PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
I own 2 Petersons a bulldog "Aran" 150 and a Connemara 87s. They burn nice but I think they would be much better burners if they were not P-lips! I just dont like em. They for whatever reason love to make me produce way to much saliva and im always hitting them up with a cleaner half way through. thoughts and opinions on the P-lip stem?

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
They don't bug me so much, though if given the choice I always choose a fishtail. There was a thread here (I think it was here) about modifying p-lips to remove them some time ago.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm not a fan, infact I had my only p-lip pipe restemmed. I found the p-lip prone to burning the roof of mouth as it direct the smoke upwards

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I love the "lip" for resting a pipe in the jaw as I work. Not really a clincher, the pipe rests between back molars with the jaw at rest. The "P-lip" works well for this style of smoking. For that matter, so do the rubber bits.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one P-Lip, a Pete Killarney Rhodesian 999, I'm smoking right now. I like it, but one is sufficient for my purposes.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I like P-Lips. One of my first 3 pipes was a P-lip. I have learned to smoke with one, so I find it perfectly comfortable.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Lots of guys hate them, but they are super easy to clench. I love them for hiking around outside. And if my tongue is a little raw for some reason I can give it a break.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
What Warren said. They are amazing for the way they hold in mouth, and the little 317 I have curls up tight to the chin making it no more or less cumbersome than any other facial appendage...

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I find them very pleasant to smoke and like my Petes to have them if poss. and would buy more if they also came as an option on non-Petersons as well.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I had the same Aran Bulldog that I didn't care for the p-lip stem. I had georged make me a replacement stem and now I love the pipe. I also have a Killarney shape 69 with a p-lip and on this pipe I quite like it. Just the way the pipe hangs on the bent stem I guess. :puffy:

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
About 30-35 years ago I bought a straight Peterson de Luxe medium size billiard with a p-lip stem,my first.

I could not do with that stem so I had an ordinary made by a local pipemaker.

Now,many p-lip pipes later I regret that.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I bought a p-lip stem for my corn cob pipes. I'm glad I did. It was a cheap way to try that type of stem. The test results are in: I hardly ever use it cause it doesn't clench well.
But this thread inspires me to try it again.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I picked up a Pete Deluxe recently with a plip (my first) and find it to be extraordinarily comfortable. I was fully prepared to count the lip and the system as a gimmick but kept an open mind and was quite surprised. So, put me in the like camp.
From what I've seen, the plips on the deluxe pipes are cut differently from the other lines and are always thinner and often wider. I may not care for a plip on a standard, I don't really know.
I think plips belong on system pipes which give the saliva a place to go and eliminate the need for a pipe cleaner during smoking.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Early on, I hated the P-lip on my lower end, acrylic stemmed pipes.
Then, I purchased a few pre-Republic era pipes with Vulcanite stems. Since then, I've added some higher end Petersons, all with vulcanite, P-lip stems.
I now love these stems, in fact I just got done smoking a new to me, 1974 Sterling Shape 69.
The P-lip is easy to clench of even mouth hold. I do use two-hands when lighting.
I fine the P-lip very kind to my mouth, when smoking multiple pipes at an event, club meeting, etc.
I'm starting to prefer them vs. the standard bit.
Choose the pipe carefully, and you will be rewarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.