PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
A few days ago I threw together a few bulks I never smoke any more, remnants and partials of stuff from the box pass. I stuck it in a jar and jokingly called it Miskatonic University Blend, since I've been reading H.P. Lovecraft. It is actually damn good! If only I could reproduce it. :(

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I have stated in similar discussions on this Forum that you must write down what you are mixing together and the ounces of each blend mixed. If you had done that, you could possibly replicate it. Still, you could attempt to if you have the gift of "recall". Such is life! I have made those mistakes as well. "Mixtures" are difficult because you are blending "finished blends". But, consider writing it down in the future just in case you actually really like it! That is how Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture came into being because it is a mixture of C&D finished blends. Craig Tarler of C&D taught me to write down such things because he has created now-famous "new blends" based on mixing intentionally or by mistake. In other words, always write it down because you will not remember what you did. There is always the chance that what you did could be something really special like CBPOG! The only reason that worked is because of an experiment. But, I followed Craig's advice and wrote it down. At the time that I did that I thought it was a waste of time. As it turned out, it has become as popular as my original CBB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I did recall approximations of the main components of the mess mixture. There were different brands involved so I seriously doubt I'll ever replicate it exactly. I am consulting an expert for advice, though, and perhaps something as good or better may emerge. For now It's not dead but dreaming.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've got the remnants of about 20 blends in a jar. Even if I had written them down it would be a challenge to replicate. I have not smoke any of it yet but it does small good. Oh well, someday. Meanwhile, I'll work on coming up with a name like "I Haven't A Clue What's In This Mixture".

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've always made it a point to avoid making mixed blends because I'm afraid of finding something I love that I can't get more of. I'm probably missing out on some interesting and fun smokes by doing so, but I guess I'm weird like that.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It all used to be in a jar labeled "Misc." If I didn't like it, I was going to write "Eldritch Horror" on the new label. Since I liked it, I just changed the C to a K and made it Miskatonic. I will probably do as hobie reccommended, leaving a few oz to age. I do believe I have the blending bug, though. If I make something good, expect shameless whoring.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Every home blender needs a digital scale and also needs to blend by weight in grams. This along with keeping notes makes it possible to replicate any blend/mixture.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, a digital scale is a very important part of experimental blending. It is possible to use the volume method using a shot glass for small amounts of experimentation. However, different tobaccos have different weights by measure due to moisture level. For that reason alone, I recommend a digital scale. You can get a really good one for $70.00 USD.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Lazydog,
No, of course not. No smoking in the plane or around it! Something about being in a sealed tube thousands of feet in the air makes for a dangerous spot to be in with a fire in the cockpit.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Well, I do have something good to report. My blending tobaccos arrived yesterday and I have actually come up with something decent! I have produced a nice natural blend using Black Cavendish, Burley, VA and just a little bit of Cyprian Latakia and Perique. It's smooth, dry, cool and so far has smoked well in a cob, a meerschaum and lately a briar. It seems to smoke the best in the briar and even though that particular briar is notorious for needing relights, it has consistently smoked down to ash! I plan to let my fellow Texans use me as a human dart board next Friday and if it gets enough approval, I will see about sending a few bowls to some lucky people to test. If not, back to the drawing board.
I also created a simple flavoring and am working on an aromatic version, more like the original. so far, though, I'm pretty satisfied with the natural version!

Status
Not open for further replies.