PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We collect for all sorts of reasons, in all sorts of ways. Some collect pipes from only one maker. Others collect one shape interpreted from a variety of makers. Some create a pantheon comprised of a single fine example from a selection of the most celebrated carvers. I collect Barlings, but I also collect whatever appeals to me.
I've shared some of my Barlings. Now I'm going to share some of the pipes I've acquired simply because I like them.
To keep this post from taking too long to load, I've divided it into several parts rather than reduce the quality of the images.
Preben Holm era Ben Wade freehand:
2hyqQMB.jpg

5ZwpE3y.jpg

I love this pipe. I love the marriage of grain to shape, the clever way that the carver sought to bring out every possible play of flame grain and birdseye. I love the way that the grain flows around the faceted surface. The grain flows all around the bowl and along the shank. The top facing facets are covered in birdseye.
Paul Tatum freehand and volcano:
One of my favorite carvers is Paul Tatum. He's no longer carving pipes, which is a shame. Paul is a true American original. His pipes share a unique aesthetic that is creative, sometimes humorous, sometimes a little sinister, or just plain strange. Paul's pipes are expertly engineered, with careful attention to surface, a characteristic that shouldn't be a surprise as he's a structural engineer currently working as a flight controller for NASA.
Noymfd9.jpg

5D4GFwK.jpg

I call this my hot rod pipe. Fins and flames, what more could one ask for? This pipe is stamped Tatum's Workshop Journeyman 66, perfect for a hot rod pipe. I've driven long stretches of Route 66 and this is the perfect pipe for traveling the open road, preferably in a ragtop.
ohDiNPQ.jpg

VeXDgAf.jpg

This is my favorite volcano. It's a volcano that looks like a volcano. Paul did something here with the transition from a carefully wrought blast to a smooth that I've yet to see anywhere else. He's not trying to look like warmed over Danish, that's for sure.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like Jesse and I have similar tastes in pipes. Even have my eye on some estate Barlings, sable.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
The grain-driven free form of this Ben Wade totally enlightened me about how freehand pipes can actually be made.

8O

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Wow, those three pipes are stunning. Thanks for not skimping on the picture quality. The different texture and coloring of the grain on that Preben era BW is outstanding! Fantastic pipes!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Awesome choices Jesse. It's great to see some unusual carvers on these pages. I knew nothing about Paul Tatum but I like his unique style.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice harmony of creativity and good taste, originality and elegance.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding this little presentation. We have some very experienced collectors here and I hope that some will post a selection of their favorite pipes and share about their thoughts on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.