PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Someone recently said that “bowl coatings” were such a hot topic of debate that to not even go there. But here I am, again inexorably drawn back to the topic by teeming contradictions of misunderstand. Now, IMO, you can damn well coat your bowl with whatever you want, so long as it works for you (even if it doesn't), no harm no foul as you will be the one living with the results. I even recently experimented with coating a bowl with what was essentially "cactus nectar." (a sugar) It worked great.
But it seems to me that the reason for all the dissent (or whatever it is), is a lack of facts. Presented with some facts, in the light of that, what is there left to argue but personal preference, and why should personal taste ever be a matter of disagreement? Life is ABOUT personal choices! But some things are just a matter of fact or fiction. A few simple facts:
On another recent thread it was argued that carbon was both a much better conductor of heat than briar and also was much more porous, and that this was hard science. Well, I'm a scientist, and that statement makes no sense, as the properties of carbon vary widely with the state it is in. Statements were made about graphite, one of three basic common states of carbon in order to support the argument about bowl coatings, but graphite is a crystalline carbon (granular or clumpy in nature). Your lead pencil is graphite pressed into a rod with a binder to help hold its shape.
Depending on its state, carbon as graphite is one of the softest materials known; in another state as diamond, it is the hardest naturally occurring substance. Depending on the state, both the electrical and thermal properties vary widely, so making a blanket statement about the efficacy of carbon being a better thermal conductor than wood is a vacuous one unless you define the point and conditions.
But let us look at it a better way: take graphite powder then take some sawdust--- both powders. Which will burn first and fastest? Which would you want covering your hand to protect you from a torch? Carbon has a higher oxidization/melting point than tungsten. The conductivity of moist wood was quoted, but again, water is a very good insulator! Look at your swimming pool--- it takes forever for the water to heat up, then long after dark it is still warm. You cannot consider the thermal properties of moist wood in such an argument as you are changing the conditions of the materials.
The space shuttle Challenger--- it burned up years ago for lack of a few insulating tiles broken off during the launch. What were those tiles? Carbon! When you smoke your tobacco or cremate a body, what is left behind--- the ash, fundamentally carbon and trace minerals. When stars die in their old age, with millions of degrees in their core, what do they produce? Briar? No, Carbon. There is even a "carbon star." So when you treat your bowls with a coating of some kind to condition the bowl, you are essentially putting there some form of carbon or mineral because it is more resistant to the heat than the briar itself, be it a silica, ash, or some organic mixture that will carbonize.
What brought me to writing this? Time and again I read strongly put forth and defended arguments here that are simply pure bunk, often due to misunderstandings in the two parties each speaking of different things. Reading a link now on another thread about How to clean a pipe--- I thought what the hell and started reading it; here is one excerpt:
---Placing one finger or the palm of your hand over the top of the bowl, shake the pipe for a few seconds to evenly distribute the ash along the inside walls of the bowl, which will greatly speed the formation of "cake," a protective layer of carbonized tobacco and ash inside your pipe. Cake acts as an insulator, greatly extending the life of your pipe and guarding against burn outs.---
YES! Now, this is not news the method above, but it very well makes the point that the reason for cake is to /protect/ the pipe. If the carbon layer conducted heat more readily than the briar itself, it could not do that! But it is not really a matter of thermal conductivity here, but rather, one of thermal /stability./ And therein lies the oft-stated misunderstanding. The reason why cake works is because the carbon (or silica) is STABLE at a higher heat than the briar--- given a level of heat, briar is still an organic compound that will undergo chemical and structural changes. Carbon or silica will not. The point of the cake is not so much to /insulate/ the heat, otherwise, your bowl would feel no warmth, the point of the cake is to endure the contact with the hot flame of the burning tobacco because it will do so repeatedly without breakdown, whereas the briar would not, and this is what extends the life of the pipe.
So, perhaps a better way of thinking of cake and bowl coating is not as an “insulator” as much as a “wear surface.”

