PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have been becoming more attuned to the importance of the pipe stem as of late. There is no question that in my early smoking days I noticed when a stem was not comfortable, but it was not that obvious when it was comfortable. Today, I truly appreciate the pleasures of a comfortable stem.
There are a couple key components when it comes to the comfort of the pipe stem. Material, overall thickness and the size of bit are obvious, but I find the width to play a vary important role as well. To narrow, the pipe does not feel secure in the mouth. To wide on the other hand and the pipe is too intrusive, does not settle between the teeth. Also, seeing as how every persons mouth is different, I can only imagine the difficulty pipe makers face in constructing a good mouth piece.
Personally, I love the saddle stem, not too picky on the material. I find they tend to work well with my clench, keeping my lips and teeth along the same plane. I also appreciate the drastic indent / transition when the stem meets the shank of a saddle bit. I find this to be comfortable and oddly inviting while smoking.
What are all of your experiences with pipe stems? How important are they when purchasing a new pipe (in your eyes)? Which would you consider to be your favorite styles; saddle, tapered, fishtail, army mount, P-Lip? What is your favorite material; would it be vulcanite or ebonite, acrylic or lucite, amber or horn, bakelite or wood?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Definitely a hugely important aspect of pipe enjoyment here. I think this is what drives the almost obsessive hunt for "improved" stem options for Missouri Meerschaum products.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's important to me. I'm a vulcanite guy that likes them not too thick and not too thin. I prefer tapered to saddle because the overall balance of the pipe works better for me. My second favorite stem material is reed.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I like Vulcanite, but haven't been smoking long enough for my opinion to count for too much.

I have several different materials, but I always come back to tried and true vulcanite. Good maintenance offsets any problems with oxides for me.

I prefer a tapered bit. For me, having the stem get thinker closer to a thin button gives me a secure clench. Saddle stems tend to leave the pipe too floppy in my clench.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Something I need to pay more attention to. So far, I've only considered filing or sanding down a couple of bits that are large and/or too square- i.e. Edges are noticeable, and might be better rounded. So far, I ain't done it. Any tips?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The stem is the pipe. It's almost that simple. I didn't really believe this, having heard it quietly from a few top-end makers. I sought magic briar. I hunted magic combinations of chamber size, wall thickness, and airway bore.
At the end of the day, the stem controls way more about how the pipe smokes than any other element in construction.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The stem is the pipe. It's almost that simple. I didn't really believe this, having heard it quietly from a few top-end makers. I sought magic briar. I hunted magic combinations of chamber size, wall thickness, and airway bore.
At the end of the day, the stem controls way more about how the pipe smokes than any other element in construction.
True story. Years ago, I replaced a P-Lip military stem that was original to one of my pipes with a fishtail. I replicated the dimensions exactly (except for the fishtail portion, of course), EXCEPT for a tubular 1mm protrusion on the end of the stem that fit into the shank. I left it about 2mm long. Figured it looked more elegant, maybe, doing so let me finish sooner, or something. I can't recall why.
What I DO recall is the new stem basically wrecked the pipe, smoking-wise. It gurgled like a someone trying to get the last few drops of Pepsi from a 44oz travel cup with a straw. It was insane. The P-Lip smoked great, I just didn't care for the thick & narrow cross section of it. So the problem had nothing to do with the "briar half."
So, I messed with the slot. Opened the neck, made it taller, polished it more, you name it, I tried it. No joy. It still smoked like a swamp.
After messing with it and coming back to it a few times---I really liked the "briar half" of the pipe and wanted to get it working---I remember suddenly wondering on what planet that extra millimeter I'd left could possibly matter, but what the hell, I'd cut it off. Couldn't hurt, and all that. The result? Of course you know... the damn pipe instantly went from paperweight to killer-good. Today, it rates a spot in my lifetime Deserted Island 7-day set. Tastes great, dry as a bone, and reliable as gravity.
Go figure.
Since then, I've seen many similar, if somewhat less dramatic, instances of a stem being the make-or-break component when it comes to a pipe's smoking performance. Add comfort into the mix, and there you go. The key.
So, listen to Sas. He might be the human equivalent of a frozen mammoth, and prone to snacking on errant campers and hikers that wander by, but he speaks Truth when it comes to stems. What he says aligns exactly with my experience, anyway.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
My favorite pipe as a very large button, and I love this for letting it rest against the back of my teeth. It makes for an effortless clench and the pipe is a rather large Dublin. I'm not sure if I like ebonite or vulcanite better as of yet. Both have some great qualities to me. With ebonite I feel like there is far less flex when I clench and I also never feel the need to loosen up my clench on an ebonite stem. But sometimes the ebonite just feels too hard. The vulcanite stems do leave me feeling a little conscious about my clench as I don't want to damage them. But they are certainly comfortable.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not sure if I like ebonite or vulcanite better as of yet.
Ebonite is just an old trade name for vulcanite. Like Scotch is to cellophane tape, or Kleenex is to tissue.
You are probably thinking of acrylic (Poly(methyl methacrylate) material, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poly(methyl_methacrylate) which is also known by its trade names Perspex, Lucite, Acrylite, and Plexiglas.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I totally believe the stem makes the difference. Take Kaywoodie for example. Smoke and old (1919-1928) vs a modern (1950's +) and you get handcut vs machine. Night and day.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have found that I cannot abide a horn stem. Clenching one is like nails on a chalkboard to me. They also usually have small buttons that make it difficult to clench.
I prefer acrylic, but am not opposed to vulcanite fundamentally.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I find the cut a bit more important than the material. I prefer vulcanite but a well cut acrylic works almost as well for me.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That is a great story George, thanks for sharing.
EXCEPT for a tubular 1mm protrusion on the end of the stem that fit into the shank. I left it about 2mm long

I am not sure what this is. Are you talking a small piece of plastic off the tenon?
I would love to learn how to mess around with my pipe stems to see if that will fix some of my under-performing pipes, but I have no clue where to start.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The only opinion I have on this, is that unless you've smoked molded or machine made stems AND a hand cut stem from rod stock . . . your opinion on this matter doesn't really count ! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.