The Pill That Will Get Me Off Cigs, But What Will Happen To My Pipe Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
So some of you know me and the wife have been trying to have our first child for about 2 years now. We have been... well, she has been under the watchful eye of the fertility clinic for almost 6 months, and up until last night i have not been an issue in terms of my boys doing there job, i had it checked out and the lab tests came back excellent (there words not mine). But then we had an appointment with the new fertility Doctor and he said that because i smoke cigs there's no way my sperms are good and said i need to recheck them and quit smoking.
Now i may have went into too much detail here but whatever were all adults lol. So this new doctor seems like a douche bag since everything he was saying seemed like it was improve and he just wanted to go home for the night. And he prescribed me these pills to quit without checking into my background medical history or anything it was the first time i met the guy. Nothing about it seemed right,
My question is does anyone have experience with such pills and how did they treat your pipe smoking.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
At my last physical wellness check up, I asked my doctor about those pills to help me quit. She told me she'd rather see me continue to smoke rather than take those pills. That shocked my socks off, because she's always on me about quitting.
The side effects are horrific. As far as sperm, from what I've read, studies are still being performed and the bottom line is: The medical community still isn't sure if it has much effect or not. They assume it must, and are running studies to prove it, but the proof doesn't exist just yet.
If you want to quit the cigarettes, try patches, gum, E-cigs, pick up the pipe more often, etc. But from my own experience, I wouldn't advise taking those pills.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Your doc is an anti-smoking Nazi, I am nearly 100% sure that cig smoking won't be a huge factor in the health of your baby, however I am also pretty sure you don't want to fill his lungs with it, so after he's born, smoking in the house should be fine, just don't be sitting right next to the baby when you do it :) They do get respiratory issues just by thinking about them.
I think as a doctor he was obligated to tell you what he said about quitting, however he also mentioned medication way too quickly, I would not be going to him anymore unless you need some fancy painkillers or insomnia medication.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
8O I should have been a fertility doctor!
I don't smoke in my house, because of the stink and mess, but also because my son is prone to ear infections if he is around cig smoke. It's easy enough, I just take it outside or to the garage.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Another thing thats making me wanna try it though is that anything that will improve our chances i wanna try, my poor wife has gone through hell taking medication of all sorts to try and get pregnant the worst part is they dont see anything wrong with us so they dont know why and how to treat us. on paper we are healthy and able to have children it just doesnt make sense.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
smokeybear, I think you just need more quality and quantity. Practice makes perfect. 8)

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ya Eric it was weird and rushed seemed way to soon to throw pills at me however the plan was to quit as soon as we found out she was pregnant anyway. i wanted to be 100% dedicated pipe smoker rather than sharing my lungs with cigs. lol

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
You can always try adopting a child, there are many healthy babies in need of a good home. It would be nice if you could have your own, but it isn't always possible. Give it a good solid year of trying, if it doesn't happen, adopt, I know many people who have adopted and they are very happy with their decision, their children are very good kids.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My issue with doctors is they WON'T prescribe me medication for any of my conditions. They are too afraid of taking a chance that I may misuse them even though I have a legitimate need.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Dear friend, tell the kind doctor to go f@#$! himself. Remember they work for you, not the other way around. One more thing, don't forget to let the air outta his tires before your next appointment.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
You can always try adopting a child
Yes we have discussed this also me and the wife and agreed that if all else fails we will adopt, i must admit it took alot out of me to agree to this because ive always wanted my own child but i realized that raising a child will make it your own no matter what and i know i can love this child. Since my wife is a child youth worker and works with big brother and sisters she was much more comfortable with this idea then I at first, Bless her heart.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I have family members who have been adopted from other races entirely. Works well! One just went to college, he's the only black person in my family, I bet that was a weird childhood, but I am proud to call him a cousin.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Dear friend, tell the kind doctor to go f@#$! himself. Remember they work for you, not the other way around.
For sure buddy he was really just a tool terrible people skills and not the right attitude for a fertility clinic.
I have family members who have been adopted from other races entirely. Works well! One just went to college.
Thats great to hear Eric.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My worst doctor experience was when I had the flue and one refused to prescribe me affordable medication. She said I could only use a certain brand name medication and no generic would do. I even had the pharmacist call her and she told the same thing to the pharmacy! While others were being rung up for their $20 flue medications, mine was $450. I chose to remain sick and unmediated rather than to pay a whole month's worth of paychecks on just getting well a couple days sooner. Some work for themselves and not their patients.
Between being told no and not getting the right medication from several doctors, but paying hundreds of dollars for their bad service per visit, I've pretty much given up on the lot, I only go in when I am pretty much dying.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Smokey, when I was knocking off the cigarettes I tried Zyban which is an anti-depressant (also known as Bupropion). It is commonly prescribed to aid quitters with the psychological impact of withdrawing from cigarettes. Ultimately, this didn't work for me, and I didn't appreciate the other side-effects of the drug. Some studies have shown that it can also have a negative affect on sperm count.
What worked for me, when it came to quitting, was the determination to quit along with the use of the patch to manage a gradual withdrawal from nicotine, and the online "Smoker's Helpline" tracking tool. This is cool, as it helps you track how much money you're saving, how many cigarettes you haven't consumed, and also connects you with relevant and timely information about everything that your body, brain, heart is going through while you quit.
http://www.smokershelpline.ca/how-to-get-help
Good luck bro. It's a tough road, but it's a great place to be when you get to the end of the quit.
Oh yeah, I also "Quit" publicly. I told EVERYONE I knew that I was quitting, I needed a little threat of embarrassment if I stumbled and good support from those that love me when I did.`
Best,
-- Pat

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Thanks Pat I actually tried the helpline a year ago i may revisit it as a matter of fact its the first place i used the user name Smokeybear as a joke to myself the name stuck and unfortunately so did the cigs lol
But it was very helpful i think im going to rejoin it thanks again Pat your great friend buddy.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Your Doctor is full of s#@!T !!! I was a heavy cig user for many years untill 5yrs ago. Piper since my youth. I have sired 4 children, quite easily I might add. Two of those four children are cig users, they have 7 kids between them, so I don't see it.

The pills you are refering to, have you ever listened to the fast talk at the end of the commercial to all the side effects that are possible?! Makes Russian roulette seem a better option.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
HaHa Bluesmk well said buddy, i come from a big extended family myself sounds like its a lot of fun at your place around the holidays lol i know it get loud with my family. bless you and your family brother. i already can tell your a cool ass grandad. Hell you smoke a pipe of course you are cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.