PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I really like my new prince and have been smoking it quite frequently. I will probably obtain a few more.
I tried to find a few pictures of the original prince who gave the pipe its name, smoking a prince. I found a few. He smoked other shapes as well.
the-prince-7-600x468.jpg

the-prince-9.jpg

the-prince-5-388x600.jpg

the-prince-3.jpg

the-prince-6.jpg

the-prince-10.jpg

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The prince is probably the most classy pipe shape IMHO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That old Nazi. Too bad his political sense was so off. He was a dapper little Brit, kind of chipper and plucky seeming, and stuck with his girlfriend (who was kind of manipulative and awful as near as I can tell). Oh well, the family kept him out of UK and out of trouble mostly. Love the pipe shape however, light weight, elegant, and a nice broad bowl for (yes) English blends.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
...and here's "His Royal Highness's" pipe
Nomenclature: "His Royal Highness" over Sasieni Made, Rum Cured, Made in England, 583. Stem is stamped: H-R-H with a crest that has been smeared via buffing. The button has an "orific" bit typical of the period.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Prince is fine and good, but I prefer his previous incarnation as the Duke....now, that's a pipe!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Every time I see a picture of that dude, I can't help but thinking of that witch, Wallis Simpson. While there's no accounting for love or infatuation, she must have been a wizard in bed. Or something I'll never know.
Back to topic: I am very fond of the Prince shape, but its small size means it doesn't get loaded as often.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
but its small size means it doesn't get loaded as often
It is my Gaslight pipe. It is the perfect size for that.
but I prefer his previous incarnation as the Duke
He was the prince first. Then he was the duke later.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
It's a little beat up around the rim and the stem was so oxidized that at first glance it looked as if it were made of briar! I cleaned it up as best I could using only elbow grease and it can use a pro's touch for sure. It's an historic classic that I found in Bob Herbert and Harold Surtezky's treasures at a NY Show a number of years ago. Yes, there are some gems to be found amongst those boxes and bins if you dig deep!
Lou

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's an awesome find, I'd have loved to see your face when you pulled that out of the box. And that's exactly why I always root thru those bins!(JB Hayes in VA also has bins and bins of pipes that I love to peruse).

skaukatt

Can't Leave
You are so right, Al. When I pulled it out of the box I was fortunate enough to have my good friend,and pipe and tobacco encyclopedia in the flesh, Dan Silverstone with me, who immediately recognized the nomenclature as being of Sasieni origin. We wrere fascinated by the orific bit and knew it was an old one. We both thought the stem was made of briar, that's how badly oxidized it was. I cleaned it up with some Bar Keeper's Friend and alot of elbow grease but as I said, it could use a professional touch. Great historic piece, though.
Lou

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I find the prince to be the best-balanced most comfortable shape I own, and the bowl size just right for my preferred short smoke.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Keep posting and only once got answers! Based in Dublin, Ireland. New to pipe smoking. Have smoked a few of my pipes to the point of them being very hot. Have then put them down to cool for fear of destroying my investment. Wondering firstly, if because they've gotten so hot are they ruined or should I just be be more careful in future? Secondly, have smoked tens of bowls in my peterson pipes and only gotten a great flavour (sweet, nutty) a couple of times - does this mean they are just taking time to break in and will eventually season? Not relevant to this forum I know, but if someone could even direct me to somewhere that I'd get some sort of positive advice, that'd be most helpful!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's two reasons why I DON'T have a Sasieni Prince on my rack (Shape 38, aka The Bowler). These two just ended recently, WAY out of my reach. When they do show up, they always seem to be One Dot's or Patent number/Fishtale logo pipes. So, the search continues.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SASIENI-28-One-Dot-used-SMOKING-PIPE-TOBACCO-PIPE-/172225458921?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=D%252BWghq9XG%252ByUlWMyFKxwNwadnUY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SASIENI-73-One-Dot-used-SMOKING-PIPE-TOBACCO-PIPE-/381654249945?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=D%252BWghq9XG%252ByUlWMyFKxwNwadnUY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Status
Not open for further replies.