PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I'm looking for some suggestions for a blend that I can enjoy indoors that has a "very pleasant" or "pleasant" room note.
My beautiful and loving wife doesn't mind if I smoke my pipe indoors (already a win there), but over the years the blends that aren't axed are dwindling. I have also become more sensitive to the lingering cigarette smell that some blends can produce. Of course, she really likes aromatic blends that I smoke on occasion (RLP-6, Autumn Evening, 1Q), and always says when she likes one. However, I don't care to smoke aromatics all that much and prefer the natural flavor of tobacco.
I love virigina and vaper flakes (507c, Capstan, Dunhill Flake, PS LNF) and vaburs and burleys (Stonehaven, MB Navy Flake, Uhle's 300). I actually really enjoy some of the OTCs and Matches, such as Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed, Chatham Manor, etc, but these, too, can result in a less-than-pleasant room note for my beloved. Anything with Latakia is strictly forbidden, as they "smell like a headache."
What do you recommend in the way of VA flakes, Vapers, and Burleys that produce a pleasant room note but retain a true tobacco taste? An aromatic non-aromatic? Or should I just cut my losses/count my blessings, and stick to aros while indoors?

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I love Peterson's Irish Flake! I think the room note is similar to ODF, which she says is "okay...not great." I do have some on hand, however, and might give that one a shot... Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully Peterson's is back in stock sooner than later.

derhammer

Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
I always get compliments whenever I smoke the Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. Though it is rather mild for me, but I like the vanilla aroma that lingers for a while.

But perhaps the gents can suggest something better.

Cheers.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
SWRA everytime. Have been complimented on Prince Albert, mostly guys saying it smells good. Burley Flake was surprisingly welcomed and drew company onto the patio. Grasmere smells of marshmallow to a number of people. Burley Lite Without Bite and Perique tastes and smells like chocolate.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Prince Albert (just as theloniousmonkfish said). Half and Half and Sweet Killarney have nicer scents for one’s companions’ enjoyment. The latter one is hit and miss, you’ll either really like it or you really won’t.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You might Peterson's University Flake if you haven't already. The plum topping doesn't overpower the tobacco and she may find it to be an acceptable room note.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Mix that RLP - 6 half and half with some turkish ribbon for a more interesting smoke with all the room note you need, anytime before now I would have recommended that macclelland bulk turkish ribbon....
Isaac

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I like SWRA alot but the note may still be too much for a non smoker. I recomend Aged Maduro Cavendish or P.S. Black Cavendish. I let them dry days to weeks and the result is a room note that's great w no cigarette smell or headache.. You might check out the Cherry thread that was going a few days ago if your thinking to give cherry aros a try.

P.S. Nougat was smoked while filming by all the actors in the Lord of the Rings movies so there's that.

Those give you 3 fairly different solid options.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
After about 5 yrs. I've stopped smoking inside. I get more exercise now. heh heh.

I cleaned the vertical blinds in my living room in January, just before my kids came to visit and it wasn't a pretty sight to see all that nicotine residue.

NOW, I notice that there is more residue about, which will require more than cleaning to eliminate, but I do enjoy the fresh air, too.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Sorry, but based on my experience there is an inverse relationship between taste to the smoker and room note to a non-smoker. I really can't come up with any exceptions to that rule.
Based on my 22+ years of pipe smoking, all the gooey aromatics smell heavy and sweet in the room, but taste like the burning chemicals that they really are. The alcohol based aromatics (Woodbridge for instance) transfer the taste to the smoker, but really don't translate to room note (still smells like good tobacco smoke).
I happen to like Grousemoore, which does translate same rose/geranium to both taste and room note. But you get the same love-hate reaction by non-smokers as you do pipers. Some will love it, others will think grandma just stuck a fork in the toaster.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For room note, you have to find what pleases the audience along with yourself. I think a tobacco-forward aromatic will work best, though like many you'd prefer a non-aro. For a tobacco forward that might also appeal to your bystanders, SWRA is a good first suggestion. You may have to try a number of blends.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Thank you for all the suggestions! I have a new TAD list running! lol
I tried SWRA several years ago and liked it... I'll give that one another shot!
I also enjoy Peterson's University Flake. I have one unopened tin that I just picked up! I'm hoping Peterson will be back in stock soon...
I have mixed RLP6 with other blends in the past, notably Chatham Manor, and it definitely toned down its aromatic nature. I imagine mixing it with an oriental mixer would produce a very interesting flavor! I might have to see if I can find a good oriental...
I have tried LTF. I have to admit, I really have to be in the mood for that one. There's something about the top note... Maybe it's that I don't really like caramel. :| However, it's worth running it by her!
I don't have a lot of experience with lakelands, but Ennerdale wasn't exactly a positive one. That's a whole different avenue to explore, which I might do...someday. haha
MSO, I think you've hit the nail on the head! What I'm looking for is a tobacco-forward aro. Too bad there's not a search option for that category on TobaccoReviews.com!
Jeff540 and Cosmic, I'm inclined to agree with you both. Newbroom, I may be headed in that direction myself. Right now I live in San Diego County, so I can't complain about having to smoke outside since it's always pretty nice. We're moving this summer to Portland, however, so that might change things up a bit!
Thanks again everyone for your input! Keep 'em coming!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One advantage of SWRA is that it is produced to meet the demand, so you don't have to continually hunt it down. That may not always be true, but right now, it's as available as any.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Grasmere and glengarry from Gh&co are acceptable in my household. So are some last blends so I guess I am lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.