Tags:   

The Perfect Compromise Blend?

(29 posts)
  • Started 1 week ago by sittingbear
  • Latest reply from mothernature
  1. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I'm looking for some suggestions for a blend that I can enjoy indoors that has a "very pleasant" or "pleasant" room note.

My beautiful and loving wife doesn't mind if I smoke my pipe indoors (already a win there), but over the years the blends that aren't axed are dwindling. I have also become more sensitive to the lingering cigarette smell that some blends can produce. Of course, she really likes aromatic blends that I smoke on occasion (RLP-6, Autumn Evening, 1Q), and always says when she likes one. However, I don't care to smoke aromatics all that much and prefer the natural flavor of tobacco.

I love virigina and vaper flakes (507c, Capstan, Dunhill Flake, PS LNF) and vaburs and burleys (Stonehaven, MB Navy Flake, Uhle's 300). I actually really enjoy some of the OTCs and Matches, such as Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed, Chatham Manor, etc, but these, too, can result in a less-than-pleasant room note for my beloved. Anything with Latakia is strictly forbidden, as they "smell like a headache."

What do you recommend in the way of VA flakes, Vapers, and Burleys that produce a pleasant room note but retain a true tobacco taste? An aromatic non-aromatic? Or should I just cut my losses/count my blessings, and stick to aros while indoors?

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

I think Peterson's Irish Flake has a fantastic room note, but I'm not your wife, so YMMV...

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I love Peterson's Irish Flake! I think the room note is similar to ODF, which she says is "okay...not great." I do have some on hand, however, and might give that one a shot... Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully Peterson's is back in stock sooner than later.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

I always get compliments whenever I smoke the Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. Though it is rather mild for me, but I like the vanilla aroma that lingers for a while.
    But perhaps the gents can suggest something better.
    Cheers.

Pierre
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SWRA everytime. Have been complimented on Prince Albert, mostly guys saying it smells good. Burley Flake was surprisingly welcomed and drew company onto the patio. Grasmere smells of marshmallow to a number of people. Burley Lite Without Bite and Perique tastes and smells like chocolate.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Prince Albert (just as theloniousmonkfish said). Half and Half and Sweet Killarney have nicer scents for one’s companions’ enjoyment. The latter one is hit and miss, you’ll either really like it or you really won’t.

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might Peterson's University Flake if you haven't already. The plum topping doesn't overpower the tobacco and she may find it to be an acceptable room note.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 week ago #
  8. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mix that RLP - 6 half and half with some turkish ribbon for a more interesting smoke with all the room note you need, anytime before now I would have recommended that macclelland bulk turkish ribbon....

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

I like SWRA alot but the note may still be too much for a non smoker. I recomend Aged Maduro Cavendish or P.S. Black Cavendish. I let them dry days to weeks and the result is a room note that's great w no cigarette smell or headache.. You might check out the Cherry thread that was going a few days ago if your thinking to give cherry aros a try.
    P.S. Nougat was smoked while filming by all the actors in the Lord of the Rings movies so there's that.
    Those give you 3 fairly different solid options.

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Luxury Twist Flake.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 week ago #
  11. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Totally second the luxury twist flake.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After about 5 yrs. I've stopped smoking inside. I get more exercise now. heh heh.
    I cleaned the vertical blinds in my living room in January, just before my kids came to visit and it wasn't a pretty sight to see all that nicotine residue.
    NOW, I notice that there is more residue about, which will require more than cleaning to eliminate, but I do enjoy the fresh air, too.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stoved virginias have a pleasant room note IMO. FVF, BBF and such. I don't think anything with perique is going to do you any favors.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  14. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

Gawith and Hogarth blends, if you like trips to the lake.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Sorry, but based on my experience there is an inverse relationship between taste to the smoker and room note to a non-smoker. I really can't come up with any exceptions to that rule.

Based on my 22+ years of pipe smoking, all the gooey aromatics smell heavy and sweet in the room, but taste like the burning chemicals that they really are. The alcohol based aromatics (Woodbridge for instance) transfer the taste to the smoker, but really don't translate to room note (still smells like good tobacco smoke).

