PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I just wanted to give a suggestion for the new pipe smokers that have shown themselves lately.
I've tried several english (or latakia based) blends since taking the pipe back up again seriously in November.
They can be a kick in the palette, and if you're not used to it, you may be turned off to english blends at first should you try one that is particularly potent. But you'd be missing out if you gave up at that point, I think.
I just puffed Frog Morton "Across the Pond" for the first time, and I have to say it's the coolest smoking and mildest tasting english blend I've tried. It would be a good place to start.
Other good choices I can recommend, SPC Plum Pudding, justforhim.com's Shortcut to Mushrooms, P&C Spartan's English, and H&H Larry's Blend (listed in order of strength of taste from mild to stronger)

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
With latakia it seems like it can help to start light and work your way up. Of course, my first was Penzance. I kind of did that backwards. If someone is looking for an ultra light blend with latakia, there's also Walnut. It contains an ever so light dusting of the stuff.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Good advice here!

My first foray into latakia was with (perhaps considered a crossover) MacB Plumcake. Liking that, I next tried Frogmorton (not the OTT, not the OTB). That step, to me, was more like a leap. Too-much too-soon. I wound up sprinkling in carter hall to tame it. I found C&D Junkyard Dog was more within my potency tolerance. I don't know whether I will ever be ready for "full-english", but welcome all incremental "journey" recommendations.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gads,I don't even remember the first latakia blend I smoked - of course, it was 40+ years ago, so who knows. State Express London maybe - or Presbyterian.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I started on Esoterica Penzance, Dunhill London Mixture and Esoterica Margate. I loved the stuff right off the bat though.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
We should remember, too, the distinction between "full-flavored" and "strong". When I have encountered "strong" amongst experienced smokers and/or reviewers, they generally mean lots of nic. I haven't run into a lat blend yet that was strong like, say, Peterson's Irish Flake!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I agree with Jud. When someone says strong to me I assume it's in reference to the nicotine content. I have encountered a few strong Latakia blends but I am a bit of a nicotine wimp. I always found Dunhill Night Cap and Durbar to be rather strong. I can smoke Night Cap, but I do get the nicups towards the end of the bowl.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
My first foray into English blends was H&H Black House and I haven't looked back since!!!! :worship:
It was an epiphany pipe smoking moment for me.......

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I get the destinct impression (of course unverifiable) that it is generally the advanced smoker that sings the praises of strong (high-nic) as well as the full-flavored varieties. ("Advanced" includes former Cig. converts)
Whereas pipe novices frequently start with unflavored OTC or aromatics and either eventually branch into full-flavored, or stay milder with higher-quality Va. or VaPers. Does this myopic observation have a gist of validity?

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for the advise

Yes, i am not ready for english at the moment where i only bought Frag Mortan OTB tin and don't have the corage to open it.

Regards

Wasim

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
bobby46..... your observsation is generally considered correct but is often subject to much debate!!! Most new pipe smokers start with aros or OTC blends but they do not always branch out to English's etc....
I started out with H&H Trout Stream (aro) a little over a year ago and now probably smoke English blends 80-90% of the time but love an aro when the mood hits me.... :lol:

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Tobacco seems a very complex subject to me.

I can see that individual tastes vary greatly. Also the tastes of each smoker develops over time. I personally give less credence to formal tobacco reviews than I once did. It's tough to describe flavors. Right here at this site, there are as many lovers as haters of anything. I even find a different pipe on a different day yields different impressions for the same blend. I know that when I enjoy something, I want to share that with others,

but concensus will differ. I'm sure attendance at pipeist gatherings and swapping of samples would be a great help.
For now, I invest 10-$20 in a 50g tin to simply judge for myself. I'm sometimes aided by a familiar-blend-comparison here, or just choose by classification and listed ingredients on the label. So far, nothing has been wasted. There is always room for more favorites.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Durbar is very yummy stuff. I'm pretty sure they did not reintroduce it since the return of Dunhill. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.