PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I just got to my mom's place in Seguin and her husband had randomly picked this up for me from an estate sale in San Antonio.
ephemeris1.jpg

ephemeris2.jpg

Haven't cracked it open yet, but it looks interesting so I thought I'd share.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I say, you should use a scanner and some OCR software, and make a digital copy. Consider it it preservation and redistribution of history!

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Agreed! I'd love to take a look at that gem.

Also after looking around it would seem that copies of that are being put up for sale at prices of $500-$750. Just a bit of trivia.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Lucky you! :worship:
I was a member of the late Tom Dunn's TUCOPS (The Universal Coterie of Pipe Smokers) for about the last 10 years of its existence. I certainly looked forward to his TPSE (The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris), an irregular but volumnous publication that came out two to four times a year. It was always chock full of pipe ephemera... pipe and factory history, "Sherlockian" subjects, pipe show reports, pipes in literature, including original prose and poetry and artwork. In short, it was a complete education in re: pipes. I got all the back issues I could find, from various sources, going back to 1973, which was before I ever even picked up a pipe. Your bound copy of the first issues is a treasure!
I mourned Tom Dunn's passing, and his magnificent Ephemeris.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I've only read a little of it, but it sounds like...us.
Meaning it reads a lot like a pipe smokers message board, before such a thing existed.
Been fun so far.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Jimbo is right about this collection of Tom Dunn's TPSE.

I had the opportunity to read a number of issues of this

publication a few years ago. You have a treasure indeed!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I say, you should use a scanner and some OCR software, and make a digital copy. Consider it it preservation and redistribution of history!
Hey guys, I was just informed that the executor of the estate has reminded folks, none to gently, that Tom Dunn actually copyrighted the Ephemeris, and the estate is committed to maintaining the copyright. So I would suggest that you don't scan the book! :)

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I'd read the same thing Jeremiah. So alas, I will not be scanning/copying it. =|

Status
Not open for further replies.