha, sold while we were in the midst of discussing how ridiculous it was.

If anything, it makes way more sense to bash your favorites, like that dead grandma, soapy tasting lakeland dripping FVF.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

I was reading this thread and sadly wondering at the psychology of someone who could stash away 100 kilos of tobacco ... and then I remembered the more than 30 bottles of single malt I have stored in my dining room ...

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting discussion. Yes, I am fortunate to have a nice cellar, but I also think if your a pouch or two on the shelves kind of human then that's good too. I know one thing I don't do. I don't examine mentally why someone has a deep or shallow cellar. But I also don't examine mentally why one person has 3 pipes and another has 300.

Jay, I still don't understand why people buying tobacco in large quantities bothers you. When there was an "arms" race between a few Forum members in respect to certain blends I just thought it was entertaining. I didn't thing they were greedy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot imagine a company ever limiting how much someone can buy online.

Really? I'm certain I've seen blends with a limit of two or five per purchase in the past! Maybe Balkan Sobranie at P&C?

That you have never seen such a post astonishes me!

I've seen those posts. But keep in mind that there are (hundreds?) of people here, many with very specific likes who purposely get on here for an early heads up. What is 30 tins if ten people each buy three? And only 6 people if they buy 5.

You don't know who is buying what or why, nor what the person with the emoticon meant. They might just be laughing because all the stuff is gone so quick. Maybe they didn't even buy any themselves!

I've seen people actually LOOKING for stuff and get it bought right out from under their nose. It is a big world.

There isn't enough stuff to go around, but people differ in how they deal with it. Me, I look elsewhere for stuff I can get if something is OOS, but some people really want certain specific things either chronically or due to the latest fad (such as Esoterica or Rattay's Exotic Orange) and when a few parcels come up for sale they will jump on it fast as the only way they can get it. That's why many companies offer email notification.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have a cellar but I do actively buy the entire allotment of Stonehaven and Penzance for several local suppliers (well, all in my State, actually). I don't smoke these. I turn and resell them at 500-600% markup online. This is the American way and I consider this my duty as a Patriot.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

framitz

Login to Send PM

Being 78 life is limited the question is buy more just replace or only try new.
    However I remember when dunhill disappeared for years when I had no reserve
    Macbaren stopped producing certain blends like London burley. I want what I want the excess tobacco can be sold or gifted after my
    I worked hard so I can do what I want and am able to do in my retirement. Shel

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bigpond, not sure if troll...

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No Crash, lots of guys intentionally do what Bigpond is doing. They used to be more vocal about it on here. He may be joking, but there are lots of guys who make big bucks turning the Esoterica trick. Easy money.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I know people do it. I'm surprised that they would be vocal about it. To each their own, I suppose.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm Irish. I only cellar because it pisses off the Brits, and that brings me great joy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All you guys that cellar should really be more fair about it.

C'mon. Cellar or no cellar, the availability of blends is what it is? I have email notifications set-up all over the internet for my favorite blends that have limited distribution. This is an option available to anyone with a computer, that is hooked up to the internet, and has an email. That should include every forum member here, with exception to those who don't have an email. I frequent the forum for a number of reasons and one of them is that I may see a 'head's up' about a blend's availability here and there. That's the way I finally got a couple bags of Stonehaven last year. I just happened to be on here one day when another forum member posted that it was in stock at an online retailer. I was lucky enough to grab a couple bags and I guarantee you that the member who posted that 'head's up' bought what he wanted before he posted it on here.

I cellar and cellar as deep as my funds allow. I do this because I am a straight Virginia smoker, and aged Virginia is one of my favorite things in the world. It's up there with prime rib, sex, football, and greasy Mexican food. The concept of fairness does not factor into my buying habits. How could it? Again, like Cosmic already stated, 'There are millions of pipe smokers". It's a dog eat dog world whether we like it or not, and not even pipe smokers can change this because there are millions of us all sharing the same shipment of 200 tins or whatever. I buy as I can based on personal funds and availability, and if this leaves someone else high and dry I'm sorry. The reason you're not getting yours is because you're not trying hard enough, not because of me or anyone else. The market is what it is and either you get on board or you don't, but please stop whining about it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, the world's inaccessibility to Mixture 79 has Peck to blame.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mixture 79 has Peck to blame.

