PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
So, I've found myself drawn more and more by the shape of cherrywood poker-cut pipes. I don't know why, but it's been on my mind more and more frequently. "You need a cherrywood poker. It's the perfect shape. It's the perfect shaaaaape." I haven't got the money to purchase a decent one, however, I do have some well seasoned branches of cherry wood, and a decent dremel. Would anyone here recommend trying to carve one out? And if so, have you any advice on doing so?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Can't offer advice, but I say go for it. The "cherrywood" shape, which is a kind of poker, I suppose, was originally made from cherry, so you're really making a very traditional pipe.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum, k1j3l. Here's a short blurb on cherry wood poker style pipes. While they are traditionally made from briar there's no reason why you can't try to make one from cherry. At the very least it's a fun project.
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/tobacco-pipe-cherrywood-shape/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
k1, I think you're right that the cherrywood shape is a poker shape with a slant cut bowl bottom and often

a bent stem. Parker makes a thrifty briar model that's a good smoker with a medium size bowl, though the

pipe is compact. I definitely think you should try one by hand, if you have the time and skill. Maybe buy

a pre-cut stem that will suit your design and give you a stem to work into your plan. Isn't cherrywood

somewhat softer than briar and therefore easier to work?

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
It is, mso, which is why I was hoping to use it, Plus, while not AS burn resistant as briar, it'd still be good for small, slow sips. I'll certainly take a look at the Parker you've described, and check out the link papipe shared.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I see an ebay seller named roadkillbob65 who makes cherry pokers out of both cherry wood and apple wood. He calls them "Ropp copies". The bidding starts at $10.00 for most of the pipes. I might try to see if I can get one for under $20.00. I like my estate Ropp pipe, so another like it couldn't hurt.
I'm a little concerned about the his use of polyurethane to coat the outside of the bowl. I don't think Ropp ever did that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tuold, Ropp does sometimes do a glossy finish, but on the Ropp pipe, and some other French pipes like the Jobey,

these are surprisingly well considered so somehow the finish breathes as well as matte, rusticated and blast pipes,

and for some reason does an especially good job on Virginias and some aromatics in terms of delivering flavor, to me.

But I don't know about "Ropp copies;" polyurethane doesn't sound promising, and I don't think that's what Ropp or

Jobey uses.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
k1j3l, I too have recently been drawn to the poker/cherrywood shapes. As described above, the cherrywood is a poker (sitter) with a canted bottom causing the pipe to slightly pitch forward when set down.
Please keep us informed on what you decide and let us know how it smokes. I am days away from receiving mine and can't wait!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
http://www.ljperetti.com/pipes/l-j-peretti.html?limit=all
This shop offers very decent pipe at great price (as low as $35 now), and according to the shape you want. I bought a cherrywood from them when I was visiting Boston 10+ years ago at under $40, and that has been one of my best smokers. Perhaps it is also a good idea to learn from a decent pipe while carving one?

Just my 2¢

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you want guidance online, I'd go here:
http://www.pipemakersforum.com/
I think it's been around for 10 years and I know that it's an open market, everyone sharing most/all? of their secrets and techniques quite openly, in the effort to help one another.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Make sure you've cured it properly before smoking it. Smoking green wood is not going to end well.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
k1j3l, I'm a carver. I have aged cherry wood. But I'm confused. Do you want a cherry wood pipe, carved out of cherry wood, or do you want a cherry wood style pipe?

k1j3l

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Wow, lots of comments lol. Indiana, it's going to be a cherry wood Cherrywood, quite literally.
It's a couple thick branches worth, seasoned for maybe seven or eight months. I've made a few pipes before for friends/family, and while they smoke pretty well, they've always been brutally ugly. I'll certainly check that pipe making site for advice, I'd like to have one less painful to look at. And the idea of actually smoking one before making one I like too, and may have to pick up one of those $35 ones when I have a few dollars.
When I do decide to take the project up, I'll be more than happy to drop a couple photo's here.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
k1j3l, if you decide to try the project and you need help, just PM me. I have cherry wood branches aged for up to 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.