PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
So about a year and a half ago I left the world of aromatics and began smoking Virginias and VaPers. Friday I began the next evolution in my pipe smoking by ordering some plugs and rope. I should have an order of Jackknife, Triple Play, Wessex Gold plug, 3Ps, and some Irish Black Twist arriving in a week or two. Can't wait to find out which one is for me!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Big congrats! You may find, however, that you are eclectic in your tobacco preference. I have samples from all genres in my rotation.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
You may find, however, that you are eclectic in your tobacco preference

Hard to say, I tried a sample of Brown Bogie and while it made my lips and tongue a little tingly from the vitamin N I really enjoyed it.

Big thumbs up for 3P's

I've read great reviews on all the plugs I ordered so looking forward to trying them all. I'm looking forward to learning how to prep plug as rope is fairly straight forward and easy.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I'm looking forward to learning how to prep plug
Hack or gnaw off a slice and then prep to your preference. I use an antique slicer but my jackknifed works fine as well. Once you go through the plugs available here you must try the UK's plugs, Murray's Warrior Plug :worship:
win_20160531_210810-600x337.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I do love the plugs. They take time to prepare but the reward justifies the care. I bought an Ulu knife and cutting bowl for my plugs. makes life way easier.
OG9eVle.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Well I tried the coffee grinder method and what a complete bust that was. Just ended up with a bunch of super thin flakes...... Tomorrow I'll try shaving a flake.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I have had excellent luck preparing plugs with a double-blade guillotine cigar cutter. If you already have one, great. If not, I use a cheap, $5 one. Basically, start on a corner and cut off shavings of the plugs with the cigar cutter. Then rub out the little mini flakes and chunks. If you lose a corner to work at (eventually, the corners become rounded and the plug starts to look like a hockey puck), just use a knife and cut the plug in half and you'll have new, sharp corners.
Here is the smokingpipes.com video I learned from:
How to Prepare Plugs

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I feel a little sheepish as it had never occurred to me to start at the corner :oops:

I don't have a cigar cutter but I do have an abundance of really sharp knives to play with. I'll give "corner cutting" a try!!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I just use a pocket knife. You can slice it on a board or piece of paper, or pare it off while holding the plug and using your thumb. Once I have slices/flakes, I usually cube cut them -- easiest way to get a good pack and good light.

Status
Not open for further replies.