PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I joined Forums a few years ago, I thought I had a pretty good general knowledge of pipes and tobacco, not a professional knowledge, but a fair breadth of general information. Over the years, the more I learn the less I know. When you really dig into the history of pipes, various brands and from different countries, the wider the subject becomes. Likewise, tobaccos are a life study in themselves, from farming, to curing, to processing, to blending and beyond. I guess it's like any subject. When you start out, you have a sort of adolescent confidence in what you pick up quickly and you feel you have command of something. Then you begin to learn what all you don't know, and the horizon reaches on forever.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
As you move up the academic ladder you learn more and more about less and less until you earn your doctorate and know every thing about nothing. As in peck. Shel

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The more I know concerning the less I know, the more I know about the more I know about the less I thought I knew.

When you don"t know anything, you don"t realize how much there is not to know. Then as you learn a little, you think, "Wow, I know so much." Until you learn a lot more, and then realize, "Hmmm, there's more to all of this than I realized." Then when you truly know the most, you realize that there's just no way to know it all, and then you just enjoy it, without worry. :puffy: The wisest men realize that they could care less in knowing it all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are several schools of developmental psychology (and philosopy and theology) that posit steps in progress toward realized adulthood, various stages of completion from chaos to responsible, enlightened humanity that only a few attain. I'd propose a counterpoint to that, that we begin with a remarkable capability of sensory, physical, and intellectual equipment, and trade off as we go along to attain other skills and abilities, giving up some and attaining others as we go along. Hence kids can have some penetrating insights not available to most or any adults, and give up these abilities as they become more reasonable. You have to be a pretty smart trader or you end up with less than you had as a child. Neither model satisfies me entirely, but mine makes some sense and explains certain aspects of the life cycle. Children, for example, often have a much more flexible and innate feel for community, making friends, soliciting participation, than adults who have been bruised and would rather be left alone.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Over the years, the more I learn the less I know. When you really dig into the history of pipes, various brands and from different countries, the wider the subject becomes.
Amen brother

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have a great thirst for learning and have numerous hobbies...of which pipesmoking is not one. Take a pipe, stuff some tobacco in it, light it, smoke it. If the blend tastes good, keep smoking it. If not, flush it down the toilet and try something else. That's pretty much all I've needed to know to sustain the habit for 40 years.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds like Socrates.
It is better to never be bored. That is why all disciplines have infinite depth.
Enjoy the journey!

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Burt Reynolds told Sally Fields in Smokey and The Bandit That where you're standing determines how smart you are.Meaning that a smart person is adjusted to his environment.I feel that I'm not anymore.This high tech world is leaving me behind.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
the circle represents what I know and what I don't know.

its area is what I know, but its circumference represents the boundary of my ignorance.

so a larger circle means I know more than before and that I've discovered I still have a lot to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.