PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
So I used to smoke strictly Va periques and now I have moved on to lat blends. Well guess what I taste in all my pipes? Perique. It's so overpowering sometimes I think I'm smoking a vaper when its a 50/50 lat because all I taste is Perique. So I'm thinking just keep puffing the lat blends and the Perique will subside after a few bows. Wishful thinking? Thought, opinions, and conjecture please.

Dec 24, 2012
Well, you could try a retort - do a couple of consecutive clean throughs with salt or cotton in the chamber.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I've had the experience of the pepper taste of Perique ghosting a pipe. Two or three bowls of Carter Hall normally takes care of it. You could also try DGTing a straight VA or a VABur, I find DGT tends to pull the ghost out.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
I never smoke the last 20% of the bowl, I think that might have something to do with it
I always clean after each use with ever clear
Sorry but please remind me of what DGT is?
Thanks

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
I never smoke the last 20% of the bowl, I think that might have something to do with it
I always clean after each use with ever clear
Sorry but please remind me of what DGT is?
Thanks

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Ciderguy is right about Carter Hall. I will hit it with CH for about a week or two and it resets the pipe.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I always smoke to the bottom, and I still notice the Perique ghost. In fact, I often notice it more when I'm smoking the next bowl. One of my favorite blends is GLP Cairo (VaPerO). During the smoke there is only the slightest hit of Perique, but in the next bowl of anything else all I can taste is the black pepper from the Perique.
I never understood why one would DGT until I tried it with a straight VA. I like to DGT McClelland's Bulk No.5100 Red Cake so much that it is about the only way I smoke it. If I forget to DGT it, I just load up my pipe smoke for bit, set it down, and then smoke a bowl of something else in another pipe.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find the same thing with my vaper pipe, I have a kaywoodie I smoked st. james woods in and anything else I smoke in it you can taste the perique big time still. I'm a big fan of the salt or cotton ball and alcohol soak to remove previous tobacco ghosts, plus just to clean up a pipe nicely. It's very easy, cheap, and doesn't have the potential to blow up in your face which is why I wouldn't use a retort, as all the safety gear involved just isn't worth it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.