PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Morning gents. I was pondering this question a moment ago and felt compelled to ask. What is the all hub-ub about the limited editions? Tin quantity? Brand? Tin art? The blend itself? Scarcity years later? What draws you to buy these?
I myself have bought Sam Gawith 2013 and 2014 limited editions. And MM Independence Day.
I find Sam Gawiths are ok, but the MM is a good nougat aromatic.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The only "limited edition" tobacco I buy on a regular basis are the Christmas aromatic blend created each year by GQ Tobacco, and the annual iteration of Christmas Cheer. Christmas Cheer is always a wonderful blend of mature Virginias in a broken flake. They are delicious out of the tin and age well. Glynn's aromatic is always a high quality aro, with wonderful seasonal flavours. I only buy enough to smoke through the two weeks around Christmas and New Year's Eve.
So in each instance, I'm interested in the quality of the tobacco. In the case of Christmas Cheer, I buy to cellar. In the case of the GQ Christmas Blend, I buy for a unique taste for a short window.
They could be sent in wax paper and I'd still buy them. Tin art isn't on my list of things I like paying for.
-- Pat

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo agg - these days, the limited edition phenomenon may, in the issuer's aspirations, tickle the ubobtanium-seeking gene in some. In other cases, a blender may have a small amount of especially interesting leaf - say a recently discovered stash of Syrian Latakia - and rather than dilute its impact and to take advantage of its specific attributes, choose to make only a few tins' worth. I recall the late Jay Jones of Hermit saying that with some of his small runs. I wonder if some of the one batchers that Pease and others have done for the pipe clubs and shows fall into this category.
hp

les

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I don't think I am drawn to buy a limited edition for any other reason being that I may like it and want to get some before it's gone. I did buy the Squadron Leader with perique because I like Squadron Leader to begin with. Luckily, I was not disappointed and will smoke it until it's gone. I only have a collection due to the fact that I buy faster than I consume.

I don't chase limited editions or hard to get tobaccos or cigars in general anymore. As a long time cigar smoker, I got caught up in the chase at times and finally realized it usually isn't worth it. Nowadays, it seems every other new cigar is branded as a limited or regional edition. I think it just helps the manufacturer to get the consumer to think they are getting something special and to create a sense of urgency to buy.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I always buy Peterson's Special Reserve, Summertime, and Holiday Season blends. They're aromatics that agree with my palate. I also love the tin artwork. I save the tins and display them in my pipe cabinet.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I buy them for different reasons. Sometimes it's for the tobacco blend being offered and once in awhile it is strictly for the tin art. Some of the blends bought for the tin art have been very good and some of them not so much. :puffy:

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Is there more aromatic limiteds than English, Latakia, vaper, etc? I would think if there were more non Arros then popularity would be higher.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smoking is an enthusiasm, so it is understandable that people like to jump on the newest sensational blend, but it's probably not a great way to buy tobacco. Probably better to make a list of the regularly available blends that appeal to you described in reviews or in online retail, and then order them over time, if they still appeal to you later. I admit, I asked to be gifted with some McClellands Christmas Cheer 2015, to age and enjoy up the road, but that one seems to have been tried and true over a number of years. Some pipe people just savor the excitement of diving on the latest thing, and if that's fun in itself, I don't want to be a spoil-sport. And, after all, some of the special series are really good blends ... but not all, and probably not most.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I tend to avoid the limited edition stuff, simply because I'm afraid I'll find something I really like, and then never be able to get it again.
I'm still in the sampling stage, though, so I've got plenty to try before I start looking for rare, limited or otherwise "exotic" smokes.
I did buy two tins of MM Independence Day, though. It was quite good, but tended to burn my tongue. I've learned to smoke slower, now. I wonder how I'll like it when I open up the second tin.
I hope I don't like it TOO much, because then it'll be gone for good...

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I've found if I'm not overly fond of my limiteds I force myself to use them as a quick smoke rather than savoring them for an hour.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
always buy Peterson's Special Reserve, Summertime, and Holiday Season blends. They're aromatics that agree with my palate. I also love the tin artwork. I save the tins and display them in my pipe cabinet.
I'm the same, although last year's Summertime didn't appeal to me - the smack of lemon when I open it up everytime just hit's me bad.
When my post count is up, I'll sell it. But I keep the tins - they look nice on display in my pipe cabinet.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Never bought one. From other industries, I am familiar with the limited edition, and consider it a case of "no added advantage." There is novelty, perhaps, and maybe rarity, as some have said. But nothing with utility. As with expensive sports cars, I am glad there are people who buy them and help keep the industry alive in this way. A short-run can also be a good place to experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.