I happen to like Grousemoore, which does translate same rose/geranium to both taste and room note. But you get the same love-hate reaction by non-smokers as you do pipers. Some will love it, others will think grandma just stuck a fork in the toaster.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Aromatics, in my experience, only have a short-lived roomnote. A blend may smell good for a short time, but by the time the smoker is through and the smoke settles, it smells worse than most non-aromatics. Thankfully, my wife really likes the smell of Virginias.

Michael
    Posted 1 week ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For room note, you have to find what pleases the audience along with yourself. I think a tobacco-forward aromatic will work best, though like many you'd prefer a non-aro. For a tobacco forward that might also appeal to your bystanders, SWRA is a good first suggestion. You may have to try a number of blends.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the suggestions! I have a new TAD list running! lol

I tried SWRA several years ago and liked it... I'll give that one another shot!

I also enjoy Peterson's University Flake. I have one unopened tin that I just picked up! I'm hoping Peterson will be back in stock soon...

I have mixed RLP6 with other blends in the past, notably Chatham Manor, and it definitely toned down its aromatic nature. I imagine mixing it with an oriental mixer would produce a very interesting flavor! I might have to see if I can find a good oriental...

I have tried LTF. I have to admit, I really have to be in the mood for that one. There's something about the top note... Maybe it's that I don't really like caramel. However, it's worth running it by her!

I don't have a lot of experience with lakelands, but Ennerdale wasn't exactly a positive one. That's a whole different avenue to explore, which I might do...someday. haha

MSO, I think you've hit the nail on the head! What I'm looking for is a tobacco-forward aro. Too bad there's not a search option for that category on TobaccoReviews.com!

Jeff540 and Cosmic, I'm inclined to agree with you both. Newbroom, I may be headed in that direction myself. Right now I live in San Diego County, so I can't complain about having to smoke outside since it's always pretty nice. We're moving this summer to Portland, however, so that might change things up a bit!

Thanks again everyone for your input! Keep 'em coming!

Posted 1 week ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One advantage of SWRA is that it is produced to meet the demand, so you don't have to continually hunt it down. That may not always be true, but right now, it's as available as any.

Posted 1 week ago #
  20. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grasmere and glengarry from Gh&co are acceptable in my household. So are some last blends so I guess I am lucky

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I guess what I'm thinking of is the old fashioned "Grandpa" blends that makes all the ladies swoon. I don't want to admit that what they're talking about is probably Captain Black or 1Q! haha

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The local tobacconist here refers to those blends as “ the blends that old guys smoke because their wives let them smoke it in the house”
    It is true. An occasional bowl of 1Q won’t hurt lol

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you’re right about Captain Black & 1Q. There room note is seductive. Have you tried cutting your blends with Brown Bogie or Brown Twist Sliced? One of my crowd pleasers is a 50/50 mix of Brown Bogie & Autumn Evening, smells great to those around me but adds enough kick and complexity to keep me interested. Might be worth trying to cut CB or 1Q. An old friend of mine put Lat in his CB and it smells great when he smokes it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I love Peterson's Irish Flake! I think the room note is similar to ODF, which she says is "okay...not great." I do have some on hand, however, and might give that one a shot... Thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully Peterson's is back in stock sooner than later."

Okay is a win in my book.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

others will think grandma just stuck a fork in the toaster.

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  26. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, I just tried Comoy's Cask No. 2 (Portwood) and it's pretty good! I do like aros that are topped with spirits or alcohol... Somehow that's less "aro" than a goopy syrupy blend. More natural maybe.

Posted 6 days ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sitting bear, I tend to agree that alcoholic beverage flavors tend to go better than many flavorings in tobacco, including whiskeys, rum, and liqueurs. Foodstuffs turn me off somewhat, although many are quite smokable. I like my foods more in edible form.

Posted 6 days ago #
  28. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Sounds like "man cave/smoking quarters" may be required.

Posted 6 days ago #
  29. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's no good answer to this one. It's a either you love me for me or you don't love me situation. Smoke what you like. We'll never be able to make them happy. None of them. Not even the wives will be happy. It's not us though, it's them. We're happy. Ed G has latakia, but she'll love it and you may too?

Posted 6 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   autumnfog, daniel7, adforbes