PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Positive is what hobbies are. Pipes are a hobby to many of us. Smoking is a positive experience. Let's discuss and revel in our hobby. From what I read here, the majority of members are here for one reason... to share their joy in the hobby.
After reading the 'cup o joes' thread again and looking at the 'dying forum' thread, this old grouch has some advice.
Opinion follows:
If all you have to say is something negative, go away. Keep your negativism to yourself or share it on your favorite 'social' media site. Let's keep this place positive and fun.
I always compare the 'news' and negative comments on sites like this to someone sitting under an outhouse and watching people crap. Fooey, we have plenty of sources of negative. Don't make this into one too. Have fun! If the hobby isn't fun for you, find another. Wallowing in negative has it's place for some people, but that place isn't this one.
If you have nothing positive to say, be QUIET!

Be nice, OR DIE!!!
Ha ha, good point. Yeh, but sometimes we get folks from the old folks farm, posting from their rocker on the porch, their kids haven't come to see them in years, and they've just had their third prostate exam that week; so they come here and rant about whatever crosses their mind.

But, yeh, luckily, most of us enjoy talking pipes, even if we do tend to get stuck in a "My opinion is more important than your opinion" thing every now and then.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I certainly applaud the IDEA of keeping this place a repository of positivity, however, it isn't practical. One of the good things about this site is the reason why the whole "Utopia" thing won't work. Bonding. Yes, we all come together because of a common interest in pipes, but, life has a way of throwing tragedy in as well. Many of us are happy to talk pipes and tobacco all day long, but when bad luck or strife comes our way, we need a sounding board. We need someone to share things with, if only to get it off our chest. This forum has served as a support group for those of us in the grip of life's downside, the dark moments which living foists upon our hearts and backs. Death, disease, hurricanes, addiction, crime... all of these have been topics on this forum and most of us are supportive of the persons involved to the extant we can, being an online group. Sometimes we forge deeper relationships.
It is how this forum comes together in the face of adversity and tragedy that makes it a special place. While I enjoy the good times and the laughs, they are only fleeing moments in a string of sometimes painful events we all share. I don't have to bring up all the bad things we have dealt with as a community because if you have been here any amount of time, you can easily think of some. I like the idea of a safe haven for happy thoughts, but life gives us lemons sometimes and this forum has helped me, for one, to make lemonade when I forgot the recipe. The folks here are real. The folks here keep me grounded. It ain't always fun and games, but I keep coming back. Thanks. :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to keep posts upbeat. No one wants a perpetual downer. Still, sometime negative situations and questions arise, and I don't think it is wrong to raise them if it's done in a constructive way, and most of all, if that isn't everything a member ever has to say. Some members have a steady dark undertone but also manage to be funny and sometimes upbeat. That's just who they are, and I can accept that, and often enjoy it when it is balanced. But positivity, yes, it's life-giving.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I've been meaning to catch up with you on a few things, Cosmic. How's your piss? Not still the color of Coca-Cola, I hope. They ever get that gigantic gasoline spill/explosion in your back yard cleaned up? No further incapacitating bike wrecks, I hope. Well, you take care down there; everything's looking good here on the old-folks' farm, at least as far as I can see from the ol' rocking chair. :rofl:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Brad, Liver & Onions is good for you, and it is delicious. Just ignore the part about the liver being a filter.
Michael, I didn't mean to say we shouldn't discuss our lives and issues, that is what the 'forum' is for, IMO. What I meant is that bitching about whether a vendor has something in stock or not, is useless. We can't fix those problems, so why bring it up at all?
Anyway, just an old grouch trying to be positive.

It's OK, everyone needs a grouchy dog

2AE6507F00000578-3177113-The_five_month_old_dog_has_a_permanent_scowl_etched_on_his_face_-a-1_1438079917877.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Yep, and I'll try and be positive about the gent who ranted first in my thread when I spoke about feeling sick when reading about another mass shooting. :wink:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Liver and onions are delicious if they're cooked right, but that seems to be easier said than done for a lot of cooks. A shame, too, because people don't know what they're missing. Another delicious way to prepare liver is to salt and pepper it, cut it into chunks, wrap with a half-strip of raw bacon, skewer, and grill over mesquite. When the bacon is done, the liver is done. It's amazing.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well said, Mayfair70!
Michael, I didn't mean to say we shouldn't discuss our lives and issues, that is what the 'forum' is for, IMO. What I meant is that bitching about whether a vendor has something in stock or not, is useless. We can't fix those problems, so why bring it up at all?

I honestly did not take that post that way at all. I feel like people turned that into something it wasn’t. All I saw was someone concerned about his favorite online vendor and posted it here in hopes that someone had further information on the subject. He stated that he did try to contact them but kept getting the same generic response... at least that’s what I gathered from his posts. This is the place to ask such questions and I specifically remember similar threads inquiring about P&C when their stock was low but in that instance, Russ O explained what was going on and gave some insider information.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I used to make mine in a cast iron skillet. Slice up the onions and slowly simmer in water with some butter until soft then remove from the liquid. Season the liver with some pepper and salt. Coat lightly with flower, then add to the simmering liquid. The liver comes out tender with a delicate flavor. Serve with the onions. Good stuff!
My mother's liver could be used for patching roofs.

Status
Not open for further replies.