PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hello all

Just five minutes ago I finished a bowl of G.L. Pease' Abingdon. When I got this blend last June I quite liked it, but found it a bit 'bright'; not exactly harsh, but not quite as wonderful as I'd hoped. After only ten months in the cellar, it has changed in a way I could never have predicted. It is much deeper, mellower and quite simply much better. I have noticed a similar deepening of the Va/Per blend I got, cannot for the life of me rememer the name.

So please, get enough GLP to cellar a lot of it and have patience. I really wish I'd bought about 5 times more Union Square now

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Yea, U agree we are much like a fine wine, I have many blends that I prove with age. There's hope for all of us.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Shit, sorry!! I do miss those specs - I misread it as "ImpOtence", and I was just about to wax poetical on the subject !! lol. Forgive me.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Happy:
I don't know how long you've been smoking a pipe -- you play it close to the vest in your Profile! :) -- but if you have the stock to let your tins age for at least 3 years, I think you'll be very pleased. And if you don't have the supply for that now, it's something I'd suggest considering for the future. . . buy one tin to smoke and one (or more) to forget about in the cellar.
Bob

Check out a B&M. When I order online, I tend to get fresh stuff, because they flip inventory more often. But, when I go to my B&M, he keeps dragging out boxes of tins that have at least 5+ years on it, especially in the C&D and GLP line up. Of course, some of the more popular blends, he has to keep :::blah::: fresh tins, because he runs out occasionally.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I purchased a package of those little stickers from Office Depot (US) and put a sticker on the bottom of the tin such as "PD 2014/03/13" (the year/month/day format is in case I ever put my cellar collection on a spreadsheet - wouldn't it be nice to have that much stashed away!). Even if the tin happens to have a date on it, I am more interested in how long it is in my cellar under very controlled conditions of temperature, etc. Who knows where the stuff was stored before it got to me.

Spencer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm smoking down several of my over-the-counter and bulk blends and letting my sealed tins age, including

GLP Westminster, Dunhill Royal Yacht and Elizabethan, Low Country Cooper, and others. A little time after

the tin is opened often brings up tobacco even more, like letting wine breathe after opening. I have some of

the stand-up tins where the artwork shows lined up across the top of a pipe cabinet and they look really good.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hey rmbittner

My pipesmoking has been in two phases, for a couple of years in the late Eighties and this time around I'm into my seventh year. I've only really encountered maturing in the context of GLP as far as I'm aware, on tobaccoreviews.com and on this site. I'm only 45 so I can look forward to many decades of enjoyment [hopefully]. Thing is, I'm on the move, or at least haven't settled down, so it'll be a bit difficult to put some down for a few years.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Whenever I open a tin that has been slumbering in my cellar, I like to think: we have both aged. Let's see who has fared better.

Status
Not open for further replies.