The Penzance of Aromatics?? Anything out there?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I've been seeing all these posts and reviews of the difficulty of finding Penzance and how amazing it is. (Minus those select few that disagree)

Just wondering if there is any aromatic out there that is as impressive and rare?

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Dans "Devils Holiday" is always in short supply, and very highly rated. Also, Sillems Black. Never had either one, and likely never will because it's always sold out.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
An interesting question, and one I never thought to ask or wonder about. I'll have to look into the two blends gtclark mentioned, since I can't imagine why an aromatic would be in short supply -- especially one produced by one of the largest (if not THE largest) German blender (Dan Tobacco). Penzance is dependent on the right tobacco leaf, but it's also made at a very very small company with virtually no automated processes. I'm used to thinking that aromatics are more reliant on their flavorings than any specific leaf, so I can't imagine why there'd be any shortages, ever.
Bob

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Yeah, I've been thinking about this question...I also agree with gtclark on the Devil's Holiday, and Blue Note, by Dan Tobacco seem to go out often. I have to be honest though, and I say this as someone who has smoked aromatics for years, if a blend I liked were to disappear I doubt I'd be devastated at all. There will always be others to move on to. I don't think you can really find a "rare" aromatic that will get the hype of a Penzance...

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Penzance of aromatics: Take a tin of your favorite aro, remove it from all retailers and put a few bags on ebay for $100. Same experience! :D

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I'd have to agree with everyone saying Dan Tobacco's aros. A lot of people seem to rave about their Blue Note, Devil's Holiday, or Da Vinci, but have a hard time finding them.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
How about Tewksbury's Nosferatu? Maybe the anise would qualify it as an aro to some? What actually qualifies an aro? Casing? Would Frog's Cellar be an aro or just tainted? Nosferatu and Cellar are as close as I get to aros but both mouth watering good to me. Have heard good things about Devil's Holiday though...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I would recommend SG Chocolate Flake.
It's Virginia based with some Latakia, like Penzance, but has a natural cocoa flavor

pressed in. Pretty tasty stuff!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The only thing I can come up with is Peterson's yearly offerings. I believe they only make up like 1,000 tins of them each (Special Reserve, Summertime, and Holiday Season) to be sold world wide. You pretty much have to jump on them the week they're released otherwise you won't get a tin. They're always amazing blends, though the casings are different for each of them and differ from year to year.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Dan's Blue Note. An excellent aro that is often out of stock at most retailers. Nowhere near as hard to get as Penz or Stonehaven of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.