PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinemax has a series that my wife has gotten me hooked on, The Knick, which is a series about the turn of the century hospital known as the Knick, where a cocaine and heroine addicted surgeon is on the cutting edge of technology. It has great characters and plots. Costumes, scenery and special effects in the operating opera are awesome.
Anyways, there is a burley bearded character who is in charge of the ambulances who is always smoking his pipe. The main doctor is experimenting with hypnosis to conquer his own addictions to coke and heroine, so he tries to hypnotize the ambulance driver to make him hate his pipe, so he'll stop smoking.
He tells him that when he comes out of the trance, he will hate the sight of his pipe, it will disgust him...

Then when he snaps out of it, the driver is acting all terrified of the pipe the doctor is holding, and the doctor asks him if he wants his pipe, of which the driver says, "fuck yeh," and snaps it out of the doctors hands and walks off.
Great series, and I have been noticing more and more pipes in recent movies. I wonder if actors come to these forums to get tips on developing their character's skills in pipes? If so, that ambulance driver has his techniques down. Great clenching skillz.

The actor's name is Happy Anderson, playing Jimmy, the Irish ambulance driver... and a tough SOB.

giphy.gif

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Cosmic I love the program and the Amblance Driver. Hey Fargos Momma Gerhart the mobs leader smokes the pipe, I was surprised when Al didn't chime in on that as this is one of his favorite programs, maybe he did and I missed it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fargo the TV series may be better than the film! Two seasons, too. But you should start with the first episode, though the two seasons are separate, you could watch Season 2 first and then 1 if you wanted with no loss.
Anyone catch what pipe Ma Gerhardt was playing with?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I loved Fargo! It is a classic. I am going to check out the television series. I have seen it advertised but thought it probably was like that sort of thing generally goes, disappointing. Good news, thanks Brad.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Just watched the Fargo episode (s03e07) with the pipe scene. First I thought the pipe was a Pete but maybe not. A Wellington or something similar perhaps. I loved how she doesn't ask for permission but just declares "I'm going to smoke.":
nhZjLQV.png

I like this second season even more than the first one. One of the better done TV series at the moment.
I really liked the first season of The Knick, a really well done period drama. Must watch the second season at some point. I'm really glad it didn't get cancelled.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I'm currently watching the two Sherlock Holmes series made in the UK in the 1980s with Jeremy Brett. For me, Brett was the best Holmes and these series are easily the best screen adaptations of the books; very faithful to 'The Adventures...' and 'The Return of Sherlock Holmes'. In them, Brett - a heavy cigarette smoker who took up the pipe - actually smokes a variety of pipes in virtually every scene set in 221B Baker Street. Churchwardens, cutties, dublins and of course a beautiful gourd calabash. The tobacco resides in a Persian slipper. Interestingly, one episode explains something I never worked out - why the stud at the base of the bowl of a cutty? I always assumed it was a stand, but halfway down a bowl in a clay cutty Holmes starts to hold the pipe by the stud as the bowl get too hot. It makes sense - as briar became the material of choice, the bowl didn't get as hot and the stud - much more difficult to carve in wood than to cast in a mould for clay - was dropped from the design. Learn something new every day!
Andy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just watched the Fargo episode (s03e07) with the pipe scene. First I thought the pipe was a Pete but maybe not. A Wellington or something similar perhaps. I loved how she doesn't ask for permission but just declares "I'm going to smoke.":
That's kinda her style!
I looked pretty cheaply made, reminds me of a mistake I made buying a pipe via Amazon.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Interestingly, one episode explains something I never worked out - why the stud at the base of the bowl of a cutty? I always assumed it was a stand, but halfway down a bowl in a clay cutty Holmes starts to hold the pipe by the stud as the bowl get too hot. It makes sense - as briar became the material of choice, the bowl didn't get as hot and the stud - much more difficult to carve in wood than to cast in a mould for clay - was dropped from the design. Learn something new every day!
Thanks Andy, I had never worked that out either.

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
The actor´s name is Chris Sullivan as the Ambulance Driver, not Happy Anderson as stated before. just clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.