The Making of a Gabrieli Bulldog (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I first saw Dan Chlebove's work on this site about 9 months ago. Since then, I've been lucky enough to own two of Dan's pipes - a beautiful cutty and a stunning stack dublin (50th birthday pipe) - and I've seen his profile rise. A thread started by John (papipeguy) showed off a bulldog that Dan was making for him; I had to have one. That was September, so Christmas was just around the corner(!) and I knew what I wanted from Santa. Via Dan Chlebove.
In late October, Dan sent me a pic of the briar block he wanted to use for my bulldog and we were off! Look at the grain on this baby -
CAeOmaAl.jpg

All went a bit quiet and then the pics came flying in. Dan has worked his magic to produce another masterpiece, stage by stage -
JCBFFlIl.jpg

wTFW6Mal.jpg

Rv0RD4bl.jpg

AhgdPPHl.jpg

YFwimOzl.jpg

ndHwxcjl.jpg

The keel has been cut and the sturdy yet graceful shapes of a classic bulldog are emerging. I'll post more as they come.
However, the best image for me is this one of Dan working on my pipe. It captures the pipe-maker at work, the craftsman putting in the patient care and effort that results in the friend we treasure for years to come -
NhWJTm9l.jpg

Andy

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks guys.
Allan - I haven't chosen a stain and won't. I hope Dan leaves her natural/light to contrast the black palm and black stem, but I trust Dans judgement.
Andy

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It is a thrill to watch your pipe "come alive" isn't it, Andy. FWIW, Dan has measured my Dublin 4 times to make sure yours is perfect. :lol:

May 31, 2012
Wow!
That's gonna be one seriously beautiful pipe.
Love seeing the progress pictures,

thanks for sharing!
Lucky duck, you!
:puffy:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Is the spotted material the black palm, banjo was addressing, or the rings or both? Beautiful.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Sorry for the delay in posting the updated pictures of Dan's work on my pipe - unfortunately I've been flat out on a deal and have just closed, so only now coming up for air.
These pics are after just 320 grit paper with brown tripoli compound and a buff wheel. There's still a few grits to go and a few more compounds and buffing before the wax. At least, that's what Dan told me when I asked - I really don't have a Scooby about these things!
Anyway...look at the grain on this beautiful girl!
Zvls2XXl.jpg

lLDzqWnl.jpg

2nYCY0Hl.jpg

ghxpOQwl.jpg

1rSZB11l.jpg

Andy

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
...And so to the stain. Dan made an Executive Decision to use a light stain to enhance the grain (I left him no choice after totally abdicating any role in the process!) - so we had this:
3nBbART.jpg

zI0AkLq.jpg

The next pics are the lady almost there, with the excess stain wiped off with alcohol, sanded in higher grits to 4000 and ready for the 'brightening' stain:
TyP44Wr.jpg

SsM4J4L.jpg

4sK9336.jpg

AgjduvP.jpg

Nearly there...
Andy

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
And she's finished! Dan has done a simply wonderful job and produced a beautiful pipe, despite numerous other commissions and a personal tragedy last week. I can't wait for this stunning Gabrieli bulldog to make the trip over the pond. Thank you Dan!
vIjIeFe.jpg

dNe10QR.jpg

ZqA80Rw.jpg

wfi8YTn.jpg

WIiI7B9.jpg

n4CbGL8.jpg

awUnmKF.jpg

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.