Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have read the 56 short stories of the Sherlock Holmes cannon many times but this is the first time that I have read through them since I have started smoking a pipe. I decided that rather than just watching out for pipe references, I would make some notes of where pipes appear in the stories. I thought that this would be interesting.
The first installment of my notes are here: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The second 12 stories (13-24) were published individually in the Strand magazine in 1892 and 1893 and then collected together in "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" in 1894. Here are my notes:
Silver Blaze

-“charging and recharging his pipe with the strongest black tobacco”

-“an ADP brier-root pipe, a pouch of sealskin with half an ounce of long-cut Cavendish” (in the pocket of the dead man)
The Adventure of the Cardboard Box

-“The box is a half-pound box of honeydew tobacco” (box used by the murderer)
The Yellow Face

-“A nice old brier with a good long stem of what the tobacconists call amber. I wonder how many real amber mouthpieces there are in London?.....Well, I should put the original cost of the pipe at seven and sixpence. Now it has, you see, been twice mended, once in the wooden stem and once in the amber. Each of these mends, done, as you observe, with silver bands, must have cost more than the pipe did originally. The man must value the pipe highly when he prefers to patch it up rather than buy a new one with the same money…….”You think a man must be well-to-do if he smokes a seven-shilling pipe?” said I. “This is Grosvenor mixture at eightpence an ounce,” Holmes answered, knocking a little out on his palm. “As he might get an excellent smoke for half the price, he has no need to practice economy.” ”
The Stock-broker’s Clerk

X
The “Gloria Scott”

-“Then he lit his pipe and sat for some time smoking”
The Musgrave Ritual

-“his tobacco in the toe end of a Persian slipper”
The Reigate Puzzle

-“Mr. Alec was smoking a pipe in his dressing gown.”

-“I was smoking in my dressing room.”
The Crooked Man

-“I was seated by my own hearth smoking a last pipe and nodding over a novel,…..was knocking out the ashes of my pipe” (Watson)

-“You still smoke the Arcadia mixture of your bachelor days, then! There’s no mistaking that fluffy ash upon your coat.”

-“I handed him my pouch, and he seated himself opposite to me and smoked for some time in silence.”

-“Having gathered these facts, Watson, I smoked several pipes over them, trying to separate those which were crucial from others which were merely incidental.”
The Resident Patient

-“Sherlock Holmes sat down and lit his pipe.”

-“and his smoke had curled up more thickly from his pipe to emphasize each curious episode in the doctor’s tale.”
The Greek Interpreter

X
The Naval Treaty

-“Watson. You will find tobacco in the Persian slipper.”

-“Then he rose, lit his pipe, and settled himself down into his chair.”
The Final Problem

X
In these second 12 we see Cavendish and Honeydew and two appearances of the Persian slipper. Here is a picture from the original publication of The Naval Treaty from Strand in 1893:

serlock-naval-2.jpg

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks again, stanlaurel.
As a Holmes nut, I wish I had documented like this instead of "trying to remember" the references.
Here's a question for you, though. Were Arcadia and/or Honeydew ever actual brands? I know they are both currently marked by McClelland as part of their 221b series, but were they ever "real" brands or just created by Doyle?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
That's an excellent question Rob, but I have no idea. Are you going to research it for us?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Watched "Mr. Holmes" starring Ian Mckllem last weekend.
Nice movie and McKellen did a fine job, but the screen play totally wrecks all the stereotypes we have come to know and love! Hats, pipes, and other things. After playing all those off to his writer (explained by the actor to others as the move progresses) I was miffed up to losing the pipe after that I lost it. How does a screen writer feel good about wrecking the character of so many popular books and movies? It did not even ad to the movie other than to be somewhat elitist about the issues. :evil:
Robert Downing JR. did such an excellent job of the recent Holmes releases! I purchased them both. I loved the screen play and characters immensely :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.