PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Yes, it is hard do believe, as noted in the article that P & W and Dunhill are headed to extinction. Let's hope the E-Cig and cigar industries save our bacon. Saw that one bill has some steam that is only designed to help the cigar industry. So we are headed, rapidly to a time when we have the most blends ever to a world that will have far far less blends, but still enough great blends to continue in decent shape. If Congress will only pass the proper legislation, all of this could be avoided.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Are there any pipe smoking folks in congress, I wonder?
Great piece, made me sad though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still holding out on the assumption that if the big corp can't sustain the Dunhill pipe tobacco blends for some esoteric management reason (too many Masters of Business Administration in the penthouse offices) then someone can make them an offer that would be better than just shutting these blends down. That's cash left on the table, and if someone doesn't buy in, the stash will just be stolen. So I say that Dunhill pipe tobaccos will rise again. Atlanta was burnt down once, and now it's the biggest traffic jam and airport congestion south of JFK.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Fun piece though I agree with little in it. Dunhill blends haven't been my faves, nor were they considered the ne plus ultra at any time during my 45 years smoking pipes and tobacco - anyone heard of Sobranie for example? Nor do they date back to the 19th century. But the facts don't actually matter.
We love myths. And to have a myth shattered by mere bean counters is more than one should have to bear. But bean counters made the decision that Dunhill tobaccos didn't offer enough of a return, so they get the axe. Pipe smoking is currently a fringe activity and bean counters are betting that this state of affairs isn't going to change.
I suppose that's true with Pipeworks and Wilke. Not enough money in it so time to retire and enjoy other pursuits. We'd like to lay it all at the feet of regulators, but I suspect that it's more complicated than that.
All I know is I'm here today and I've got good smokes. Tomorrow doesn't yet exist.

Oct 7, 2016
Dread, George Holding is a Congressman from North Carolina. He was a pipe smoker when I was last in touch with him up until around 2000. Whether he still is I don't know. He was a frequent attender of pipe shows in those days.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Thanks oldgeezer - we should be talking to him. Even if he doesn't anymore he would understand.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Scratchy...Scratchy....I'd say being a Hippie was a fringe activity, until they Turned Off, Tuned out and Grew Up entering Academia, becoming Government Employees , and Congressmen; Applying the horrid ideology to us all. Of course it's got to be something other than the regulations, that just doesn't compute. That doesn't fit the narrative, now does it. I don't know. I guess when the Efficient Appliance is no longer efficient, then we will just juxtapose the same narrative. Just to sit back "Have a nice day" and think back to old Dunhill and PipeWorks &Wilkie.
"My damn Clothes Dryer doesn't dry the damn clothes any longer, damn! Whirlpool has become a fringe subsidiary of Solyndra."

Aug 14, 2012
Sable: Dunhill tobaccos were much better in the 1950s. It was a while before I could decide between Sobranie and 965. Back then I was very poor and had to pick one. It was Balkan Sobranie. The 965 today is only a rough approximation. But in deference to the past I have a lot of it aging. Will try it again when it is 8 years old.

Aug 14, 2012
Sable: Dunhill tobaccos were much better in the 1950s. It was a while before I could decide between Sobranie and 965. Back then I was very poor and had to pick one. It was Balkan Sobranie. The 965 today is only a rough approximation. But in deference to the past I have a lot of it aging. Will try it again when it is 8 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.