The oldest / longest history pipe manufacturer is...?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
One of the fun things about smoking a pipe (versus a cigarette) is that one can trace back history on pipes and tobacco.
I am not sure well-read on pipe history, and have been slacking off after getting to the middle of it. There are manufacturers of pipe with traceable long history, such as Dunhill. But among these older brands, which one is:
- the longest running and still currently running manufacturer?

- the longest running, though with name / ownership / location changes, and still currently running manufacturer?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This sounds like a job for mrlowercase (Troy but I'll bet it's a company in St. Claude, France if we're talking briars. There may be some clay pipe companies that go back a couple of hundred years in England. I'll be interested in reading what comes of this discussion.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
When talking Briar Pipes, one would have to assume the oldest company would have to be from St. Claude that is still in production today.
If my memory serves me right, I think Genod is the oldest manufacturer in St. Claude.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
KB&B has been around since 1851 (same company that made Yello Bole). Not the oldest but still pretty old.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That lot in Paris who made meerschaums who are still around whose names escapes me for the moment and of course BBB and before they went out of business Inderwick's of Carnaby Street, London who dated back to the 1690s!

Status
Not open for further replies.