PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Today marks the 20th anniversary of the death of my old friend and hero, comics' greatest writer/artist/creator, Jack "King" Kirby. Without Jack, there is no Captain America, no Iron Man, no Thor, no X-Men, no Spider-Man, no Hulk, no Avengers, no Marvel Universe. He created or co-created more million dollar properties than anybody else in the business, and despite what Stan Lee claims, is the major creator of the Marvel characters. He was a rather humble guy considering his achievements, and kind to everybody. He may not have gotten the proper credit for what he did, or the money he was entitled to, but he's remembered by everybody who saw his work and by everybody who ever met him. I'm dedicating all my smokes to Jack today, who occasionally smoked a pipe, btw. RIP, Jack.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
Jiminks, thank you for the reminder. I always thought Lee got way more recognition than he should have while Kirby humbly put out issue after issue of fantastic artwork. He was a giant.I'll smoke some for him today as well.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Anyone who has seriously collected comics has heard Jack's name. Did great things for imaginations of all ages.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Peck: I didn't say Jack created Spider-Man as you know the character, per se'. But it was Jack who brought the concept to Stan Lee. The original idea for Spider-Man was actually created by Joe Simon, Jack Kirby, Jack Oleck and CC Beck (co-creator of Captain Marvel), as The Silver Spider in 1955, though it was never published. Simon and Kirby revamped the idea for a SpiderMan (no hyphen) character that was never published, though they did use the script to create The Fly for Archie Comics in 1958. Later, Kirby drew the first few pages of Spider-Man basically using the origin of the Silver Spider, which Stan Lee didn't like (and denies, though he's not believed by most comics historians), and Lee then turned it over to Steve Ditko. But several of Kirby's ideas were kept, though Ditko with Lee recreated the idea. Without Kirby suggesting the character to Lee, there's no Spider-Man. I'll stand by that all day long, especially considering that Kirby, Simon, Beck, and Ditko all stated this was what happened, and there is proof that still exists for this scenario.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my old friend Will Eisner telling a funny Jack Kirby story. Seems like only yesterday that these great men were alive and creating the work of the Gods.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmykiOdHzH0

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jack was one of the greats, and a hero of my childhood. He was a truly original talent; his work is so distinctive that it can be easily identified fifty feet away.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jguss: I totally agree. Jack was a true original and took great pride in that. His work was so graphical attractive to the senses that you always felt compelled by it. I have a unprinted Thor page from the 1960s in my studio and power bursts from every line in every panel. It's still in pencil form, but images are so potent that you can see them from a distance with stark clarity. I was always amazed by the fact that there have been many people with much lesser talent who let you know how good they think they are, but the man who had the most talent treated everybody like an equal. Jack was not a braggart. He always made everybody feel like they knew him, and he never felt he was better than other people. Jack, for all his greatness as a creator, was a regular guy who really liked people.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jack Kirby was Marvel comics, Stan Lee or no. When I reflect on the wonderful images of the Silver Surfer, The Fantastic Four, and much much more, it's Kirby's images that come to mind.

When I was working on Duck Dodgers a few years ago, we had a sequence revolving around a character named "Hungortus", who had something of an eating disorder - he ate entire planets. We designed the character around some of Kirby's stylistic elements including an animating energy field filled with what we called "Kirby dots".

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sablebrush: That's funny. A parody of Galactus. See... Kirby's everywhere!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
As a kid growing up in the '70s, I was enthralled every time I could get my hands on a comic book and Marvel Comics, I thought, were always the best! Captain America, Iron Man, and Spiderman were my three favorite superheroes. RIP, Mr. Kirby.
sablebrush, neat to hear that you worked on the Duck Dodgers cartoon series. I was always a big Looney Tunes fan as well!

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Yep. He was one of the driving forces, not just of marvel, but comic books in general. He forced other companies to raise the bar in order to compete.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Jack Kirby was truly a hall of fame talent. I was and still am a consumer of comic books. Jack Kirby was not only a creator and great artist, but a great visual storyteller. Thank you for honoring him with your post. I just finished smoking a bowl of Erik Stokkebye 4th generation 1897 in honor of the legend. :worship:

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Jack "King" Kirby is in my esteem THE greatest comic's artist-creator of all time! I loved all his work especially his work with Stan Lee in "Tales to Astonish" - NOTHING rivals his work! God rest his soul.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I posted this story in another forum, and thought you folks might like to read it: I was a house guest of the Kirbys' for a few days after the 1991 San Diego Con. My wife knew Jack loved chocolate cake, so she made a small one (sans icing, but it was still very tasty), and mailed it so it arrived the day after we got to the house. Jack was thrilled about it, but Roz said, "You can only eat a little bit, Jack. Remember you're on a diet!" When Roz wasn't looking, I gave Kirby an extra piece of cake. He ate it real fast and asked,"Are their any crumbs on my shirt?" "No, Jack. I think we got away with it." And we did!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's a picture of Kirby drawing the Thing while smoking a pipe. http://seanhowe.tumblr.com/post/75402007687/jack-kirby-at-the-san-diego-comic-con-1980

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
One of the treasures of my own modest comic book collection is the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" solo Donatello story that Eastman & Laird did, with Donatello meeting Jack Kirby... It was a fitting tribute to a hugely influential guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.