The Nicotine Experience: Pipes Vs. Cigarettes vs. ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
A recent thread here about cigarettes got me thinking about the varied use of tobacco. I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes. Starting around 15-years-old rolling Drum and Smoking Export A's for the nice taste and hip aesthetic we somehow saw in it. I stopped smoking cigs at about 25-years-old after working for a number of years in smoked filled studio control rooms in the early '80's, smoking 2+ packs a day of Marlboro reds. At that point I would say that I was addicted to cigarettes, and the nicotine and what ever else was in the smoke was like a breath of fresh air that mellowed me out and got me going again. Eventually I quit cold turkey because I felt so saturated, my fingers, my clothes, everything, from being in such a heavy smoking environment. It was like what I imagine immersion therapies do. It was easy to quite then, as opposed to trying to quite before when I did't want to quit. I never went back to cigs. I took up pipe smoking about 5 years ago when my dad passed down his pipes to me, and I have been a regular moderate pipe smoker ever since. I average about 3 bowls a day. After five years I don't feel addicted to it like I did with cigs, and I have not needed to increase my consumption to feed any cravings. To me the nic in cigs was more forceful and dramatic. It knocked down the wound-up feeling I had from not smoking a cig and then perked me up. With the pipe it's integrated to the pleasure of the taste and mouth feel of smoking the tobacco in a pipe, much more mellow. I experience the same with the few cigars that I smoke. I smoke mostly medium body English and Virginias. A few times I have felt a bit ill from smoking blends with a lot of Burley or Perique, and this after smoking a pipe for a while. Not quite as green around the gills as the first time I smoked a cigar as a teen, but the same kind of nicotine overdose.

Why the difference? Is it simply a matter of inhaling cigs and not inhaling a pipe? Is there something more intrinsic to the different smokes?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
It's interesting what you say about quitting cigs and then picking up the pipe as a moderate smoker. I don't think I'm wired that way. Pipes got me back into smoking cigs, more or less. Maybe I would have picked up cigs again if I hadn't started smoking a pipe. Idk.
I find the nic hit from cigs to be hard and fast, where pipe tobacco is more like a gentle wave of nic that slowly builds in a nice mellow way. It could also be the ritual and cadence involved in pipes.
The only time I favor a cig over a pipe is first thing in the morning, otherwise I smoke cigs for convenience sake. Good quality RYO with charcoal filters...taste better, smell better, not as harsh, etc

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ya, cigs are much more of a compulsion than pipes, and when smoked w/o inhaling, the nicotine impact is less forceful generally.

The process of pipe smoking involves the smoker's conscious relationship to the activity more so than a cig.
The motivation for smoking a cigarette is typically a nicotine bump.

The motivation for smoking a pipe may also be the nicotine, but once undertaken, provides a more complete and contemplative appreciation for its properties, not to mention the flavor.
I've only smoked a couple of hand rolled cigs since I started to smoke a pipe in earnest. I am loath to inhale burnt paper, but I had to experiment for comparison and found that I was content with mucosa nicotine absorption.

I still feel the addiction as a motive, but much less pronounced and much more rewarding when satisfied via a pipe and some good leaf.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I smoked cigarettes exclusively from 1981 until 1988. Pack a day or so. More than a couple of hours without one, except while sleeping, and I noticed a "need". In 1988, I picked up the pipe but still smoked cigarettes. Never inhaled the pipe. One night, driving home from work my chest was hurting. Threw the pack of cigarettes out the window and haven't had one since. That was 1999. I generally smoke 2-4 pipes a day. I never have that feeling of need I did with cigarettes. I go visit my dad twice a year for four days each time. He is so anti tobacco I just leave

The pipe at home. The only thing I feel is angry at my dad's intolerance toward anyone who doesn't think precisely as he does. No issues with withdrawals. I've never looked back at cigarettes. I go to doctors, nobody has ever suggested I forego the pipe. Lungs clear. Life is good.

Mike S.

Yep, direct absorption in the lungs makes nicotine like a stimulant for me. I used to smoke cigarettes, when I was a smoker, to stay awake, long drives, work, late nights, etc... Now, as a pipe smoker, I use nicotine absorbed through the small blood vessels of the mouth to go to sleep. No inhaling, just slow... gentle... savoring of the smoke, and I end up just falling asleep in my chair. The nicotine is also way higher in pipes. I don't think that there are any cigarettes with as much nicotine as Cotton Boll Twist, and it sends me to a drooling coma.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
sends me to a drooling coma.
I like the sound of that :clap:

