PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
Bob,

You amaze me, thank you for your dedication to our hobby. After considerable contemplation on the subject while smoking Greg Pease's Caravan in my BC bent billlard

( good tobacco and pipe to think with )I feel that a "Balkan Blend does not need to contain Latakia. Sorry Greg, Russ, and Craig, but I agree with Mary that the only thing a "Balkan Blend" needs is a majority of orientals from the Balkan region and what ever else the blender wants to add to be called a true "Balkan Blend". With that in mind maybe we willl see a "Balkan Virginia Blend" or maybe a "Balkan Cavandish Blend" or hevan forbid maybe a "Bulkan Burley Blend" in the future.

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Bob,
Great article! Though the mystery or at least the definite definition of a Balkan blend still seems to be in the eye of the beholder I certainly feel more educated on the topic. THANKS for your insight.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Kevin (and Bob) - tried to post this at the article, but alas, the Captcha doesn't seem to be working properly, would not post (although I see now that FF wants to update, perhaps its my end...)
Another wonderful article Bob; as a newbie to the world of pipe-smoking, it's insights like this that help me to develop the direction I wan't to take the hobby.
It's also refreshing to see that the master blenders seem to be just as much in agreement as the rest of us as to what constitutes a Balkan...I find myself in agreement with Mary McNiel's opinions personally (although that wont stop me from sampling Balkans from the other blenders in the article, of course!).

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
I also tried to post on the article... but same result as last time...does not seem to recognize the Captcha...as Schmitzbitz noted..

b.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It is working now. Also, it seems to have fixed the problem we were having with the spam filter on the blog comments. So now it seems that everything is working fine. But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Hey, I commented on the article before coming here... when can I expect the $100, Kevin? :lol: I didn't have any trouble with the captcha.
A great article. I loved it. There's a certain mystique about balkan blends, bringing to mind a different age. Great work in polling the "experts". Did they agree on a single answer? I don't think so. As I said in my comment, I like the McClelland definition best. If you're going to call yourself Balkan, orientals had better be front and center. I can get Latakia anywhere! :mrgreen:
Simon

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great article Bob! Informative and entertaining. Some of this tobacco terminology is like trying to define and interpret smoke signals (pun intended)…the original meaning tends to dissipate with time and distance.
Maybe next time you could clarify the difference between pastime and hobby. : ) :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.