PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I got some of this from a generous member here and I have to say, it's not a bad blend. But it is different than what I expected.

Please understand that I'm a bit stuffy from allergies, so my olfactory sense isn't quite up to par.
Anyway, the first quarter of the bowl had a distinctly savory nutty flavor with wisps of rose coming through. By the first half we'd settled into the savory nutty flavor with some burnt coffee flavor (this wasn't unpleasant) poking in now and then. The last half had a muted nutty flavor with a slight side-of-the-toungue spiciness to it. I'm going to smoke some more of this sample a few more pipes to see if the flavor profile changes any.
Any old-timers out there have any recollections of this blend?
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
That seems to be the general consensus amongst those who did smoke it back in the day... It was a good blend that most seemed to like but few remember the taste, at least until they smoke this version or something similar.
-Jason

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
I was extremely fortunate in that I was able to secure 3 Outers of the original Black and White Packs some years ago and have been very occasionally having a bowlful here and there. From what I have been told by some whom have smoked some of the recent blends that were similar, it would appear that whilst the 3 all come close, they are still a little way off the mark. I have some coming over to try as a comparison and I shall be intrigued to see how close the stand when being tried against the real mccoy.
I really hope and pray that one of them will be as good, I used to smoke very little but Balkan Sobranie and would love to return to those days.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have to say that I was not a sophisticated smoker when I smoked the BS back in the 70's and 80's. I dare say that the blend had changed over time; like many others.

With these new offerings I'm enjoying them for what they are; and they are fine blends and different from each other.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Well, the H&H Black House and McClelland Blue Mountain are far superior to this blend. BUT, this isn't supposed to be the BS 759 which those blends try to emulate, but just regular(?) Balkan Sobranie. It wasn't a bad smoke by any stretch, just not as good as the H&H and McClelland offerings. I don't expect to see much of this blend for a while, but once I can actually smoke more, I'll know how I feel about it.
-Jason

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Thank You for your review, I have been waiting for someone who has tried this blend to post the results, What Im am really hoping for is for someone who might be able to remember what the Sobranie white was like and be able to compare their past experience to the new smoking mixuture (if that is even possible). The reason being that some of my research is showing that a good number of smokers lament over how good and wonderful the old Sobranie Original Smoking Mixure and of course the Balkan Sobranie 759 were and actually compare a lot of other blends to these two. I just wanted to see if this was even going to measure up and to see if anyone can remember, Im just curious to the fact if the older versions were so great why did they stop making them, because if they were that good, nobody would be buying anything else. This (for me) will be interesting. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.