Love the stuff. Next to Mixture 69, it is my go to blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And we all know that the cellaring paranoia is because of Russian meddling. Let's be clear on that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm Irish. I only cellar because it pisses off the Brits, and that brings me great joy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And we all know that the cellaring paranoia is because of Russian meddling.

there are lots of guys who make big bucks turning the Esoterica trick

I'm a terrible consumer, Michael. And cheap. If I wanted the stuff that bad, before I laid out the big bucks for it I would simply find a source where I too could get it at the original price. I wouldn't flip it for profit, but I'd buy enough to meet my needs. Probably figure out what the flavor or process was and make my own clone.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. loneredtree

loneredtree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did not mean to cellar. It just happened. It is all this forum's fault. You see, when I joined up I had 8 pipes collected over 50 years and a couple of tins of tobacco in stock as I found EMP was not available so purchased 3 tins from Vancouver BC.
    That's all! I don't smoke much but so many interesting blends are discussed here that I picked up one to try and then another new one etc. Now I have more than I will ever smoke. ( I will be 75 soon) Some in bins in our crawl space under the house and some in a cabinet in the office. And, 40+ pipes. Its nuts. I still look at pipes and read about the "new " blends but I stop and think NO! you do not need any more. I don't I don't I don't I don't I don't............

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

A good read with the OP. I fall in between. I have a small cellar that gets built up for when my contract jobs are going well, and I stock up, there's also a few blends that I find I like better after a year or so mellowing out. Then, when times are lean, I have a stockpile of my favorites to lean on. Sadly, the state of my cellar is starting to look quite bare as I have gone through the longest stretch of slow times in a long time, but I still have some fine tobacco to smoke which always brings a smile to my face and warmth to my soul. When next I come into some money I'll rebuild my stash.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If someone posts anything about a favorite blend, they generally sell out quickly, and not necessarily from just one person. This is why I would discourage anyone from posting what their favorite blend is. Have you ever heard Brian Levine tell what his favorite blend is on the radioshow? Nope, because he knows there would be a mad rush to buy it up.

Exactly. This is why I extol the virtues of Dan Tobacco's Holly's Non Plus Ultra.

The Charles Foster Kane theory of cellaring aside, which Orson Wells admitted was "dime book psychology", there's one phrase I like that the OP wrote:

Awareness and free choice underpin whether our decisions are rational or not.

though awareness and free choice clearly aren't a bulwark against irrationality. I'm more in the Samuel Clemens camp that people are largely crazy monkeys, including me. After all, if we were perfectly rational, none of us would smoke.

Having been a pipe smoker for about 45 years, I have more of an expectation that I will continue to do so, than not, though I can't predict the future, or when my ticket will get punched.

But the reasons that I cellar are simple and I stated them in another thread here just a few days ago. For me, smoking a pipe is all about flavors. I like that I can enjoy the flavor of a particular blend when I want it, because I've stocked it. I like that I'm largely immune to supply and demand, tax increases, price increases, changes to blends that make them less enjoyable, production bans, potential internet sales bans, or crazed hoarding. I like to have blends to share with others. I like the flavors of many blends that have aged for at least 4 years and I'm not going to get to enjoy that if I don't put them away to age.

In other words, I cellar tobacco for the same reasons that I used to cellar wines.

I cellar what I like to smoke, with the exception of Penznace, which I dislike, and the reasons that I cellar that particular blend is so that I can share it with friends who can't ever find it, or for trading.

If none of this matters to you, then don't cellar. There will still be a lot of good choices, even after the ax falls in August of 2018.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Careful! It may be a cunning plan on the part of the Brits to get you to buy more and more!!

Good to see the hombre posting again.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  44. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I have seen many blends that I have enjoyed over the past three decades go extinct, and prices are ever on the rise, so cellaring is far from crazy. And as for clearing the shelves, it's less about consideration for others, and more about having it there when you want it. Buying it up keeps it in demand, and keeps it in production.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are crazies in both camps, and not because of tobacco hoards or lack thereof!

