PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
And now I own it :D Should arrive here in Japan in about 2 weeks. Damn I cant wait!
I haven't mentioned this before, but I'm a HUGE Ehrlich fan. It's really just a hometown pride thing for me. I love the pipes, the history, and most of all the mystery that surrounds the David P. Ehrlich Company. There's not much info out there as far as dating these pipes is concerned. It's really a mix of that Masshole pride and the mystery that keeps me wanting more.
I'm not entirely sure when this one was made but I know that the Ehrlich company stopped producing pipes sometime in the late 70's - early 80's with George Bushee as its last pipe maker. I looked at catalog from 1968 that featured all if the pipes with the stand alone "E" stamped on the stem. Also, I could be wrong, but from what I've gathered I believe that the circled "E" was one of the earlier stamps that were used on the pipe stems which would put this pipe at well over 40 years old. Either way, it's in GREAT shape for its age! I'm thinking I've got a real gem here! If anyone knows more about this I would love to hear!
Here it is!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is that an acorn shape, would you say? It's one of the best looking I've seen, or a fine looking

pipe however you classify the shape. Nice grain and the tapered stem really goes with the

briar. It sure doesn't look its age. Nice catch!

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
WOW! Thanks for that Woodsroad! That was a very informative read! I actually have one of the Gift Meerschaum pipes as well. It's monogrammed with an amber stem and a gold band. I'm still seeing the stand alone "E" in most of the catalog. There are a few circled ones but the "E" does not appear to be the same one featured on the stem of this pipe. Hmm...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Doc, it is my understanding that the hand cut pipes bore the carver's initials (I have two Ehrlichs with "J.A." stamps). Other pipes were machine cut by outside suppliers. I'd post a message looking for Ehrlich info. There are folks here that know a lot more about them than I do.
Exceptional pipe, though. I would have outbid you, but I was down in the basement throwing out accumulated crap, and lost track of the time!

Dec 24, 2012
That is fantastic stuff. The Ehrlich brothers also owned a very famous tobacco shop called Leavitt and Peirce in Harvard Square in Cambridge MA. I used to hang out in L&P when I was in grad school there in the mid 90s. I recently went back and visited the area and paid a return visit to Leavitt and Peirce and the shop was precisely the same. It contains a large collection of tobacciana on permanent exhibit in the shop, much of which is from the Ehrlich shop and that connection. I wasn't into pipes when I was there in the mid 90s, but when I returned last fall I noted that L&P still sold bulk tobaccos under the Ehrlich name. I didn't try any though. Worth a visit if you are in the area.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Thanks peck. I'm fimiliar with the L&P store though I haven't had a chance to visit since I started smoking a few years ago but I'll certainly be paying a visit next time I'm on leave.

Dec 24, 2012
woodsroad - that catalog is a good read. I love the magnetized briar on page 13 - the bowl has a magnet built in it that allows you to stick the pipe to the dash while your are driving. Whodathunkit.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Agreed, that's a nice pipe. I love the shape, I have a few Grabows that are very similiar that I collect because of the shape.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats on a great addition to your collection. The grain is fantastic. There's something really satisfying about finding an exceptionally good example of a maker/mark that you actively collect. Happy smoke.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Damn nice ... I'd love to have been in a position to bid on that pipe ... I'd seen it had lusted after it, and even had it on a watch list in case it went low, but just didn't have the budget to chase it and bid against the prevailing bidder who turned out to be ... you ...
As it is, I'm glad it was a deserving guy like yourself who got this ...

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Thanks Steve! I was pretty surprised how much I ended up getting it for. I was nervous because I thought it was going to sell for MUCH more than what my max bid was.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
That's a great looking pipe with some exquisite briar. The majority of the "E" stamped pipes were made by companies other than Ehrlichs' own George Bushee. Any hand made pipes that George made were stamped with his initials GB on the shank. Most of the store brand pipes they sold came in different grades as the catalog will show and priced accordingly. You have a beauty there, and I'm sure it will smoke to your satisfaction. I used to visit their shop frequently and used to look forward to their St. Patrick's Day sale every year. To make it proper though, you should be smoking some DPE mixture in that baby. David P Ehrlich mixture is a fantastic burley blend with some latakia added and a very distinguished flavor. Nice grab on that beauty, enjoy.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I'm for any and all things Ehrlich. Where might one go about acquiring this tobacco? I've heard of it before, but I'm assuming the tobacco is tough to get a hold of nowadays. Do you think L&P might carry Ehrlich tobacco?

Dec 24, 2012
As I said above, when I was at L&P in October/13 they still sold Ehrlick tobaccos in bulk. I recall seeing the famous Judges' Mixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.