PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I just recently started smoking a pipe(a week ago), just a couple bowls a day. I had tried it when I was younger, but just didn't get it. I recently inherited an old pipe from my granfather. I was in the garage going thru some stuff and found his old pipe, just touching it brought back a flood of memories, so I decided to visit a local tobacco shop and purchase something to put in it (Captain Black Dark). Next thing I know, I'm sitting on the tailgate of my truck, packing this old pipe and lighting up. The smell brought back so many more memories and I found the taste was better than I remember. I was a little to naive about smoking a pipe, so I thought that I was doing something wrong when it 1st went out, lol! I probably puffed a little to hard, got it to hot and it may have went sour on me. I guess I gotta get this old pipe cleaned up. Since then I have done some research (mostly on this forum)and purchased a cob and some better tobacco (house blend at my local tobacco shop). I just placed a couple tobacco orders online and now I'm in the market for a new briar pipe under $100. I guess I'm hooked!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome Mark!

Good start with the MM cob (don't buy Chinese)! You might want to buy 2 cobs to make the shipping worth while, that way you have a couple of different shapes, and have an instant rotation while you're doing your research on briar pipes.
I'd suggest a Savinelli for your first new briar, or an estate Kaywoodie, Comoys, GBD. I'd also suggest buying one that has already been restored by a reputable dealer (we have several on the forum, and some of our advertisers also sell them). Do it yourself can get pretty dirty and time consuming - descriptions on ebay are usually over optomistic.
Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
markthelad, you might want to have your grandfather's pipe restored, depending on what kind of shape

it's in. A pipe repairman could polish the stem and polish or refinish the briar, so it would look essentially

new, without removing any of the memories that go with the pipe. I think that pipe will have more meaning

than any other for you over time. Welcome to Forums. I've been smoking a pipe for forty years, on and off,

and I'm still learning a lot from Forums and other sources. Take it a step at a time and enjoy yourself.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome to the forums!
As far as a good briar, if you check out the Hilson Vintage line over on pipesandcigars you will find a winner. Not sure if they arw still on sale, but they were all down at 60 bucks. I picked one up and can't praise it enough. For the money, they are probably the best smokers you will find.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Thanks guys, I probably will have the old pipe restored, I will look up a good restoration guy. I am going over to the pipe shop later today to look and see what he reccomends. I will bring up those brand names you mentioned. I will probably consider getting a nice restored pipe at some point as well, right now I only smoke a couple bowls a day, so I'm not in dire need right now, I'm just curious.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'll second the Savinelli recommendation, but also look at Stanwell and Brigham. Those three are great factory brands and the Brigham is forgiving for new smokers with their maple filter system. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!
Brian

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Just back from the local pipe shop and I bought a new bent Bjarne Viking for $60, its beautiful. I just smoked my first bowl of a house English blend in it. It definitely smoked better than my Dr. Grabow, I enjoyed it immensely... BUT... I realized that I still have a long way to go on my technique, packing, etc. I think my cob may be a little more forgiving of my poor technique.

QUESTION: How hot should the pipe bowl get? I don't want to damage it.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Welcome to the forum! I was a latecomer to pipe smoking as well and it was the memory of a couple of my uncles who were avid pipe smokers that peaked my interest into giving pipe smoking a try and I've enjoyed it immensely ever since. One of the great aspects about the hobby is that you can try out different pipes and tobacco until you find those pipes and blends that really click for you. Between my own cob pipes as well as a couple clays, and my Savinelli, Kaywoodie, and Falcon briar pipes, I usually have a dedicated pipe available for whatever blends I happen to be in the mood for at the time. One great thing about this forum is that folks on here are a wealth of knowledge and happy to offer advice and input to folks new to the hobby. Also, we have some great site sponsors who can meet all of your pipe and tobacco needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.