PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Last week, I received a Ben Wade pipe in the mail from a won pipestud ebay auction. This pipe had a wonderful smelling ghost, so I started smoking "codger" blends in order to isolate that smell as I had smelled it previously in a few other estate pipes, as well as an antique tobacco jar in my collection. More to the point, I have been smoking Prince Albert, Carter Hill, and Sir Walter Raleigh exclusively for over a week, and find myself reaching for them over my high end tobaccos. They have an old time charm and room note that the newer more sophisticated blends can't touch. Not that I plan on giving up my cellar for them, just think I will definitely make room there for them.
Duane

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sometimes the "codgers" are hard to beat!

I regularly smoke some Carter Hall, Half & Half, or Prince Albert to change things up. Sometimes they leave me NOT wanting to go back to my regular blends.
Some "codgers" I really miss, are Sugar Barrel and Walnut. Those are really good ones that, IMO, should still be around.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@petes03 P&C has match blends for those called Sweet Cask and Chestnut available in 14 oz containers fo $24.99.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
My codger of choice is definitely Sir Walter Raleigh, with Half and Half being a backup. I thought it was PRince Albert or CArter Hall but they've both fell out of favor with me. It also looks like I better get used to Captain Black since it's the only blend my wife cares for right now.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Have yet to 're-visit' half&half since the days of my ute, but I've got PA,SWR,and CH in my rotation.

These may be 'codger blends'...but they're NOT the least expensive tobacco I smoke.

I think I might lean toward the PA if pushed to choose just one, but I enjoy them all.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I smoked a lot more codger this week than not, mostly because they are easier to smoke when you include the loading of the pipe in your choice. 8) 8)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Some people like that sort of thing. Its purely a matter of preference I suppose. I have tried Prince Albert but I have never really cared for the stuff and the same applies to most US OTC tobacco's but thats because I am used to British OTC's of my youth. That being said if you mix Prince Albert with.............. :rofl:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Condor's on my list too. :wink: Don't get me wrong, Esoterica, Balkan, Mac Baren, C&D, McClelland, and several other top shelf tobaccos comprise the bulk of my rotation and cellar. Just interesting to see that "codger" blends have been around as long as they have for a reason.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I love codger burleys. Got an pouch of SWR I working on right now. They might be close to being my favorites, but I enjoy a little of just about everything.

Oct 12, 2014
At least a few times a year I go on a codger tangent. The Prince, Granger & Half & Half are usually on the docket. I'll spend weeks smoking them nearly exclusively then drop them as quickly as I picked them up. But they always return and I always keep them in stock.
If you haven't yet do try SWR aromatic. It's quite good for an occasional pouch. Good flavor, good burn. No goop.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', you might want to try a pouch of Granger, which is another codger classic. It's rough cut burley

and just a little different from any of the others. Might suit you, and it's worth a try.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Put in a order for SWR aro, Granger, and P&C's match for Sugar Barrel called Sweet Cask. Velvet is one I do smoke from time to time. Have a pouch of it in my desk at work. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Carter Hall has been in my rotation since I started.

It's still my "go to" tobacco for breaking in any new pipe, especially cobs.

Also, I like to keep a pouch in my truck due to it's easy scoop and smoke properties.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
or don't you have Codgers in Britain?
I think codgers are a British invention. Wait, you were talking about tobacco...
In seriousness, Carter Hall and Half&Half are among the tobaccos I reach for most frequently.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
In my view a Codger blend is any long run OTC the Old Timers still smoke. This differs from country to country.
The Codger blends I smoke are Exclusiv Royal (Germany) and Obester Vanilla (Hungary).

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Hello. My name is Fred and I'm a Codger.
When I first started the pipe, I started with Cherry Blend (like most of the guys in college at the time). Quickly found it not to my liking. Ended up with SWR, and smoked it for many years, along with an occasional pouch of PA or Edgeworth. Never cared for Half/Half, because of the anise flavoring, I think. Never tried CH because the label always looked like an aromatic. I found out a couple of years ago that it is not, and now have it as my choice when I'm in the shop or at the range. Goes really well with strong, black coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.