PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
This one is for all of us who are pounding the pavement looking for some work. Nowadays in the morning, in addition to looking at the forums, I'm online applying for jobs. I'm sending out resume's making phone calls and stuffing envelopes.
The economy sucks and the job market is pitiful. How many of you guys are looking for work (either a better job or fighting unemployment) and what are you doing with your time? Are you focused on one career or just trying to fit in somewhere you can make a paycheck? This is also a thread for networking tips and tricks and general venting about the job hunting process.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've been there before. When I first moved to the Austin area I spent 10 months trying to find a job before I finally got a halfway decent temp gig working a crappy second shift for chump change. I know how frustrating it can be.
In my case I'm fortunate to have a decent position but I would really like to move to something with more challenge and opportunity for growth. Unfortunately, with the market as it is right now, I'm not going anywhere. I count my blessings because I could have it a lot worse but as an IT person, it's hard not to be frustrated when you feel stagnate and know your technical skills are slipping.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I've set a goal to apply for two jobs every week day and at least one on the weekends. I've got resume's in several online databases and government employment sites. Sometimes I have to mail or fax one, but most places direct you to the internet now.
Quality of employment is really more important than the money right now. I'm sick of working for companies that go down the crapper or outsource my job to save a buck.
Even the funeral industry is rough right now. All I can find is as-needed work and that's not enough for anything other than maybe a fall back if I have nothing.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I swear Baron, I saw your thread about ta-toes... I haven't checked back on it, but I see now what it came to.

Ya know, I have a few tips about interviews and attitudes, but it really depends on just what your looking for.

One thing I wouldn't do is hide the fact that you smoke a pipe. The new company/boss may want to know how much

time you might expect out in the smoking shed if that's available. (I guess that isn't even a possibility in

some places). Several places here are completely smoke free campuses. What ever that is. I swear, I wish you

luck.. I'm so pleased I'm retired.......

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
In the mortuary most people smoked either nails or stoges and there was even a piper. Break time was whenever there wasn't 4 bodies in the prep room and back to back death calls. The down side was ever fluctuating hours and pay and no benefits. Most morticians work until they're on the table themselves.
There was more stability where I am now, but that was before they stopped paying their bills and the SEC got involved. Now it's assholes and elbows and no safety for anyone. My wife also works there, so her job is at stake, too, so it's even more imperative that we find a better place.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As an FYI. My nephew just passed his X-Ray tech operator tests. It's apparently quite easy to take the classes and pass the tests. He has hid GED and decided he needed something more to make a decent living. He now does night shifts running X-Ray equipment in a Dallas emergency care center. Makes $30+ an hour since it's being paid double given the night shift. Plus it'll be another license in your back pocket. He does have several tats as well and wears long sleeves. But it's inside work. They don't tend to put the X-Ray machines on the roof or parking lots ;-)
Perhaps a thought to explore. PM me if you need more info and I'll get it from him.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I ever had to go back to work, I could walk into any car dealership in the country and get a job. If you don't mind long hours but good money, selling cars has always been a good way to earn a buck. It is not hard to learn, it is all about personality. Many car dealers will train people with no experience because it is strictly commission. The first month can be rough for some people if they have never sold anything, but if you work hard and pay attention, the money is there. I made 50k my first year on the floor in 1984, and never looked back. 2 years later I was a manager making a lot more. Anyone can do it,if they put their mind to it. I trained many sales people over the years and they all made good money.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I was recently unemployed for a few months before finding my current position. While I was unemployed I volunteered at a local dog shelter (I'd been volunteering there for the last few years, but was then able to dedicate more hours) and I noted this on my resume. It showed I was keeping busy, was involved in the community, etc. EVERY interviewer asked about my shelter work.
I would also recommend creating a profile on LinkedIn.com. It is quickly becoming THE source of professional business information for recruiting. Resumes are becoming less and less important and HR recruiters are looking at LinkedIn as their first (and sometimes ONLY) source of potential candidates.
Finally, I realize some have had some rough experiences with prior jobs, but there seems to be an angry, "us vs them" attitude when it comes to employers. Trust me, recruiters can pick up on this. Get rid of the "working FOR" attitude and think of it as "working WITH". If you can walk into an interview with a specific set of skills and and attitude of adding value to the team, you WILL get noticed.
Good luck!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I second the Linkedin suggestion. I've only been a member for a month but its already helped me with a few case studies and I've made a few valuable contacts.
There's got to be a morticians network on it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I haven't even thought about linkedin. I'll have to update my profile on there. I have one, but haven't done anything with it.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have secured a job doing Hospital Security at Semi-Retired hours. I decided I wanted to do this type of work, found the Company that is contracted and then sent 3-5 resumes per week to this location. After 3 or 4 weeks I was rewarded

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Baron, Never give up, Never surrender.
It's crazy tough out there but the ones that succeed are the ones that keep up the good fight.
Don't be ashamed to take a job just to pay the bills. You can always keep looking.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Some of you know that I am in the so called Job Market as well.