Both are rational choices, and I am closer to the non-cellaring "model" than the other. I have a couple years supply, and will add Margate whenever available, as well as regular-ish purchases of other favorites, plus the "try something new now" B+M purchases.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. monty55

monty55

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 what sablebrush said.

The OP left out a very important reason for cellaring, at least for me. The aging of the tobacco greatly increases the pleasure of the flavors, for me. Much like cellaring wine.

Do I cellar because I'm anxious about the future price or availability of pipe tobacco? No

I cellar because I treasure the flavors from a 5+ yr old tin, and at the time I have the funds to do it. Five yrs from now I might not have the funds. And if I wanted a 5 yr old tin of my favorite I'd have to pay quite a premium, assuming I could find what I wanted.

Case in point yesterday I ordered 15 tins of one of my new favorites. Not because I'm worried it won't be there or that it might increase in price, although that's a consideration. The main reason was because I bought a 7 yr old tin of the same from Pipestud a few yrs back, and it's the finest thing I've ever smoked. I bought a new tin, and while it was good, it was nothing like the aged tin.

It's much simpler and less expensive to buy it myself now, and enjoy it down the road.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe you made a mistake in titling this thread. Likely just a typo or small oversight. I believe what you intended to say was "The Psychopathology Of Tobacco Hoarders". Not a huge deal, but I felt it needed addressing

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  48. bigbee

bigbee

Login to Send PM

+1 on cellaring for flavor evolution.
    People's ingenuity goes a long way, should the tobaccoalypse happen or is happening at this moment, we'll find a way to get a pipefull of tobacco . Grow your own, black market, ... buying second hand cellars of those who quit smoking...
    I still have to find a country where forbidden substances like tobacco or alcohol are in fact really unavailable.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To the O.P....1) I enjoy smoking my pipes. 2) There is now and has been for several years now, a trend of tobacco prices rising and of tobacco blends disappearing and this trend is very likely to continue towards an unpleasant endpoint of zero online sales of tobacco products and a greatly reduced local availability of very expensive and limited stock. 3) I would like to keep on enjoying my pipes. 4) Therefore I cellar tobacco.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  50. simong

simong

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco cellaring: common sense & makes perfect sense to me.

Tobacco hoarders: to quote the late, great terry thomas, 'an absolute shower'!

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

there are lots of guys who make big bucks turning the Esoterica trick. Easy money.

You are right Cosmic.
    That was one of my motivations for giving out samples of Stonehaven a while back. I enjoy the tobacco, but do not like the "Unicorn" aspect of it. Everyone has their own sense of right and wrong, but the $150 for 8 oz of Stonehaven has always seemed like an asshole move to me.

"Once you go down the Lakeland path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
    -Apologies to Master Yoda
    Posted 2 years ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

cally454

Login to Send PM

It's economics to me too. I just smiled at my mac barren hh stash when ol per put the hammer down

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Jay, I still don't understand why people buying tobacco in large quantities bothers you."

Ash you have totally missed my point which was by all means buy tobacco in quantity but do leave some behind for your fellow smoker to buy.

How difficult can that be to understand?

"It's a dog eat dog world whether we like it or not"

Mothernature, that is a very sad indictment to hear.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree and dis-agree with you, Jay. While I personally don't cellar a large amount, I can certainly understand the idea of stocking up on one's favorite blend(s). I've stocked up on a couple, within my financial comfort zone, of a couple of my favorites, but I don't buy more than a few tins at a time. I understand that those with the means or desire to go a little deeper may be right and those of us who just buy a couple may be shorting ourselves. I will not, and cannot, go crazy with the cellaring/collecting, but to each his own.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Ash you have totally missed my point which was by all means buy tobacco in quantity but do leave some behind for your fellow smoker to buy.

How difficult can that be to understand?

I happen to agree with this sentiment and don't ever wipe out the unobtanium stock. But you have to remember that you're reasoning with people with severe anxiety disorders.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. mackeson

mackeson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a dog eat dog world whether we like it or not

I completely agree, but think it's a sad reality rather than a philosophy to be embraced. At least that's what I teach my two young boys while trying to get them to be kind, caring, compassionate men.

