Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

The Meer Goes Pop

(28 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Received my first meerschaum pipe at Christmas, a Servi Meerschaum lattice. Smoked absolutely wonderful, dry, and cool. Was enjoying a bowl of Stonehaven in it on New Years Eve when I felt and heard a small pop. Much to my dismay, there was a noticeable web of cracks down both the shank and around the bowl. I plan to bring this to the B&M and see what they'll recommend (I've been a customer for 22 years).

I have two questions:
    1. Is there any way to repair this?
    2. Is this not uncommon with meerschaum pipes, or did I get a fluke?

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

My brother bought a Meer off of eBay, very nice looking bearded man. The pipe smoked fine for the first 3 bowls then cracked/broke at the shank during another smoke. My guess is it was pressed meerschaum and not a solid block, and he probably smoked too fast and made that bowl hotter than Hades. Regardless, I don't think it should ever happen, but I don't have a ton of experience either.

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pics please...

"the weez"...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.

There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,
    LINK to that thread

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Just took it out of the case, and while the cracks aren't as wide they are still evident.

I'm not the best photographer, but here goes:
    1. back of bowl, begins in center at rim and extends downward

2. Top of shank

3. Bottom of pipe, then crack goes up front of pipe and spider webs across (no photo of that)

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hard to see, but it looks like the crack travels from the rim all the way down to the shank. And to the left of that looks like a wider crack. Was it extremely cold where you were smoking? Were you smoking it too fast and hot? I don't see how that can be repaired, but perhaps one of the meerschaum experts might have a solution.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To your knowledge has it ever been dropped either in the case or out?

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, so now you have a crack pipe.

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or a meth of a pipe

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Haha, crack pipe!!

I never dropped it, but it came from B&M and had been in the display case a while (several months).

I was sitting on the couch on New Years Eve, not cold (near the wood stove). Nor was it smoking hot, rather cool to the touch.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was sitting on the couch on New Years Eve, not cold (near the wood stove). Nor was it smoking hot, rather cool to the touch.
    That confirms my suspicion. Pipezeus, the god of pipes and sad puppies (he likes sad puppies), smote your pipe with a lightning bolt from his arse. That's the only possible explanation.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. upnorth1

upnorth1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That really sucks! It does make you wonder if it was ever dropped and just needed a coax to crack open. I wonder what else could effect length and placement of the crack like that?

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That should definitely not happen, and either you were smoking it to hot, or its possible it got damaged in shipping and/or was dropped. Were you by chance smoking the pipe outside in really cold temps?

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I saw a YouTube video of a guy carving a raw block of meerschaum, and in the commentary it was mentioned that the carver needed to find and work around internal flaws -- which makes carving a large block challenging.

I bought a Tekin meer from SP.com that, on the 2nd or 3rd bowl, started to develop a hairline crack on the rim. SP.com accepted the return and gave me a store credit for the purchase price.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Upon reflection, I rued the decision to return the pipe, because it might have "hung together" long enough to color like this Baki pipe:

You just never know what Mother Nature will do...

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about your pipe.My only thought was you were smoking when it was cold or smoked too fast and too hot.You have stated that you did neither,so It is a mystery now. BTW Nice photo cortez!

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  17. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

It's my understanding that the pipe in the picture is from Baki's personal collection.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I missed the comment where you stated you were inside and not smoking hot. It could have just been a flaw in the meerschaum that developed after the pipe reached a certain temp. If your B&M shop won't accept a return then try contacting the Meerschaum Market. Servi is a owner/operator of the Meerschaum Market website and he's a very nice guy. Though the pipe may not have been purchased from him, since it is a pipe he carved; he may offer to assist you in exchanging the pipe. Worst case scenario is he declines to offer assistance. Good luck!

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

The one meer I've carved from a solid block was flawless- until I took it and dipped it into hot beeswax to finish it without preheating it first. The thermal shock caused a minor crack in the bowl...and now it's my favorite shop pipe. Hopefully one of the guys who deals with meers all the time will weigh in on this post- it doesn't seem normal that a finished pipe should crack that severely just from smoking it....

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipezeus, the god of pipes and sad puppies (he likes sad puppies), smote your pipe with a lightning bolt f

Well, the boy's been at the cleaning fluid again. Then again, that explanation is as good as any other, so who am I to say? [hic] Pass the jug again, anthony, & stop hogging it all the time.

Seriously, that really is a shame, & A Xmas pipe to boot. Wish I could offer more than sympathy, but I think the good advice above will hopefully work. Reminds me I've been incredibly lucky with my meers, knock wood.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I'm heading to B&M this afternoon, and will follow up.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it's a Servi, it's carved from block meerschaum. As suggested above, contact Servi and Meerschaum Market and ask for his advice. Include where you bought it in the email.

I have two of his meerschaums and they are both very good smokers.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  23. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

a bowl of Stonehaven in it

There's the answer.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 7 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Local shop is returning the pipe to distributor, who is replacing it with Servi of similar design. Should have it in 10 days or so.

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ ...

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That is good customer service.

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Good outcome

And what seemed to me to be the only outcome fair to the buyer. The buyer is a long time pipesmoker. He smoked a pipe and it cracked after little use. The fault is in the pipe.
    ( I have been in situations- not related to pipesmoking - where neither the retailer nor the manufacturer offered a me a solution to a fault with a product that they caused. The dollar amount involved didn’t justify my hiring an attorney to pursue two out of state companies- so I ended up totally on the short end.)

Please let us know how things work out with the replacement pipe.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 7 months ago #
  28. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So few pipes implode. That's the good part.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   unkleyoda, bluegrassbrian, ben88, newportpipe, danimalia, agnosticpipe, docrameous, cowboythunder, jiminks