PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
My intent is to actually be helpful here and help people make decisions with limited money to spend on tobacco and limited bowls per day to load, so if I mention a tobacco you really like, take no offense or assume I am accusing you of 'jumping on a band wagon'. Human Nature is what it is, and there is, by virtue of that Nature, some of that undue band wagon jumping going on at places like the tobacco review site. I'll start with 3, including a snippet as to why I think them overrated:
1. Samuel Gawaith FVF. This, to me, is a positively boring smoke. Incredibly boring and monochromatic in flavor. There are times when I enjoy an uncomplicated smoke, but this is beyond uncomplicated. Yea, it is a good, quality tobacco (in a world of many good, quality tobaccos), but in the world of Virginia Flakes, this one is so damn boring that it ain't worth the bother, nor concern of its difficulty for many to find (my tobacconist stocks it). No doubt, part of the 'allure' is the charm of it coming from Gawaith and it being made (at least until relatively recently, if not still) on equipment from the 1700's in the 'Heart of English Lakeland'. Charming, but, I don't smoke antiquated manufacturing equipment listed on the British Historical Stuff List. I smoke tobacco. But, not this one, as it is BOOOOORING as hell and contains nothing that cannot be found in other flakes. Flakes with far more personality.
2. Escudo. Yes, a very good VaPer. But, since Dunhill DNR has everything Escudo has, plus a little extra in the sweetness department, I don't know how Escudo obtained the title 'VaPer by which all other VaPers are to be judged'. And those two are far from the only exemplary examples of a Vaper. I think a little internet hype and tobacco review snowballs helped, as well as the novelty of the coin cut.
3. Royal Yacht. This is a Faux-VaPer. A Virginia based tobacco that is Viriginia based and not exclusively Va in order to add that little 'spice' RY has. The light plum topping is the crowing piece to achieve the VaPer like effect of this tobacco. Skip this and just get a real VaPer. Or GL Pease Cairo, which I consider to be RY on steroids, including in the Nic department. Additionally, this, to me, is waaaay overrated on its nic hit. Medium, at best, for me.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Look out...you might get eaten alive on here with those words. I will say I think McClleland English blends are overrated. They're cut poorly and are impossible to dry out. This is my personal experience with them, so of course others may have totally different experiences. Also, I feel the same about Dunhill blends, which is why I'm trading most of mine away.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Too subjective and quite honestly you're doing nobody any favors. Tobacco is different to everyone because of a bunch of variables. As an example, I love Escudo and FVF, but I hate Cairo and Royal Yacht.
Besides, being overrated to you, doesn't make it overrated. It's again, your standard.
But, I wish you well.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There's at least one member here who I'm pretty sure would argue that Royal Yacht is the most underrated.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I love Escudo, but DDNR just doesnt do it for me. Love FVF as well, when Im im the mood for a straight VA Ill reach for it more than the others I have stocked up. I havnt tried The Yacht so I cant subject an opinion toward it. All of our taste buds are different, and for that Im glad. Without those differences we wouldn't have all of these great blends at our disposal.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I must be cranky tonight. Your posts just hit me wrong. I find it a bit of an overreach for you come on here to authoritatively critique 3 extremely popular tobaccos... well 2 and yacht.
I have erased about 3 really cutting retorts to this, but in the interest of peace I will just leave this:
You are pretty new here. Take some time and build some rapport before bombing in here with completely subjective editorials.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This is silly. To me Escudo is the VaPer that the others wish they were. I don't care for FVF but love 1792. And I don't like Royall Yacht at all. Having said all that it's the reason we have lots of tobaccos. Different strokes for different folks.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
The difference in all of the replies really illuminates the fact that taste is subjective. Personally I've had neither of the tobaccos in question :puffy:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Screen-shot-2012-09-07-at-3.21.39-PM.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Different strokes for different folks. A more accurate title would have been One Person's Opinion. The first time I smoked FVF I thought it was the single most boring blend I'd ever tried. My comment was that it tasted like a stable after the horse had got done pissing in it. Turns out it wasn't the tobacco, it was me. I was unfamiliar with the soggy Gawith moisture levels, and after a friendly face here advised me to let it dry for an extended period, I gave it another go. The difference was like night and day. This flake had a very nice array of flavors from the various Virginias in the blend. Sometimes it's not the tobacco, it's the smoker and their limited knowledge of prep and moisture for various blends. And given that so many blends have their adherents and detractors, it's clearly not the tobacco that's the issue. Different strokes for different folks.
I also like Escudo, and I like it fresh as well as aged. But aged satisfies me more, and I like the Peterson product better than the STG product. Hell, I like the Peterson product better than Cope's. So the other factor is who made what you're smoking. Sometimes one manufacturer does a better job than another. Their component sources are different, they have a different blender overseeing production. And again, each version has its adherents and its detractors. Different strokes for different folks.
I don't smoke Royal Yacht, so no comment here except that it didn't appeal to me overmuch when I smoked it. But I may find that a few years in the tin improves it in some way, So I've put away a few tins to age and to see what happens.
Unobtanium has its own allure, and many blends get mythic status because they're nearly impossible to find, or horrendously expensive to obtain. That's a different matter, the Psychology of Scarcity, and it tends to warp perspective because other elements enter into the smoker's evaluation of the quality of the smoke that have little to do with the blend in question.
In any event, one person's opinion is all this is. And that's my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Taste is too subjective. I prefer Aylesbury Luxury Flake to FVF, LBF to Escudo, and just can't tolerate Royal Yacht. More of a palate for Erinmore. Have tried a lot of the unicorns, and find that most of the blends that I actually enjoy are very readily available.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Never tried FVF but I know Escudo and Royal Yacht well enough. Not that I smoke either of them: I'm not all that fond of perique as I find the 'peppery' nature of it just a little bit unpleasant. But that's just me. One man's meat is another man's poison, as the saying goes.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It really is a matter of 'what floats your boat' when it comes to pipe tobacco. I am well known for my never changing diet of Black Twist and Condor Plug with the occasional Warrior Plug thrown in for a little variety. I don't think I would ever smoke anything else and so far in 30+ years I have not but thats not to say I am not open to trying thing. I trade stuff with my dear friend Weezell all the time but thats because he has similar tastes to my own. As is often remarked.....one mans meat is another poison!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The idea of over rated tobacco blends is your opinion. That's what tobacco reviews are for, and OH!
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My PERSONAL opinion is that I don't like any of the 3 blends in the original post. That being said, in MY Opinion, the most over rated tobacco has to be Mixture 79 Cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.