PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
From a Slashdot summary:
Smoking scars DNA in clear patterns, researchers reported Tuesday. Most of the damage fades over time, they found -- but not all of it. Their study of 16,000 people found that while most of the disease-causing genetic footprints left by smoking fade after five years if people quit, some appear to stay there forever. The marks are made in a process called methylation, which is an alteration of DNA that can inactivate a gene or change how it functions -- often causing cancer and other diseases. The team examined blood samples given by 16,000 people taking part in various studies going back to 1971. In all the studies, people have given blood samples and filled out questionnaires about smoking, diet, lifestyle and their health histories. They found smokers had a pattern of methylation changes affecting more than 7,000 genes, or one-third of known human genes. Many of the genes had known links to heart disease and cancers known to be caused by smoking. Among quitters, most of these changes reverted to the patterns seen in people who never smoked after about five years, the team reported in the American Heart Association journal Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics. But smoking-related changes in 19 genes, including the TIAM2 gene linked to lymphoma, lasted 30 years, the team found.
A few notes:
This is not my research.
I do not trust most research because of (1) the academic crutch of cherry-picking, or rationalized data; (2) support/funding only for popular ideas; (3) the following of tropes which has a hypnotic effect on a group; and (4) the use of narrow definitions to create false tests.
I do not speak for or against this research. It is presented here for your consideration.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Research also proves that no matter what you do, you will not get out of this life alive, actually it was Hank Williams, enjoy

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
We never "discover" anything. We simply put the finger on something that existed before. Here they are researching ways to hurt the smoking world. And maybe their research and findings are real. But maybe eating asparagus does the same, only nobody researched the effects of asparagus on the human DNA. So we will usually consider wrong things we sometimes simply don't know.
My next thought is about races evolution through years. What if monkeys some time ago had a research that told them "don't stand up, it's bad for you" Homo Erectus wouldn't have existed and ultimately neither would have Homo Sapiens. So... You know, things evolves because of other things influencing their DNA. We need to evolve. And usually, evolving from a reaction to bad condition has made a race more performant, more resistant. Continuously seeking the "safest" and "cleanest" just makes us weak, doesn't stimulate our immune system and we end up being an extinct species.
Just my 2cents

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
The problem is... Methylation is part of everyday life/aging. Many things affect methylation such as obesity, drug use such as aspirin and breathing clean vs polluted air. This is just be another article trying to paint a very broad brush over all tobacco. Most of these studies are always done with cigarette smokers (and always Heavy cigarette smokers) or in the lab. Hardly relevant to a pipe smoker that smokes moderately.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Carver, on human evolution, the apes (not the same as monkeys) which stood up didn't make the decision to do that, they were born with genetic changes which altered their anatomy. Likewise, some humans today have genes which make them more resilient to the so-called dangerous effects of smoking.
I'm probably not one of those humans with better tobacco-resilient genes, being that my father, after 50 years of smoking 2 packs/day with heavy drinking is severely impaired by emphysema. Of course it could have been the alcohol as much as the cigarettes, and then they were cigarettes, which you inhale. These studies invariably ignore the fact that most pipe smokers don't inhale, therefore I'm not worried that I made this a regular habit beginning in my 40's - something else is sure to kill me before tobacco does!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other things that have been shown to cause methylation are income tax preparation at home or with a tax preparers, visiting the Department of Motor Vehicles in most states, bailing your kid out of the drunk tank...research to be published soon. Well, fairly soon.

Jun 4, 2014
Pagan, When I saw your reference to Hank Williams it reminded me I had not heard that song in along while.
"No matter how I struggle or strive. I'll never get out of this world alive."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
We need to evolve.
Everyone should smoke constantly from birth onward. Those without resistance will die off and not breed, leaving only the strong.
We are the supermen!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Just last weekend, I got SOOOOO Methylated ... or was that Ethylated?? :mrgreen:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Ooooooo! I wanna get methylethylated too!!! Then I will be extinctificaterized the next morning!!! WEEEEEEEEE! :D

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
So, they just discover that if you have a tendency to get cancer. Smoking will trigger it? Find of the century :/

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There is always money in selling fear, but little money in "do what you want, but get enough exercise and spend more time outdoors." Heh!

Status
Not open for further replies.