PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skypilot

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2017
I've been an aro smoker for all of my adult life. Recently, I kept getting a hankering for a little more tobacco flavor. After much reading of reviews, I ordered a pouch of Carter Hall. Although there seemed to be much discussion of Burley Bite, the reviews of CH made it sound quite mild and palatable. And, upon receipt, I found that to be true. Although dry as straw, it lit well, burned cleanly, had a wonderful nutty-cocoa aroma, and I just couldn't get enough of it. I went through a pouch in a week..although I shared some with my younger, smarter brother, who also loved it. Neither of us could quite figure out any of the negative reviews, other than the fact that it was pretty mild.
On the strength of that little test, I ordered a tub, which arrived yesterday. The first thing I noticed was the moisture. It was fairly damp. However, it could still be lit easily enough. The cut seemed to be different, also...not as ribbon-y, with what looked like a few more flakes and cubes than I remember from the pouch. The tub note was amazing, and I was really looking forward to sitting down over morning coffee with it. Then, came the magic moment - smoking it. There are only a few words I can use: harsh, bitter, bitey. I couldn't finish the bowl.
I've put out half an ounce to dry...maybe for a while...maybe for a long while....to hopefully get back to that straw feel of the pouch contents, in hopes that I rediscover the nutty-cocoa aroma. But, in the meantime, I'm really disappointed, and looking for some advice here. Will drying do what I want? Or, is it possible that Middleton packs something different in the pouch, than the tub?
I've read many reviews where the differences between pouch contents and tub contents were mentioned....but usually a "plus" for the tub. This was decidedly not the experience I had with the CH tub. Any thoughts? Or, does this go into the "give away....quickly" cabinet?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had no issues with the tubs. Probably drying and packing lighter will fix it up for you.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Weird. I noticed the same thing with Prince Albert. It might just be that the pouches dry it out, or that the stuff in the pouches is designed to be smoked drier.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah I've never noticed a difference in tubs versus pouch. I only buy the tubs these days, and never get a bite, but even my tubs come pretty dry.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
@skypilot -- If you want to dry out a 3g to 5g pipe full of tobacco quickly, try putting it in your microwave on piece of paper for 15 to 20 seconds. But I've never noticed CH being overly moist in either a pouch or tub, so I am with didimauw on this.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I smoke a lot of Prince Albert, and vastly prefer the stuff in the pouch. It tastes much better, contrary to what I was expecting. I now simply empty several pouches into the tub for convenient pipe filling, but will not buy a tub again.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hearth & Home's Chatham Manor , a CH match, gets very good reviews for fidelity to the original. And I read that the quality of the leaf is better. The downside is that you have to commit to buying a 14 oz. tub.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I'd go for Chatham Manor in a tub. This is PC's Midtown Series blended by Russ O. who is a member here. These tub tobaccos are about as reasonably priced as any, and though I haven't tried Chatham Manor, the non-aro Chestnut is one of my go-to tub blends. I've liked Carter Hall, but i have alway had pouches.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Deathmetal- The cut of the tub version seemed longer and "stringier", if that makes sense. The tub still says "Crimp Cut", and the pouch doesn't, so I wonder if that's the difference right there? Oddly enough, I always pictured crimps smoking cheap, oily cigars instead of pipes, but then again, I've never been Shanghaied.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@aldecaker:
The cut of the tub version seemed longer and "stringier", if that makes sense.
Exactly my observations. The pouch was medium broad cut. The tub was shreds.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The tub still says "Crimp Cut", and the pouch doesn't
Interesting. The pouch seemed like more of a standard ribbon cut.
Makes me want to dash off to Brookshire Brothers and score a pouch.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Now you guys are making me wonder. I think I have an unopened pouch for emergencies around here somewhere. Now I'm going to have to bust it out. It's not new information that Carter Hall is my favorite blend ever. I have never tried Catham Manor, for fear that it would taste different and I wouldn't like it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I need to get scientific about this and take photos. When the scrum at the local stores quits, and the waters go down, I'm going to score some Prince Albert.
I mean... you can never have too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.