PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
If anyone is interested in a very well written article by a professional about "Pipe Brands vs How Well They Smoke" I have attached a link to the article;
The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking

By Dr. Fred Hanna, Ph.D

http://www.greatnorthernpipeclub.org/Myth.htm

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
My first couple of weeks as a pipe smoker were spent trying to find "the best pipe" because I assumed one brand would smoke better than another. Since then I have decided that aesthetically I tend to like Peterson's. However my two favorite smokers are an mm cob, and a pipe I got from crpntr1 called a "briarmeer". This thing is relatively small, lined with meerschaum, has a few cracks in the bowl...and is by far my favorite pipe.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Interesting article but this statement alone makes it less than a scientific approach its obviously approached with bias
"Thus, the smoking character of the Dunhill is a great place to begin our analysis. I will attempt to show that there is so much ambiguity around the character of a Dunhill and other brands that claims about brand specificity just do not wash."
A proper thesis would be stated something like, I plan to determine if there is any validity in claims that Dunhill pipes, or other high end pipes perform better than pipes of lower cost.
Interesting read none the less.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Does a rolex watch keep better time than a timex? The answer is no!! Rolex watches require scheduled maintence to keep the time...where as a timex does not. How do I know...because I have both. This is the same for pipes...it's a matter of status...or in laymans terms..I have more money than you do!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Based on my limited experience, plus what I've learned from others, I'd say it's not brand, but construction...and it's not the effect on taste, but performance.
The couple of higher end pipes I have are definitely superior in construction and performance than most of my lower to mid range pipes. BUT, I do have a few low to mid range pipes that do smoke just as well, or almost as well.
I think the difference is consistency. For example, if I were to acquire another Ashton or another Baki meer, I realize that there is no guarantee that it will turn out to be as good as the ones I have...but I believe the odds of that are very good. Whereas I have a couple of Savinellis that are wonderful smokers, but I also have a few that are mediocre. If I buy another, it may turn out to be great...but my perception is that it is more of a hit & miss prospect than the higher end or custom pipes.
I think the best route is to purchase as much quality as possible, while avoiding mark-up based only on brand name.
EDIT: Just wanted to add, my perceptions on this have changed with time and experience. For example, I used to think that Savinellis were about the best you could do in that price range...but after acquiring a Luciano and smoking it for a while, I would definitely recommend them over a Sav. The difference has nothing to do with brand name or price, but simply the quality of materials and construction.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Higher end pipes are generally made from better materials and possess a better engineering, fit and finish. The bits are generally more comfortable and and the bowls feel more balanced and just better in my hand.
The joy one feels from a well executed blast or a hand cut stem DOES add to the overall smoking experience.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I am no status seeker, but I am a perfection seeker. Like it or not, you are more likely to find better briar and better engineering in higher end pipes. I agree that it is a matter of consistency. No one is saying they are better than you because they smoke Dunhills and you smoke Savinellis. I know that I have abandoned the philosophy that I would rather have a rack full of average pipes than a handfull of high quality pipes and have focused my attention towards the higher end pipes in my recent pad searching. Am I doing so because I seeking a higher status than the pipe smoker next to me? Nay. I am doing so because I want every pipe to be as consistent as the one Dunhill in my collection and the Lasse Skovgaard/Benni Jorgensen in my collection as opposed to rolling the dice with the Stanwells, Petersons and Savinellis in my collection.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@ohin3: Very well said...I feel exactly the same way. I have gone through just such an evolution in my own pipe journey. I have a very different view on it all now than I did a while back...and I agree completely with everything you said.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
IMHO bigvan has hit the nail on the head. Quantity and quality of grain does make a difference, aesthetically and functionally.

From what I can tell, the best stummels find their way onto the workbenches of the best pipe makers.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
Interesting article. One comment, concerning the salutation of the author. It is quite odd to use both Dr. and Ph.D together at the same time. I would either write my name as Dr. Peter A. Roessle or Peter A. Roessle, Ph.D. Never both. This protocol is generally known amongst Ph.D s.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
He has a PhD in psychology, and was awarded the "Doctor of Pipes" designation at the 2010 Chicago show.

fred-hannah.jpg

Maybe the "Dr." part is a tongue-in-cheek nod to the award he received. I dunno. It doesn't square with the copyright date on the article.

BTW, he has a new book out, The Perfect Smoke.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Well the way I see it I would be just as happy puffing away on my mm cob working blisters into my hands as I would be setting in a huge expensive arm chair smoking a Dunhill. Sorry just a rangers humble opinion!

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I could care less what the name on a pipe is as long as I like it. That being said I would much rather have one made my a human than a machine.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Fred Hanna is a guy that loves to hear and discuss all aspects of pipe and tobacco pro and con. Many of his articles have stirred controversy and are a blast to read. I highly recommend getting his book and reading it so that you can get a real sense of where his views are concerning pipes, collections, tobaccos, etc. Then you can make your own judgements as to where you stand. The book is truly enlightening IMO.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
All this talk about fancy pipes has gotten me interested. I'm going to check out some of those that ohin3 mentioned. I also had the luck to share a bowl with Tim George of TRG from here in Texas. He does some very cool, all handmade pipes in several ranges. Check out his gallery. Very cool.
http://www.handcraftedpipes.com/
edit: added link. derp.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Great link, I say smoke what you like and can afford and to heck with what others smoke.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have many pipes now, if one smokes well, it gets used, if it doesn't smoke well, it goes in the storage racks.
I don't give 2 hoots an hallers what the name on it is. Although, I will admit, 4 of my best pipes are not cheap and they smoke wonderfully: comoy riband, comoy straus, Loewe, and Sven Lars freehand. So, I think there is validity in spending a bit more cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.