PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhcongos

Lurker
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder who has the most beautiful pipe in the world? Many of us may may think we have it but what would be the criteria if there were such an award? Who would do the judging? Maybe it is a category with more than one pipe? Just wondering. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Would be a pretty hard one to judge. One mans idea of beautiful is another man's mediocre. If there was a competition for this i'm sure there would be a few different categories especially as a pipe may look beautiful but may be a terrible smoke and vice versa.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I think this would be as difficult to judge as picking the "Most Beautiful Woman in the World" and having everyone agree with the decision. So....let's proceed with the competition, but we'll agree to disagree.... :D

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
About a year ago there was a pipe that came up on eBay that was touted as the most perfect pipe ever made. I think is was either a GBD or a Kaywoodie, and it sold for many thousands. IMO it had a rather gaudy shape, but the straight grain and finish were stunning. It was a fairly large pipe too. Maybe somebody remembers it or even has a picture.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Hmm, I'd like to see a picture of that pipe. I'll have to look for it upon getting to my actual computer instead of my poor little Palm Centro.

On topic: I think most pipes are the most beautiful in the world! Also, welcome to the forums!

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
I doubt too many would agree with my choice- but I'd nominate a black bamboo kiseru with silver bit and bowl, perhaps engraved with a Buddhist sutta or something else decorative -- and preferably it would have some signs of age but not too much.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
All a matter of the eye of the beholder. To me the most beautiful pipe is a ragged nearly burned out baby Wellington that belonged to my Dad.

scrantonpipes16

Might Stick Around
Nov 28, 2010
I have seen so many nice pipes but, I would wonder about the quality of the briar matter and or the size of the pipe, possible way to categorize this most beautiful pipe competition.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
When it comes to beauty, it's hard to beat meerschaums done by

some of the master carvers. Just my 2 cents.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Since its accepted we'll never come to an agreement, for the sake of the topic..i would have to go with a lightly rusticated bent rhodesian, nice rim with the bowl beveled right at the top where it begins to meet the rim. A squared shank met with a Black saddle bit stem with a nice inlay..i always thought that the inlay logos of companies gave pipes a great charm, and adds alot to the look. Also a nice grain, with a mid-tone brown stain. I always liked the two grooves in bulldogs..so those would be nessicary too. The upper segment of the bowl would be a bit mellow, not too steep, not too squished either.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
My pick would be a Bulldog with gold and silver metal work on the rim of the bowl and stem, curvacious Celtic style scroll work on the metal, an Amber mouthpiece and a very lightly stained birdseye grain with a smooth finish.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Another thing about being the most beautiful pipe, it might not be the most comfortable pipe to smoke. I have some pipes that I won't take out of the house for fear of them getting broken or damaged in some other way. The ones I really like to smoke the most are not the most beautiful. But in another sense they are beautiful because I like the comfortable way they smoke. I guess beauty is in the eye(or the mouth or the hand) of the beholder(or holder). lol

Status
Not open for further replies.