I never really crave a bowl and can go most days without smoking until late afternoon or evening. I don't ever crave cigarettes, smoked for over thirty years. I did love American cigs though, would have been much harder to quit if I lived down there.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
When I quit cigs early last year, I discovered what a small part nicotine plays in cigarette addiction. It's habit, psychology and a myriad of other chemicals that really get you hooked. For nicotine, I'll have a pinch of snuff if pressed for time or if the weather is horrendous, and pick up the pipe if I have the time and inclination to linger outside and let the mind float free. I'll even pick up a vaping stick occasionally. I can pick and choose from these without getting crippling cravings for more an hour later. Cigarettes are a whole different kind of animal, a vicious one that won't let go once it's fangs are in.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I used the pipe to quit cigarettes. They are a nasty beast. I still feel the call from time to time, but it has only been two years. The pipe is refreshing and feels good. I don't smoke some days, some days I have a single bowl. I go through phases where I will smoke 2 or 3 bowls a day for a week, and then the next week I don't feel like it. Cigarettes were never like that. Snuff is nice, and a very occasional cigar, but pipes are where it is at.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Different strokes I suppose. Pipes and cigarettes both have a place in my life style as chewing did when I was a loadmaster and on the flight line. Until the the surgeon releases my for full weight, I miss neither the nicotine nor the smoking experience. I'll find it interesting, next week, to sit down in my own home, my office, and smoke pipes or cigarettes and see if either or both still give me any satisfaction. Could be a "sea change" moment.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Obviously I still can not give completly up the cigarettes,and that is fact that ennoyes me, nevetheless the number of smoked cigs is reduced significatly, - no more that 5 per day, I need to be vigilant with this,think this is related with nicotine addiction and racked nervs ,hope in the future I wholely manage to get rid of cigarettes.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
5 a day ain't bad. For me it was really a matter of attitude. I tried quitting a few times because I felt like it was something that should do, but the problem was that I still really like smoking cigs, and when I quit I missed them and it was hard and I slipped back into it. When I did finally quit it was over night. I had some craving for a short while, but not enough to over come how grossed out I had become over the cigs. But I was in an environment where most of my co-workers were heavy smokers and it seemed like I was always immersed in cigs, and I had been up to 2+ packs a day for awhile. In my mind I had had enough, and quitting then was what I wanted, and therefore it was easy. After quitting I developed a disdain for cig smoke as I was still around a lot of it (this was the early '80's). That has changed as I am not around it much anymore, and I actually like the smell of some cigs when I am around someone is smoking, although I don't indulge. I feel for smokers; it's often hard indulging in any tobacco use nowadays. It's hard enough for me to slip in a pipe or two now when I am around other people. But I live in the late great Golden State.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Kane:Two pack a day its way over to what I was used to and , I smoked % 80 slow burning unfiltered Ryo(Kentucky leaf)cigarettes, yet another unfiltered factory made products like French Gauloise, Lucky Sticke,Camel Old Gold Sraight when and If available,yet U.S made cigarettes are much more tastier and better what we here in europe have(ours are lite and tasteless) Lately it seems me The State of Ca is very strickt place to lve when it comes to using tobacco products,yet personally I'real long for those days when you could been smoking where and when it happen please you,I recall it was so a wonderful experience,no confrontation no antitobacco talks from your coworkers ..

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
ohhhhh....Gauloise. I enjoyed those and Gitanes. I considered them the espresso of the cigarette world, and actually quite nice with an espresso after a good meal. Yea, here in CA it sure ain't the good old days any more. I remember what it like before the smoking bans. Things seemed to work pretty well back when there were smoking and non-smoking sections. Once the issue of people being subjected to second hand smoke in the workplace took hold things changed quickly.

Back to Gauloise and coffee: I love the scene in the film, "Wings of Desire", where Peter Faulk is smoking a cig and drinking a cup of coffee and telling the angel how good each one is, a cigarette and a cup of coffee. As far as European cigarettes go, the best cigarettes I ever had was a pack of Sobranie that someone brought back from England. I wonder if they still taste as good as I remember.

Cheers

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Kane: For your knowledge, no any cigarette produced with in EU region tastes no like back 20 year ago- they are as diluted

versions of those,and this is beacause of tar and nicotine contents were reduced in contemporary eu cigs, for instance, the U.S produced camels or marlboro are completly on different level to ours,and prices out there are assumabley some less, here a pack cost around $ 6

as a side note I tell you,I started with Gitanes and Gauloises when I was 13-then when these factory made got lighter and lighter due to repeated gov restrictions I jumped into Ryo cigarettes and smoked em exlucively during 20 + yer with on and off pipes and cigars, Then when reached my 50 ies thought its now or never to convert to pipes, although it was pretty hard a process, and believe or noit this very formum helped me a lot in this trublesome process,even if I had many pipes available already I did not know how to properly smoke 'em, but now do in greater or lesser degree, so this how the cookies gramble as you the amereican say, Skool, (Cheers) Paul

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
This link explains part of the reason
I wouldn't get my information from a hate group masquerading as charity...

I gave up cigarettes 3 months ago and find pipe smoking a more rewarding experience. Knowing now that more than half of the tobacco in a cigarette is actually junk (reconstituted sheet, expanded, chemicals and so on) - and this from Philip Morris' own video, not from some anti-smoking group's propaganda - makes it very improbable I'll ever smoke factory made cigarettes again.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
84: Not all cigarette brands are the same. Many do not use chemically infused papers. You need to widen your horizons if you want to try cigarettes again. Much like pipe blends some are better than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.