I've been talking to other MBAs that are in the same boat I am, and a few others.
The idea of hiring someone with an advanced education (meaning college educated) is basically off the table.

The reason is as follows.
If a company (those that are hiring) hires a person with a college degree, they believe that-that person will be gone at the first opportunity in favor of a position in their chosen field. The training costs of even a "regular job" (those not requiring a college degree)(this does not include "skilled labor" e.g. welders) cannot be recouped for at least two years... Most companies that are in need of a MBA or other advanced degree will not hire until after the election. There will probably be a spike in hiring if the election goes one way. If it goes the other, they will not hire until after tax-magedon has been resolved.
That is as close to a political statement as I will go.

This is only an opinion based on conversation with my peers.
This is not an opportunity or permission to begin a political discussion.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I second what Lawrence says about so-called "over qualified". I pounded ye olde pavement for months and months, but nothing. Ok, this will sound weird, perhaps, but I have a Masters of Education, but no Bachelors (of Education), so I cannot teach in public schools. So, I'm starting a Bachelor of Ed. program in Sept. that will at least let me do what I want. Jobs may be hard to find in the teaching sector, as with any sector, but at least I won't continue applying for random entry-level office positions. :crying:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Well that gives me some info. Would it be unethical to take my funeral services stuff off my resume' when applying for stuff that's not in that field? They may be thinking hey as soon as a funeral home opens a job up he's out of here, which isn't necessarily going to happen. It really depends on money and whether I'm happy doing whatever I'm doing. I'd actually like to drop real work an write full time, but not enough money right now. Still cranking out stories, articles and the occasional book when I can though.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's a tough question Baron.

From my days in my "Ethics" classes, I'd say that an omission could still be considered a falsification.

If during the background check they found your school records indicating your funerary certification, they may not view the omission favorably.

I haven't more that a customer's interaction with the Funerary Arts, but as for my Purchasing experience... I've personally spent more than $300 Million reaching a retail value of close to a half Billion. But, that (in HR's mentality) demonstrates too much experience. Therefore; I must be too expensive. :roll:

I've purchased just about every thing from lady's unmentionables, to impact drills, to High Voltage Circuit Switchers... to me "parts-is-parts". It's the game that I enjoy, and might add; am good at. But, as one Head Hunter put it... You suffer from "Muchness". Too much experience, too much education, and too much age.... Yeah right.

I believe I have submitted applications to every major organization in the Central Alabama, and many smaller companies (which would be my preference by the way).

Currently; my count is well in excess of 2,000 applications resulting in only 6 interviews.

It's a tough room out there right now.

I wish you more luck than I have had.

:puffy:

PS If anyone is looking for a Purchasing Manager see my Linkedin icon. There are a number of us that have connections through Linkedin... I am proud to count both Kevin, and Clint among those.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You should have at least 2 different resumes. When applying for a position, taylor your resume and cover letter to suit that position. In other words, don't submit a resume that shows your are over qualified for the position you are trying to get, On the flip, don't submit a resume that makes you look lacking for a position you are applying for. Hence, the 2 resumes

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
VENT, VENT, VENT.

It isn't easy like it used to be. I have 15 years experience in my field of credit counceling, collections, and data entry. I have been on maybe a dozen interviews with almost 300 resumes sent out. I have posted on about 37 job search sites and 25 job placement companies. My biggest problem is when they find out my last rate of pay they are afraid I am going to jump ship at the next better paying job. I understand they can't match the $26.50 I was making at the last job and I am fine with that.
Right now I would move horse shit with my bare hands just to make it. Not realy, but you know how I feel.
Realisticly all I need is $15 an hour to cover child support and to live more comfortably than just getting by pay check to pay check on my wifes pay and my unemployment. But no company wants to hear that. They want to hear "I want to make a career working for you." Some companies understand this but are just too sceptical.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I typed up a long and rambling screed on freedom and liberty, and a lot of stuff that would have gotten me banned and probably fired, but I did not post it out of respect for Lawrence. But the bottom line survived:
"Whichever way the November charade goes, The Government will still be hiring - at Federal, State, and local levels."
I work for The Man. We hired 20+ people this month. Good luck and God Bless to all of you - there is nothing worse than being out of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.