May 4, 2015
Yep. That all makes sense to me, but I'm still not convinced its necessary.
A thin carbon layer, as is left naturally by smoking a bowl and wiping it out completely, would seem sufficient to me as it's enough to take the direct heat from the ember away from the briar. Carefully building up to dime-thickness seems like overkill to me.
Could be wrong though - it's happened before.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have never had, or believed in a thick cake. When it gets noticeable I ream it. A dimes worth would be to thick for me. I wipe the bowl out after every smoke before the pipe cools.
In 30 ish years of pipe smoking I have burned out one bowl. It was a cheap basket pipe so I am blaming the pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will say this one last time, bowl coatings are for sissies and the only coating I would ever use is Welch's Grape Jelly.
Seriously, nothing taste better to me than the flavor of briar burning down with the flavor of my favorite tobacco. It is interesting that this subject continues to never die, I wonder why that is. Are we so out of topics that we need to resurrect this every month or so?
Water glass is without a doubt the foulest tasting, most vile bowl coating ever produced. Those who use it need to be drawn and quartered and should be made to smoke their own concoction daily. I wonder if they ever actually taste this crap, I would like to see their face while puffing on this swill.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Cigrmaster, do you know why it won't die?

Because people like TMB, who purports to not "give a flying crap about bowl coatings" yet devotes more than ten percent of his posts to the issue, insist on having the last word despite being warned that it's contentious.

May 4, 2015
Doesn't seem to matter. I smoke fine - you smoke fine - we all smoke fine. Does someone HAVE to be "right"?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Yes.... I do.
Anyway, while I GREATLY prefer an uncoated bowl I am smoking a small Becker pot that came coated with something. It was an inocuous coating when new and the pipe is breaking in just fine.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
And it was o-rings that had lost their elasticity due to the cold temperature that caused Challenger to explode.
Perhaps he meant Columbia? Although I am not sure if the foam insulating panels were carbon.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Where is Rod Serling when you need him? Episode 26, season 5... "The Bowl Coating Tar Pit Time Loop"
Or maybe it was an Outer Limits episode. I can't remember.
(btw, did you know Elizabeth Montgomery was in a Twilight Zone episode?)
JfF8TND.jpg

Anyway, there's definitely one of those Internet laws with a name for this sort of thing. I'm sure of it. Something along the lines of, "Rule 141-- Interact with the Internet long enough and you'll eventually see everything, no matter how improbable."

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It was Columbia, and the chunk of insulating foam did strike panels that were made of reinforced carbon carbon (RCC).
A coating or cake certainly is a wear surface, though it could be said to be insulating the briar from the effects of combustion.
The OP is informative with some pretty good stuff.
You guys on the other hand...
How's this for contentious:
Dunhills are overrated as is Penzanace.
Manliness declarations are unmanly.
Royal Yacht should be sunk. People who love it require deprogramming.
Chili is a soup.
Ayn Rand was the ultimate narcissist and that is the sum total of her achievements and her appeal.
The thicker the cake, the better. Especially if it's chocolate.
Anyone who can't slowly and coolly smoke every bowl of tobacco down to a fine white ash with only one light is not a real pipe smoker, will never be one, and should give it up.
Bambi Meets Godzilla is the finest expression of cinematic art. Nothing will ever rival it.
Professional Sports sucks the life out of millions. It should be banned.
Youtube pipe videos are 100% the finest, best researched, best produced, well structured, cool, informative, focused, timely, best photographed, balanced, best recorded, best lit, most intelligent, philosophical, terse, and cogent means of learning the hidden truths about pipes and tobaccos.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
While we are at it, it seems to me that wet tobacco will burn cooler than dry tobacco. Wet will burn your mouth worse but the temperature is cooler. Same way a steam sauna feels much hotter at a lower temperature.
Therefore smoking on the wet side is less abusive to your pipe than dry. The counter to this argument is that you have to over torch wet tobacco and this are abusing the pipe with flame. Finnaly, for what it is worth, I'm usually wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.