PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Why is it that again and again, it is the very last bowl of a tin when the "magic" happens? It seems that that is when a light bulb goes on and I realize what a great blend I have been smoking. Does this happen to anyone else?

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Sometimes I'm glad to finish a tin.
I find most tobacco smokes best when it's had sometime to breath, so I'll open a tin and jar it up and then over the course of a month or so I'll open the jar a few times to let some fresh air in. It helps some blends really come to life, maybe this explains the last bowl magic or perhaps you've just figured out how to smoke the blend to get the best out of it?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I hate when the first bowl of a fresh tin is outstanding then it goes south from the second bowl on.
+1 on the glad to finish a tin. Hate to throw the shit out. Life is to short to smoke crappy pipe tobacco.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Then there's the Aiwass effect! Smoke a few bowls of Awiss, then any blend that goes in that pipe is stellar.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
More often got the "that was great" factor for a tin, to find subsequent tins of the same blend were not so good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I know the experience. I suspect that when you scoop and shake out that last bowl from a tin or jar, you pay more attention. You don't immediately jump on the computer, into a book, or turn on the music, but puff slower and taste better. Sometimes I think that concentration is underutilized. We're so used to multiple activities and inputs to our brains, we tend to miss all or most of many of the experiences. Also, as with chasing scarce tobacco, you don't know what you've got until it's gone, or not available.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
It's the densest most mixed bowl of the tin. The remaining scraps and dust all melded together.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have experienced this and think it can be caused by any number of reasons, many have been mentioned. I find that my 100g tins of Hal O' The Wynd and Brown Clunee always get better as I move down the tin until the last couple of bowls are hard to beat. Others seem to get worse. Lately, I have found that Brown Sugar Flake is not as good after 3-4 weeks of being open. Then there are blends which are a complete enigma to me such as Full Virginia Flake. I can't seem to get any consistent pattern out of that. It's either sublime or nasty and any variation in-between.

Jul 12, 2011
Yep, for me it is a palate adjust; I need to be smoking pure Vs for at least 7-14 days to get that "magic" you speak of...but man when it happens...ooooooo yeah!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
This only happens to me with a blend I did not initially like, but by the time I burnt through most of the tin I seemed to have figured out how to smoke it and in which pipes. The worst part is then I keep wondering if I should buy another tin.
This happened to me with Peterson Irish Oak and Peterson Sherlock Holmes.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
So many blends are overly moist that maybe by the time you get to the bottom, the last of it has had enough chance to dry and is coming around to smoking as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.