PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Quite a few folks enjoy a nice cordial with their smoky repast, and in that way, I am not so different.
Yet, my history with tobacco goes back a long way, from Swisher Sweets to Davidoff, and Backwoods pipe tobacco to Peterson's; much of it before the age of twenty-one. Back in these days, while puffing away on my favorite Davidoff no.2 at B&M, I began to lament my inability to imbibe the dulcet tones of a brandy with my fellow smokers and was instead forced to turn to the only option available in the member's fridge...a can of crisp, cool Diet Coke.
I looked at this much maligned can in my hand, wondering, what much else do young adult males despise more than a DIET soda. Still, I was left with little choice than to banish the growing lump of tobacco-laced spittle from my mouth in a garish display of flying sputum, or suffer the indignity of consuming a can that was, in my adolescent mind, typically the domain of dieting teenage girl. But, alas...I was in a fine establishment, and unless I want to quickly find myself hoisted to the street for deeming to sully the tobacco shop's floor with the flux of my rapidly filling mouth, it seemed Diet Coke was in the offing.
So, with disinclined hand, I reached for the can...
What I initially believed to be a boondoggle, quickly resolved itself into one of the true eureka moments of my life - the Diet Coke was....fantastic!
It turned out the Coke was the perfect palate cleanser for my taste buds. The crisp and clean carmel liquid washed away the sour tastes of tobacco on my tongue, leaving little in the way of a reminder in its wake. After each ministering mouthful, It gave me the chance to taste the brillant tobacco of my cigar as if I were taking its first puff time upon time again. During that smoke, I tasted the tobacco as I never had before. I...was...hooked.
Since that fateful day, I can often be found consuming my high-quality tobacco products with a Diet Coke. It seems to work as a palate cleanser in a fine multi-course dinner, wiping away the flavors of the last course so that the next may be enjoyed on its own merits - or in the case of tobacco, allowing one to enjoy the changing flavors and notes of the smoke as it matures, free of leavings from earlier stages.
So, how about you...ever think of a Coke with a smoke?

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I find that I only drink carbonated drinks while smoking if it is the only thing available. I do enjoy a good cup of coffee, ice water, iced tea, and lately lemonade seems to taste really good with a smoke.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Most people will say don't have a carbonated beverage with your pipe. Personally I think it's a good gauge for beginners. If you can sip on a Coke or Pepsi while smoking and it doesn't set your tongue on fire then you've accomplished the right pace. If your tongue starts burning like the surface of the sun then you need to slow down the puffing.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I like water, coffee or ice tea with my smoke. Occasionally a beer/cider. Rothnh you are correct about spirits interfering with the mouth when smoking as well, I would not drink them while smoking.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
To each his own, and it is entirely your choice what you ingest. But we all deserve to at least be making informed choices...so, IMO, you might want to do some research before using products with aspartame.
Aspartame is, by Far, the Most Dangerous Substance on the Market that is Added To Foods
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I enjoy diet coke for normal consumption but when it comes to a rum & coke prefer regular coke. I tried this combo with my pipe not long ago and did not think it didn't scorch the tongue per say but tasted off. So now I'll stick with water.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I will occasionally enjoy a Diet Coke while smoking a cigar in the afternoon. It's coffee in the morning and some type of alcohol in the evening. I more often have a Diet Coke with a cigar rather than a pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
My stock and trade is coffee & tea... and I'm a flavour junky by nature. So it probably won't surprise anyone to learn that I mix my drinks up, and that I select my beverage accompaniment based on the tobacco I'm smoking and time of day.
Drip/Filter/Press Coffee - I drink my coffee black, and play with different roasts based on mood. A lighter roast in the morning, with a lighter tobacco like SG Best Brown Flake, is a great start for me. A darker roast with heavier body and big roasty notes with Black Shag or a heavy aromatic in the afternoon/evening.
Espresso - To be honest, espressos don't last long enough for me to enjoy them while I'm smoking a bowl...
Teas - Too many types of tea to list, but I love a light and aromatic Oolong, white tea, or Japanese green tea (gyokuru) would generally be my choice with light to medium intensity tobaccos. A gunpowder tea, or lapsang souchong with some of the vapers or more latakia forward blends.
Beer - Let's be fair... I'll drink a beer with anything. I'll just change the variety and flavour to match my mood.
Spirits - I love me my single malts. I typically play in Islay or Speyside malts, and enjoy two fingers with about the same volume of hot water. Water really opens the aromatics of a whiskey, and provides me with a longer drinking experience to match my smoke.
Sodas - Mmmmm Coke. I haven't developed a taste for diet anything yet, and also don't love the idea of aspartame... but hell, I smoke right? I'm not sure aspartame is my biggest worry.
$0.02 in the bucket.
-- Pat

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I used to enjoy a good semi flat root beer with my cigars. I bet it would work with a nice English too.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I never really paid to much attention to what I'm drinking if I'm having a smoke or if I'm having a drink at all. I prefer my small batch bourbon if I'm really making a go of it and even indulged in some shine every now and then, but normally it's whatever I normally drink so probably a Dr. Pepper or a Yoohoo. I'll have to pay more attention; I imagine a Yoohoo with some aros might be pretty good.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
@teufelhund
I prefer my small batch bourbon if I'm really making a go of it
Have you tried Labrot & Graham Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select? I'm not usually a one for bourbon, but I'm a big fan of it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My friend works in an aeroplane manufacturing center and told me they use it to clean engine parts. Just think what that does to your teeth.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Me too tombraider...me too.
Or how long diet coke takes to dissolve a pipe.
Or dropping cubes of tobacco in the soda and witnessing a magnificent fountain of soda.
None of these things happend.
None.
Diet coke is ok.
Better than that pepsi crap. *wait for eruption of applause*

Status
Not open for further replies.