PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
All three names in the title are basically the same pipe that was given different names throughout decades. I'm sure some have heard of it. I've found a lot of information on these things because I got into a conversation about Venturi pipes with someone while I was in a tobacco shop. Inquiring minds want to know more so I researched Venturi Pipes and a lot came up. Apparently they were sold in the Sears Catalog, are made of plastic with a graphite insert in the bowl and only very few of them are made of briar.

Something very interesting I read was that when one of these pipes are taken care of properly and smoked, they offer the true taste of the tobacco. More so than meerschaum. What also struck me as interesting is that one article said that it is not uncommon for blenders to have one of these types of pipes handy for tasting the tobacco they blend. Is there any truth to this?

I was wondering if anyone has experience with The Pipe, The Smoke or Venturi. If so, what do you think of it? Why do you like or dislike it? How do these pipes compare to briar and meerschaum?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've got a "The Pipe" in a hot orange Dublin shape. I rank it with all the other non-wood types of pipes including Brylon and clay except it has the advantage of being lighter.
You probably saw Billie W. Taylor's Webpage on these pipes, The Pipe Info
For me, as a collector, they are of interest but I don't think I've ever smoked mine more than a couple of times. There's something about briar that is more "alive" or natural....or something. Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's just the aesthetics.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks tuold, for your point of view on these things. I did see thepipe.info page and I was amazed to find so much compiled information in one place about a plastic pipe. I can't count how many times I've glazed over these things when I found them in antique shops. I knew they were made around the 60's and 70's, before I read anything about them. I thought they were mainly used to smoke the wacky tobaccee. I didn't take them seriously until I read Bill Taylor's site. I ended up buying one for this man I had a conversation with and am in the process of cleaning it up for him. After handling this old thing, I want one for myself.

There was a Pipesmagazine Radioshow about "The Pipe." I tried to google it, but when I google "The Pipe" I get all of the radioshows, ha ha. It would be worth it to scroll through the lists of shows, IMO.
We have a member of our pipe club that has one, but he doesn't smoke it much at all. I think that briar adds the woodsy, Pipey aroma to the mix, and I like it. Most of us become so accustomed to that briar smell that it becomes like oxygen to us, we no longer sense the oxygen. But others, and even we smell it to some extent. I remember smoking an RYO and someone remarked about how they love the smell of the pipe to me. Since the tobacco was cigarette tobacco, I am left to assume that the "pipe" smell comes from the briar. I don't even enjoy meerschaums as much, because it lacks that aroma. So, "The Pipe" doesn't appeal to me, but I can see how it can be a great novelty for a collection.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks for the links yaddy. Awesome. I'll check that show out tonight.

I've also noticed that it's a love/hate thing with these pipes. To me, a pipe is briar or a cob. Even my meers don't see a lot of mialage either.

This person I've been talking to at the shop loves his plastic pipe and loves the way it smokes. When I see them around, I can scoop them up for next to nothing because of how most pipe smokers feel about them. I'm going to keep buying them and cleaning them up to give to this guy. They make him happy. I like happy people. Happiness through pipes for all!

I'll eventually pick one up for myself too. I'd like to try it out.

Thanks all!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I ran across this goofy "The Smoke" ad in a 1971 issue of Life Magazine. Thought I'd post it here for historical purposes.
6GnoOh5.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
....is it you Tuold in a previous life?
I was momentarily tempted to post a picture of myself from 1971 that would have squashed that theory immediately. I will admit to once owning a turtle neck sweater and aviator sunglasses. The aviator's were clipped on over my glasses. Definitely not as mod as the guy in the ad =)

Status
Not open for further replies.