Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

The Pipe Log-Jam

(37 posts)
  1. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does everyone here clean each and every pipe religiously after a smoke or are you like me, I hate cleaning them, often smoke late and then clean it the next morning (with no ill effects that I've noticed), or get into the position I'm in now where I have a table covered with a bunch of pipes and save them up and clean a half dozen all at once? Worse, one of them, a cob, I smoked it three times yesterday without anything other than emptying the bowl?

Still, I seldom need more than one pipe cleaner to get a pipe clean. I guess I'd rather the pipe serve me than my life wrapped around constant fussing with them.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try to clean them every time but it's a fools errand for me. I have about 20 briars from the last week that need cleaned. But that's why I smoke meerschaums and Falcons when I get busy. The other day I smoked 10 bowls pretty much back to back in my Falcon with a meerschaum bowl. I ran a cleaner through after every smoke and took it apart once for a quick wipe and whenever I travel (quite a bit) I only take three pipes (meters or the Falcon with a Meer bowl), simply because of the pipe back log otherwise.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They stack up and I often end up cleaning a bunch at once. But I do a lot of it at the sink, hot water and a pipe cleaner after. Now I am experimenting and don't even wipe the chamber dry. Pipes are totally ready in a few hours:

Moisture is a problem when you smoke wet tobacco and don't finish near the bottom, (where the heat dissipates what moisture there may be.)

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I run some pipecleaners through and clear the bowl. i should probably do a deep cleaning with some disassembly and alcohol soon.. Seems like a hassle

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I run a cleaner through, then double it to wipe the bowl, then wipe the stem and stummel with a polishing cloth after every smoke. Every three months, I take all my pipes apart and give them a thorough cleaning.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. darthcider

darthcider

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Usually clean with a pipe cleaner after each smoke, but only do a couple bowls a week generally, so it's easier to do it straight away.

Education is important, but motorbikes is importanter.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OCD helps

"regular" pipes are allowed to cool down, taken apart and cleaned ASAP after smoking. The Peterson does not have to wait because of the stem mounting so it's done immediately after emptying the bowl

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes smoked during the week are cleaned on Sunday afternoon. After a bowl a pipe gets a cleaner . Briars may get smoked four or five times in a day and then they rest until Sunday. The Meers? They just get smoked and smoked, cleaned on Sundays.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Log Jam method. I smoke different tobaccos in two or three pipes a day, alternating them to get at least a couple hours drying time. When they throw the flavor off, after a couple days, they go into the cleaning bin whereupon I will deep clean a bunch at a time. I've got three still clean right now so it is time to do at least four or five.

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you’ve got it made. -Groucho Marx
    Mouse-catcher on The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. addamsruspipe

addamsruspipe

Login to Send PM

I used to clean the every night no matter what. But now I will wait till I have several ready to be cleaned then do them all at once. Guess I am getting more relaxed in my old age.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I would respond, but I'm busy. Tonight is pipe cleaning night.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

No rhythm.

Sometimes I'll give them a look over and a spruce up before using them. Sometimes I won't.

Sometimes I'll clean out the stem and bowl before it's even cool. Sometimes I'll just stuff a pipe cleaner down and leave it in.

Sometimes I'll have put the pipe down to finish it later, and never do. So sometimes it's a few days later when they get due care and attention.

Sometimes I'll go a few consecutive smokes without cleaning. Sometimes if the smoke felt clean, and the bowl tapped out clean without digging out soggy dottle, I'll just put it back without a second thought.

Sometimes I realise I've left it a little longer than I should, but a good 5 minute furtle gets it singing again.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Though I'll sometimes smoke a pipe on and off during a day, or from one evening into the next afternoon with relights, once the bowl is smoked, I'll scoop out the ash, wipe out he bowl with a paper towel or paper napkin, clean out the airway with a pipe cleaner, and polish up the pipe with a bandana. Then the pipe gets a rest of a week or more. I wipe out the bowl and don't build cake, which saves reaming; this seems to work well for me, maintaining a sufficient but thin carbon layer. (Several Forums members do likewise. I guess we're a cult.) I pretty much keep up with this, but don't always do it immediately, but usually before I pack a new bowl in a different pipe. It takes minutes, once made a habit. Not really work. Rarely do I have more than one pipe to clean. With many pipes, and moderate smoking, it's a long time between deep cleaning or removing stems.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After scraping any dottle out, I run a pipe cleaner through after smoking.
    Every 3 or 4 smokes in a pipe I'll use a lightly dipped pipe cleaner with Everclear.
    The only exception really is the reverse calabash. It gets taken apart and wiped clean after each smoke.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do like mso489 does, almost exactly.

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. kiel

Kiel

Login to Send PM

I'm with Ashdigger on the falcon. I have a falcon with 2 meer lined bowls. They are my work horses. The other pipes, well, I'll clean them when I get around to it...

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So there is a wide variation---- some people are very organized, proactive and ritualistic while others see it as a necessary evil to get around to eventually only because they have to, yet we all seem to get pretty much the same results! Clean, smokable pipes!

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm an Old Codger and only run a pipe cleaner thru the stem and swab the bowl with the same pipe cleaner, if I feel up to it. When the pipe tells me it needs more cleaning, it gets the more in depth cleaning.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny you say that, Ray. I read some people's cleaning procedure and I wonder if it isn't necessary or they are just a bit obsessive?, me, I seldom find the need for more than one pipe cleaner as I use one end for the upper pipe and start it from the other end for the stem and bowl. Gets all the dirt.

But then, I find briars to be the dirtiest kind of pipe, meers and cobs don't seem to collect as much gunk.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What? You're supposed to clean these dadgum things?