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I until this last year I cellared Virginias and VaPers exclusively. Mostly because I love then, I had the money, and I have never been disappointed in a 5-10 year old Va. I have never cellared and tobacco I didn't really enjoy. I don't have 10 tins of Chelsea Morning for any reason other than I really like it.

This last year I have added a few Lat blends... maybe 30 -40 tins that might soon be gone.

The one thing I know for sure is that tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today. If you have a few bucks, why not buy a few more tins?

Posted 2 years ago #
  58. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting thread.

I have a sizeable amount of tobacco. Other than this and outside of books, I'm not much of a "hoarder". I also don't buy too much in to the aging of tobacco as I like what I like as it comes, as well as aged, and I can't say I noticed a huge amount of difference between the two. Though perhaps that's just because I don't have a strong palate.

I think it ended up like this for three reasons:

#1, my local tobacconist has a limited number of blends. Don't get me wrong - they're one of the best in the country. But no physical shop has everything.

#2 - it costs a LOT more. I love going there, I still spend my money there, but it's rare that I'll buy a number of cans of something from them at one go, and I like to switch things up from bowl to bowl and day to day - variety is the spice of life.

#3 - well, if I'm buying online, I don't want to pay shipping for just one or two cans. Poor logic, but, there you go. This is certainly a psychological reason.

So, it just kind of accumulated. In the grand scheme of things, I remember pounds of Sam Gawith blends being under $30, and now they're around $60, so, I guess it's working out. But I won't say that it doesn't feel odd and that I wouldn't prefer Jensen's method he describes above.

Posted 2 years ago #
  59. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's all Harris' fault. Aka Cigrmaster

Posted 2 years ago #
  60. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mothernature, that is a very sad indictment to hear.

I'm sorry it makes you sad, but dire times call for dire action. I can't be alone in my sentiment, but may be alone in my willingness to state it. We live in a day and age where there has been a war on tobacco waged and tobacco isn't winning. It will never be cheaper nor more available than now. I'm only responding to the current landscape. I wish it were different, but it's not.

But you have to remember that you're reasoning with people with severe anxiety disorders.

This is the truth. I'm 40 years old and want to smoke the blends I like now for the rest of my life. It's not a matter of if, but when (in some cases it's already begun) will access to tobacco become more restricted, blends cease to exist, and prices significantly increase. Also, I work in non-profit and I'm here to tell you that there is absolutely no security in this field. I must buy tobacco now because I may not be able to tomorrow.

I happen to agree with this sentiment and don't ever wipe out the unobtanium stock.

I do too, and I don't have the funds to wipe out stock even if I wanted to. I buy the limits placed on hard to find blends like Stonehaven and Penzance when they come around which is usually 1 or 2 bags or tins. That's if I'm lucky enough to get in on them before they're gone. There are sometimes limits of 10 tins a day on blends like Aylesbury Luxury Flake, and I can't afford 10 tins at $13 a tin. I usually buy 5 tins every month or two if they're in stock. In fact, I can't ever recall ordering more than 10 tins of any blend at a given time. I know there are people that will order hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars worth of tobacco at a time, but that's not me. I buy what I can when I can.

Posted 2 years ago #
  61. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I buy what I can when I can, but it's not with the intent of wiping out stocks. I barely purchased anything since August of 2016 and I found out this February 2017 how to figure out how much was left.

If my buying a blend I want, when I want it or can find it, makes me a dick...... then wear a cup, because life is tough.

Have a great life wallowing in misery about not getting your "fair share".

Posted 2 years ago #
  62. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to think that if it's all gone before I get some, my life will still be pretty damn good.

And I am right..

This is really a 1st world problem.

Posted 2 years ago #
  63. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ This

Posted 2 years ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Davet made much sense early on. If your house gets burgled, and you then install an expensive alarm system, does that make you a cringing paranoiac, or a rational person who learned from a shitty experience?

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  65. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just wish that folks would have a thought for their fellow smoker before clearing the shelves of suppliers in one fell swoop.

I don't clear the shelves buying, I don't have that kind of money in my tobacco budget, but where do you draw the line? If there are only two tins left do you only buy one? Three, four? If you're grocery shopping and beans are one sale does this apply? If I miss out on something I just resolve to try again next time. All of these unicorns that people fawn over, even if they haven't tried them, always seem to leave me unimpressed when compared to the hype. Some of my favorite and regular blends are available in bulk, affordable, almost always in stock.
    If something is out of stock try something else, you may find a new to you "unicorn".

