PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I'll throw this thread into the wind and see where it goes.
The Proposition (2005) is a western genre movie, set in the Australian outback. There's so many garbage films out there, that I felt the need to mention this one because I really got into it.
Ray Winstone and Guy Pearce have never given anything but a star performance in my eyes (The Count of Monte Christo (2002) and The Tracker (2010) among many others).
I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan too, but it's hard not to give a tip of the hat to the more modern renditions we see, like True Grit (2010) and Broken Trail (2006)
So do share the movies that make you wonder if you were meant for simpler times. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't want simpler times. I'd probably be dead.
I had acute appendicitis when I was 8. They performed surgery, and got it out before it burst - it was getting close. If it had, I probably would have gotten peritonitis. In "simpler times" that probably would have killed me.
If I had survived that, I got an infected prostate when I was older. It got swollen, and I couldn't urinate. I had to be catheterized. While that was not a whole lot of fun, it was hella better then what would have probably happened in "simpler" times.
Screw "simpler" times - especially romanticized movie stuff. I'll take now, with all its complexity.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
@cortezattic - ever seen mystery science theater 3000? myself, my favorite old sci-fi is "the day the earth stood still"
@Jud - fair enough, I wouldn't be getting into any time machines myself, either. But you do like movies, right? That was more my point.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
science theater 3000 that was some funny stuff. As to the question with my views and how I live everyone that knows me well says I was born 100 yrs too late.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I am looking forward to "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" myself, lol. I enjoy movies and books with the historical combined with the absurd. I actually liked "Cowboys and Aliens".

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I think that Surf Ninjas was an awesome movie! Tons of humor, great fights without bloodshed, love story that did not cross any important lines, practically no bad language, etc. The only problem was that I had to pay for karate lessons afterwards for my daughter.
Winton

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
@rigmedic1, I can't wait. I busted a gut when I watched the trailer the first time. I was thinking it was another Buffy movie until: they put up Abe the vampire hunter. They exploding tree with 1 chop of the ax, O man, it is going to be a hoot.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Cast Away with Tom Hanks. I think that's simplified taken to the extreme, but I delight in the idea of being alone on a deserted island filled with coconuts, fish, plenty of swimming area, and free beach side real estate.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
i agree with you on the new True Grit, zanthal. im a John Wayne fan but the new version is a lot better IMHO. also, Ray Winestone is a really underrated actor. check him out in The Departed or Edge of Darkness, two great films.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i'm not a big movie fan, but for me my Best Movie and funniest movie are one and the same:
Operation Petticoat--i cannot pass it up, and i must have seen it wholly or in parts 100 times--

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Has to be a woman in the mix Cajunguy. Alone on a desert island is good, alone with a woman is better, with 3 women, terrific
Until they start blaming you because they can't go shopping. :rofl:
Edge of Darkness I don't think I've seen, thanks bubblehead
Operation Petticoat, alright, I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.