Pipestud
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I pretty much do the PC thang after every bowl. But since I rest pipes a few days or even weeks (and months) afterwards, if one of the racks doesn't have a designated space, I pile them up randomly, most often in front of the 'puter. When I build pyramids that get too unwieldy, I know I need to shop for another pipe rack.

hp
    les

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I clean my pipe(s) at the end of a day's use. A few cleaners through the shank airway, a fluffy or two for the mortise, a couple of cleaners or paper toweling to wipe the chamber walls, a couple of cleaners for the stem, a bit of spit for the rim and mouthpiece. Deeper cleaning one or twice a year. Every now and then I get a bit lazy or forgetful about it, but mostly it's pretty automatic. Helps keep the pipe from getting sour in the mortise, and the shank/stem fit from varying.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What? You're supposed to clean these dadgum things?

Pipestud is my kind of guy. They get a pipe cleaner every two or three bowls...maybe.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I clean as I smoke, running up to a dozen pipe cleaners soaked in TSP through any given briar as I smoke my way through a bowl. After I've consumed the baccy down to a fine white ash, I immediately run a wire brush on a Dremel tool through the bowl, then into a vibratory tumbler, then submerse the pipe in a bath of superheated, recirculating ethanol. Once I remove the pipe from the ethanol, I promptly set fire to it. Although this does a reasonable job of burning off uncombusted tobacco as well as sanitizing the pipe, I then move the pipe into an autoclave for six and a half hours. During this time period, I either take my daily beauty nap and or take pot shots with a BB gun at neighborhood children. Upon removal from the autoclave, the pipe is sent to my shop where a small contingent of Nepalese grandmothers go to work re-staining the briar and dousing the stem with Armor All and Lemon Pledge. The pipe is then ready to re-enter the rotation.

I find this to be sufficient.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mayfair70

mayfair70

Felis Nicotiana combustus

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use 3-4 pipe cleaners per bowl as I smoke, when I'm done with the bowl, I dump out the ash I then wipe out the bowl with a paper towel. I never smoke a pipe two bowls in a row and they generally will go a week or so between smokes, that's why we buy so many pipes! They get a deep cleaning with Everclear when they start to turn sour, maybe twice a year per pipe. Also, I only remove the stems of my pipes when I deep clean, so maybe two or three times a year.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I send my pipes to woodsroad once a week. He does a nice job.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

6.5 hours in the autoclave??? Way too short. You need 24 hours of sanitization.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My take on it is this...take a clean pipe and smoke a full bowl then immediately pass a clean pipecleaner through the stem and take note of the colour change.

Then take another clean pipe and smoke a full bowl but only do the pipecleaner thing 24 hours later and note the colour change is barely perceptible.

This is because the moisture has dried off leaving the once suspended solid particulates to settle inside the stem which makes future cleaning that little more time consuming plus having a negative affect to the taste of subsequent smokes if allowed to build up.

Therefore at the very least I would recommend cleaning the stem immediately after every smoke.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. didache

didache

Login to Send PM

I used to have a maths professor who smoked a pipe incessantly even while he lectured - Gallaher's Rich Dark Honeydew if memory serves. His cleaning ritual was:

a) pipe gurgles
    b) straighten up a paperclip
    c) poke around in the pipe with it until it's covered with enough tar to resurface a road
    d) stick the pipe back in his mouth.

Those were real men in those days!

Mike

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jay, you are right. A good rinse with hot water through the chamber and stem will remove even more of that gunk, then a pipe cleaner will finish the job. I frequently do so right after a smoke, hot water about the same temp as the chamber. Haven't had to deep clean a pipe in six months since I started this practice. Not for the squeamish!

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let us say you don't clean the pipe today and it cools and dries and Jay's particles all get stuck inside. The next time you smoke, won't that stuff all come loose again suspended in the next bath of moisture, and if you run a pipe cleaner through it then, wouldn't you get most of what you accumulated from the two smokings?

Or must we feel guilty now if we don't clean every single use?

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

kanse

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I once experimented(ran out of cleaners) and did not clean my pipes for 3 weeks, just blew through them once I was done smoking. The quality of smoke did not worsen, and I have my doubts it improved.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well ... I mostly run a cleaner right after finishing a bowl. I used to run alcohol-soaked cleaners through every month or so. Not so much now; the pipes don't seem to be suffering. If I don't have a scrap of Bounty on me, I "ream" the bowl with my bare finger to keep the cake from building beyond a minimal layer of carbon. Blow. Hang bowl-end up in the rack 'til rested.

Where the log-jam comes in is that, once in a while, I'll have one or a few unfinished bowls sitting in the ashtray. ( Most of them do get finished eventually.) If they do sit too long ... well, time to do them chores.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kanse, watch the movie "Twelve O'Clock High" .... in it after a pipe is smoked he disassembles it and blows through it. I have done this exact thing and I've not had a problem. I prefect to use pipe cleaners, but hey, I'm not perfect.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"The next time you smoke, won't that stuff all come loose again suspended in the next bath of moisture, and if you run a pipe cleaner through it then, wouldn't you get most of what you accumulated from the two smokings?"

Toobfreak, the answer is yes but with the emphasis on "most of what you accumulated". I prefer to box clever and remove it after every smoke.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After each smoke I run both ends of a pipe cleaner through the stem then fold the pipe cleaner in half and swab out the bowl. I blow through the stem to shoot any loose debris out of the bowl then wipe the pipe with a soft cloth and put it back in the cabinet ready to go.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, redglow, donjgiles, grilledokra, ashdigger, railman, alaskanpiper, sholto, cigrmaster, redone