PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I got this diminutive souvenir from eBay (about three inches high), originally from Denmark, based on Hans Christian Anderson's story (torn to pieces by Disney) and now have it displayed on my pipe rack table. Considering all the Danish pipes I own, I thought it was an appropriate addition.
s-l16006-571x600.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice piece Fred. Should fit nicely with the rest of the decorum. :puffy:

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Although I do not doubt the authenticity, the original statue in the harbor at Copenhagen faces the other direction. Not sure what that means but I love the sentiment of having a Danish pipe collection and the Little Mermaid with it. Nice touch!

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I thought this post was about the Disney movie (which features a calabash!). Nice ornament!
Torn to pieces? Come on...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
First, if you could look at the statue a bit more closely (which I grant is difficult,but it duplicates the Denmark statue, the feet are flattened out in mid transformation). Second, in the original story, the mermaid fails to win her human love and dies, but dies with a soul. I don't think that happens in the Disney version, does it?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
First, if you could look at the statue a bit more closely (which I grant is difficult) but it duplicate the Denmark statue, the feet are flattened out in mid transformation. Second, in the original story, the mermaid fails to win her human love and dies, but dies with a soul. I don't think that happens in the Disney version, does it?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Apologies on last line on above post--it looks, on re-reading, a little sarcastic. Wasn't meant to be, the question was genuine.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
She becomes foam in the original, and in the Disney adaptation she gets a happy ending. They're different, one did not ruin the other. Just as some enjoy Sherlock on TV while others still play the Sherlockian game. :)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Good point. I love the new Downey Holmes, but hardcore Holmes fans can't abide the reworked Sherlock.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I prefer the Holmes on either of the TV versions of Sherlock Holmes over the Downy version.

Status
Not open for further replies.