Posted 2 years ago #
  66. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco cellaring: common sense & makes perfect sense to me.
    In my situation, it is a plus. I only have a few years (maybe) to continue to work. Health issues are catching up to me. What I stock now is what I will smoke for the rest of my life so I want to make sure I have an adequate supply to meet those needs...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  67. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, but you people and your cellars just make me sad and I'll continue to see you as impaired in some way. I'm not judging, but obviously you require professional help of some kind. At least most of the voices in my head believe that's so. While you bask in the aura of your disorder, I'll be smoking, observing, and taking notes.

photo 6CBB9877-9E9D-4B5C-BBB1-A407B2510644_zpsgt62mx44.jpg

Posted 2 years ago #
  68. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

This topic remains fascinating, even (maybe even especially) all the diversions.

One of the issues that causes so much debate, I think, is that we are really looking at five different phenomena under the same label or topic. There might be more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Cellaring, in the classical sense of a root cellar or a wine cellar. People acquire (or grow) a product that they plan to consume later. This could be apples, onions, Burgundy, tobacco, or numerous other commodities. Some thought is given to the storage conditions to preserve (and in some cases) improve the product so that it will be ready when there is a desire to consume it. And some products are bred or designed with this cellaring in mind (i.e. apples that taste meh when picked but are delicious after six months in the root cellar).

2. Collecting. This is the straightforward gathering or accumulating of related items, usually with the idea to view them as a whole (and often, but not always, to show or shame them with other people). I have thirty-odd pipes by Ingo Garbe, each in a slightly different shape. Some people have at least one tin of Christmas Cheer going back to the first vintage. Others collect verticals of Bordeaux.

3. Hoarding. To amass things for security or preservation, often to assuage some form of anxiety. To some degree, I think this is what the OP was referring to, although I disagree that cellaring in the classical sense springs from the same anxiety.

4. Speculation. I mean this is the commercial rather than intellectual/philosophical sense. Laying out money in a commercial venture of considerable risk in order to reap outsized gains. Buying a bag of Penzance for $40 and selling it for $150 or whatever. Some may view this as arbitrage, but I think it is more properly speculation, as the risks are considerable (even if not that likely). For instance, how many people doing so are doing it in accordance with whatever laws or regulations apply to dealers in tobacco products?

5. Hedging. Limiting exposure to expected or contemplated losses. This could be hedging against certain products becoming unavailable in the future (whether because of FDA deeming regulations or blenders retiring or whatever) or hedging against expected increases in taxes or inflation.

As a fair number of posts have pointed out, many of us acquire tobacco for reasons other than #3. But I still think the OP brings up an interesting point, which is that many of us (especially those naturally predisposed to addictions or compulsions) may flirt with hoarding more than we care to admit. And some of us may even be having a full blown affair....

Posted 2 years ago #
  69. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"We live in a day and age where there has been a war on tobacco waged and tobacco isn't winning."

And that 'war' has in itself turned smoker against smoker which I think is very sad and depicts human nature at its worst.

No creature on the planet displays selfishness and greed like the human being manages to do.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  70. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Jay, while I think the indictment of humans as a whole is entirely valid, I just don't see as many acts of unfettered selfishness as you do with respect to people buying pipe tobacco. Sure, someone at sometime has cleared out the last 100 tins of some tobacco from an internet shop, but I hardly think it's a regular occurrence. The few times I've seen it, the amount of tobacco available was so low that I would blame that and not the purchaser, although I'm sure more egregious cases exist.

Look at blends with Syrian latakia. Three Oaks Syrian is still in stock at P&C. HH Vintage Syrian, Artisan's Blend, Arcade, Wilderness, etc., are all in stock at Smoking Pipes. Someone looking to hoard or speculate could have easily cleared the shelves on those, as we'll never see any more Syrian latakia blend, but that hasn't happened....

Posted 2 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, jiminks, tuold, paulfg, catyrpelius, sasquatch, cshubhra, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman