PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I've been pipe smoking infrequently for about 5 years or so. Before that, I'd infrequently smoke a cheap cigar or Backwood while camping, at a bonfire, on a nice fall hike, etc., mostly randomly. I've never smoked regularly, never touched a cigarette.
I've been slowly increasing, but still, I don't think I average more than 3-5 bowls a week or an absolute maximum of a bowl a day. My standard has been a rather mild tobacco (Reserve 1928), but I've decided it's time to branch out, try new things. I've done the standard Lane 1Q path, have it along with some RLP-6; they're both reasonably enjoyable, but seem thin or "empty". Likeable, but not my top choice.
I assume it's partially the Nicotine that gives a mild, relaxed, pensive feeling, but it's difficult to tell if it's chemical or just the pure enjoyment. I can skip days or weeks without thinking about it.
In branching out, trying various samples I've ordered, I've just hit McClelland #402 (Chocolate Creme), a rather lovely Va Cavendish blend. It's enjoyable enough to possibly compete with my favorite (1928) and warrant a bulk buy. But there's a catch in the back of my mind.
As I sit here sipping it from a cob with a generous bowl, this is not just a pensive feeling, but a whole body sensation. I'm sure this sounds silly to you seasoned smokers, but having no real context with which to compare, I can only assume this a full Nicotine buzz. *Very* relaxed physically, stomach going, "Hey there, what's going on?" just a little and maybe even a slightly raised pulse.
As I said, I've never had any issue putting down the pipe any time I want. After 44 years on this planet and the stupid things I've done in my time, I think the evidence bears out that I don't have a particularly addictive personality. But as I consider perhaps stocking up on this relatively stronger blend, I'm pondering if I *should* order it. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of getting "hooked", having seen friends and family members struggle to quit cigarettes. I know pipe smoking is *very* different, but it seems difficult to find balanced, objective information.
Realizing I'm on a pipe smoker's forum, I'm not looking to judge anyone nor am I trying to start a holy war. Rather, I very much enjoy sipping on a pipe, but don't want it to turn into a problem. I'd appreciate your thoughts or wisdom on this subject.
Many thanks...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Physically "hooked" and mentally "hooked" are two different possibilities. And, one can become both. You'll find out after a few months or years. Asking someone for a prediction as to your susceptibility is unfair to us. We can only speak to ourselves and our experiences and you can't really infer anything from that. You'll read all sorts of responses, some sincere, some not. You can sort through them, glean what you will but, you're the one taking the risk and will have to make your own decision.
And, if you are worried about the medical risks, there is plenty of material available for your research.
Risk v reward! But, again asking us to be complicit by offering advice, etc. leaves us or, at least me, partially responsibility for your choice. Some will encourage you to continue with the pipe others will urge caution and you'll still be on the horns of a dilemma.
My initial, not being facetious, response is, "Man up, shoulder the responsibility, do the research and make a decision."

May 4, 2015
I'm addicted. To pipes, cigarettes, chew, snuff and anything else I can get my hands on. I've made peace with it. That's pretty sincere. :lol:

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
To be clear, I'm not asking anyone to determine how susceptible I might be. Rather, what Nicotine feels like to you, do you feel pipe smoking carries the same potential to "hook" a person as cigarettes (short or long term), do you think the "hook" or craving is as strong?
I'm not asking anyone to make choices for me, that's my job. Rather, share experiences and information. I understand a fair number of people have switched from cigarettes to pipe smoking. Others have been smoking longer than I have been alive. They have context and experience I do not; I'm interested to hear it, objective or subjective.
I make my own decisions.
Thanks,

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
@Warren I started, "manning up" the day I quit shitting my pants and learned to use the big boy potty.
I'll leave it up to the reader to decide how many days ago that was...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Here's my experience; I've quit cigarettes twice for five years each time. I've never had the desire to quit pipes. I returned to cigarettes both times as I was working where pipes didn't "fit."
Nicotine can hook anyone whose system is susceptible to doing so. A pipe a week is probably safe, eight or more bowls a day and you are probably "hooked" either physically or mentally. Perhaps both! I'm hooked mentally, I'm have an oral fixation I suppose. A Tootsie Pop would probably satisfy my needs. I'm not a big fan of sweets though.
For what it's worth, apropos of nothing, one becomes potty trained to please one's mother or the nanny.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To be clear, I'm not asking anyone to determine how susceptible I might be. Rather, what Nicotine feels like to you, do you feel pipe smoking carries the same potential to "hook" a person as cigarettes (short or long term), do you think the "hook" or craving is as strong?
My experience suggests that cigs are more addictive than a pipe. The hook is more physical with cigs, perhaps more mental with my pipe.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm same way with jpmcwjr, I still do occasionally smoke some cigarettes,but today I find them rather boring than pleasing(these are only suitable for getting quick nicotine fix, but better than snus/dipping in that matter,whereas the use of chewing tobacco is totally different world.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got hooked on phonics once. Oh, pipes. I'm addicted to buying them, but not so much smoking them. More habit than need. Sometimes days pass before I smoke one.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Based on my personal experience Cigs are far far more addictive. Once you start smoking them regularly it's very difficult to quit and I couldn't go more than a few hours without smoking. With pipes I feel no physical addiction to nicotine. I can stop at any time and don't smoke for days at a time. For example I haven't smoked a pipe in the past 5 days but will tomorrow. I'm normally a bowl or two a day smoker.
You're thinking way too much into this. Smoking a stronger blend isn't going to change you.
Also if you ask me you need to branch out and try non aro's. That will be like taking the blinders off a horse.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
My two cents are everything in moderation.

The nicotine isn't as addictive as trying new blends and buying pipes.

As far as strong blends, I do enjoy a nicotine buzz when it happens, but I find it doesn't always happen even with the strongest blends. I was addicted to cigarettes for 15 years or so, and when I quit that and started getting into pipes I was a bit worried that it would lead back to cigarettes, but I have no problem taking a week off here and there with the pipe, and I will never go back to cigs.

In my opinion as long as you don't constantly inhale pipe tobacco and don't smoke every second of the day a physical nicotine addiction isn't going to happen, mental may be another story depending if you have an addictive personality.

Good luck with your decision.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Love my pipe addict! No, maybe!

Take snuff every evening and when I can't smoke

Like tobacco strong.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think mostly what makes cigarettes so addictive is the chemicals they put in them... and of course the instant nicotine rush one gets from inhaling directly into the lungs. Sure, nicotine can be addictive, but there are things much worse to be addicted to. As long as you don't have high blood pressure and are not inhaling your pipe smoke, I wouldn't worry about it. I've been a 4-6 bowl a day smoker for about 10 years now, and can and have skipped smoking for days with no negative effects whatsoever. But each person is different. Some people are addicted to certain things, while others not. But again, I can think of things much worse to be addicted to than pipe smoking. There is certainly nothing wrong with enjoying the nicotine buzz from pipe smoking.
And just to let you know, since I started pipe smoking 10 years ago, my mental and physical health have improved dramatically by allowing me to give up previous destructive behavior. So believe it or not, pipe smoking can have a positive effect on one's life.

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
Pipe smoking is a relaxation technique for me and somewhat of a release from reality and very day issues. I smoke 2 to 5 times a week, and then will take weeks off on end. I don't think I have encountered the addiction part yet, primarily due to my sporadic habit of smoking. My tobacco store owner I frequent often cites the benefits of pipe smoking as a relaxation technique, and occasionally cites some research on the topic. I'll listen more closely in the future and relay such information.
Greg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Of course your tobacconist does that. But, check his information out first. Read the citations, weigh the data, check the methodology. Getting one's health information from a tobacconist is akin to getting voter information from a politician or, going to your doctor for advice on how to remove a dent from your car.
You relax when you are not threatened or pressured by work or some such,. Reading a book, swimming, jogging, a nap, ice cream, a cigarette, pipes, sitting back in an easy chair, etc. will all provide relaxation if it sufficiently diverts one from his/her stressors. Some are free, healthy even.
If pipes motivate one to ignore the stressors, great! Just keep in mind, the pipe is but one of many tools one can choose from, not a mystic stress reliever in and of itself.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
I'd like to thank all of you who responded. Great advice. I certainly appreciate your feedback.
I think I'm fine if I just keep the sane pace I'm at. Still doesn't bug me in the least to set it down for a few days. Right now I'm sitting in the backyard, under the stars, dog by my side, a fire down to mild flames and embers, smoking some of the #402. Too enjoyable to worry about.
I'm sure to branch out, but I'm still in the learning phase. To be able to articulate what I do and don't like. No rushing it I suppose. It took time to learn the nuances of coffee and beers. I really hadn't smoked much aromatic tobacco until this latest round. 1928 has a little sweetness, but it's not an aro. In this latest round of 10 smaples, I really hit the jackpot with the McClelland 402. It has sweetness, but the flavor or room note never get cloying like 1Q does. Definitely going to buy a quantity of this.
Again, thanks.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A word of caution on stocking up when you're starting out.

Your palate will develop and change, so, stocking up can backfire.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I assume it's partially the Nicotine that gives a mild, relaxed, pensive feeling, but it's difficult to tell if it's chemical or just the pure enjoyment.
Trick question: it's both.
Unless you are extraordinarily addiction-prone, you should be fine smoking pipes. Cigarettes give quite a jolt, and this in my experience becomes addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.